Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Best yarn for aran sweaters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edithcone
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  06:45:44 AM  Show Profile Send edithcone a Private Message
Hi, What are your favorite yarns for aran sweaters? I've been considering Rowan Magpie, Jamieson's Aran or Jamieson's Soft Shetland. Is there a yarn that will give great stitch definition yet be comfortable to wear? I'd love to hear your opinions. For the amount of work that will be involved (probably A. Stamore's Inishmere), I don't want to be disappointed in how the yarn performs! Thanks.

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  06:54:32 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I've stashed Magpie to make Inishmore with. Magpie's being discontinued, so if you want it, you should probably act quickly. It's a very nice yarn with good stitch definition. Soft Shetland is a bit lighter than a traditional aran yarn; it's closer to 5 stitches to the inch than 4 1/2. I haven't tried Jameison's Aran, although I've heard good things about it and plan to try it. I've also heard that Halcyon Yarns has a good aran yarn that's available in a lot of colors.

One reason I stashed Magpie for Inishmore is that the gauge is very tight. I haven't swatched the Magpie yet, but it's the yarn in the pattern, so I'm willing to try it. It may be impossible to get gauge with a denser aran weight. I swatched Soft Shetland and had to pull tight to get gauge. Cascade 220 is also a bit lighter than an aran weight, but might work because the gauge is so tight. I think you need a heavy yarn knit tightly to make the pattern stand out.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  08:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I've used Rownspun Aran and gotten gauge easily, and the stitch definition is good. The colors are all heathered, though, so you may or may not like them.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

edithcone
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  09:16:19 AM  Show Profile Send edithcone a Private Message
Thanks, mbmoody, I meant Inishmore. I was wondering about the gauge myself. I think it's 22 st./4" over Moss stitch for the pattern. I've found a few sources for Magpie so maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it. I had originally bought some beautiful Pingouin Coeur de Laine in a powder blue, 100% wool and a gauge of 18 st./4". However, I decided I want a traditional look so I'm going to do it in a natural/cream colour instead. Coeur de Laine is beautiful and has great stitch definition but is maybe a little soft for a traditional aran.
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I've done cable work with Mission Falls 1824 Wool which is a classic aran weight. It's very soft but has great stitch definition and is machine washable. Mission Falls comes in a wide variety of colors including the classic natural creamy color.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe