Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 SSK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ceedah
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  10:07:39 PM  Show Profile Send ceedah a Private Message
Help! I'm working on my first sock (well, technically my second - I gave up on my first :(), and I'm confused about this whole SSK thing. My pattern tells me to sl1, sl1, knit them together with the left needle, and then knit one. That all seems well and good, but given that on the wrong side, I p2tog and then p1, I'm going further over on that side. My heel seems to be off to one side. Question: when I do the SSK, am I supposed to then slip the decreased stitch back over to the right needle? Because that's the one I've been knitting into for the k1, and I'm not quite sure that's right.

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
SSK
1.slip each stitch as if you are going to knit it.
2. put your left hand needle into the front of the 2 stitches from the left. When you have done this it will look the same as if you are knitting 2 together through the back of the loop.
3. wrap yarn around right needle as usual and complete your stitch. It will be on your right needle.

If you don't understand the instruction above try this: (its the same thing but easier to understand)
1. slip each stitch as if to knit on to the left needle
2. slip back to the right needle purlwise.
3. knit 2 together through back of loop.

Good luck with your socks

Wen

2004 stats: 20 FO, 7 WIP, 27 wool purchased, 4 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  3:14:14 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
The stitch after the SSK or the P2tog has nothing to do with the decrease. It's just the next stitch. Either way you are devreasing one stitch and then moving on.

Hmm, I'm not an expert sock knitter, but the few I've done the decreases have always been done on the right side. Are you sure you are supposed to be P2tog on the wrong side?

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  5:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
OK, let's see if I can help:

1) After you SSK, do NOT put the stitch back on the original needle, just keep on going.
2) Yes, on the "wrong" side you purl two together rather than SSK; that makes the slant go in the opposite direction and makes everything even and tidy.

Hope that answers your questions!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

ceedah
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  5:21:45 PM  Show Profile Send ceedah a Private Message
Thanks for the replies! Wen, your description was very helpful. What the original directions I had neglected to mention was that you still wrap the yarn around the right needle and not the left.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe