Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Pet damage to your supplies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  03:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
quote:

I once owned a whole set of balene circular needles--sizes 3 through 10.5......then we got a puppy and he ATE them. He did not chew them.. he ATE them... every bit....all I had left was the cables. It turns out that balene was made with a milk base and where I saw knitting utensils, he saw food!

I thought that balene or baleen or however it's spelled was made out of whale bone.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hi,

The balene needles are made from a milk base, but they are the closest thing to whalebone we have. Evidently whalebone is the #1 thing for the best knitting needles and balene was developed to imitate it and as a substitute for it. There is a difference in the spelling, but I do not know which is which. One refers to the original ones made of whalebone and the other refers to the substitue made from milk.

fran

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  11:15:58 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Just to add to the confusion - or perhaps clarify about a hairsbreadth-worth - isn't casein a milk protein? I know there are casein needles out there somewhere.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  10:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
quote:

Just to add to the confusion - or perhaps clarify about a hairsbreadth-worth - isn't casein a milk protein? I know there are casein needles out there somewhere.

lemons of missouri

Yup... I am afraid my munchie kitty would eat them.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.