Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 ??? about what side to put bottons on sweater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:14:08 AM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
I am making a baby sweater - for a baby coming in November. The happy couple do not know what they are having so I made it in pastel green - safe for boy or girl. My question comes with placing the button holes - for a boy or for a girl? She already has two boys - should I make it for a boy since she is use to buttoning for boys? What would you do?

KathyT

fabrickppr@aol.com
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  10:20:15 AM  Show Profile Send fabrickppr@aol.com a Private Message
I would say to make it for a boy.
The only reason why womens are placed on the other side is that years ago, women had a maid who helped dress them and it was easier for the maid to button up the garments if the buttons faced the other way. Funny how such a silly tradition has not changed, the buttons that is, not having a maid to dress you :0)
BarbieDoll
Go to Top of Page

KathyT
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  2:32:35 PM  Show Profile Send KathyT a Private Message
Thank you Barbiedoll - boy side it is!

KathyT

Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  3:27:23 PM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
It was my understanding the women dressed the men which is why men's is on the left. At least that's what I was taught and is believed in the fashion industry.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2002 :  9:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
How important is this to you? Most people looking at the sweater don't know for sure which side to put them on anyway. Years ago, my mother made her baby sweaters with buttonholes on both sides, then she stitched up the holes on one side and put the button over the top of it. That way the buttons could be switched depending on the sex of the child if it really mattered to the mother. She also tried to find out whether the mother wanted a boy or a girl. If a boy she put pink ribbons on the sweater and if a girl she put blue ones on. Then she packed an extra set in with the gift in the opposite color. She said that if they didn't get what they wanted, all they had to do was use the sweater, but if they got what they wanted, they would be so happy that they wouldn't mind changing the ribbons.

I use a slightly different technique when I make my cardigans. I put my buttonholes on one side and opposite them I make a mistake in the button band. Then when finished, all I have to do is sew the buttons on the mistakes--no measuring. (I make most of my sweaters in the round with attached bands)

Fran

Go to Top of Page

fabrickppr@aol.com
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile Send fabrickppr@aol.com a Private Message
(It was my understanding the women dressed the men which is why men's is on the left. At least that's what I was taught and is believed in the fashion industry)
Hi Ajar,
I had never heard that version. I am curious to find out now. I work in Manhatten in the garment center and it had been told the other way.
I tried to look it up on the internet, but so far haven't found it, if anyone does let me know.
I guess its one of those things when a story gets passed on it changes in the passing.
I always pictured the time era's like Gone With the Wind,
with Scarlet and Mammy, made sense to me.
BarbieDoll
Go to Top of Page

maya
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  09:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send maya a Private Message
I had read that women's clothes buttoned the way they do due to breast feeding. Men's button the way they do as they had to be able to get to their swords quickly. I was involved in collecting antique clothes for a long time, but don't know if this is accurate or where I read it.
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  3:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
For a baby sweater,I recently read the suggestion that you knit both sides identical without buttonholes and after "the blessed event" use snaps or velcro for closure as appropriate (boy or girl and sew buttons over the top flap. I did this for a baby sweater just completed, even though I knew it was a girl - I just don't like making buttonholes. I used the clear plastic snaps which are a bit firm snapping but invisible and sewed decorative buttons on the top flap. The new mom was thrilled. A handmade baby sweater is always accepted with thanks and wonder, especially if the mom is a non-knitter.

Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  12:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
When I make baby sweaters, I put the buttons on the right front (the way for a man's sweater). My reasoning for this is two-fold:

(1) Since mothers in our society still do most of the child care, they will most likely be dressing the baby. And since women button their own clothes with their left hand, it would probably be easier for them to button baby's clothes with their left hand as well.

(2) The recipient had better not have the gall to comment on which side the buttons are on! After all, I made them a sweater! And if they are *that* uptight about gender identity, then they really just need to chill.

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

modeknit
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  1:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit modeknit's Homepage Send modeknit a Private Message
Just always remember - "Women are right, and men are left-over" That's how we remembered it in the Costume shop!

Best,
Annie
http://www.modecard.com/blogger.html
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
i usually put buttonholes on both button bands and sew the buttons to twill tape. let mommy figure out what side it ought to go on! and who knows, maybe it'll get handed down to the next wee one!

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2002 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
If you do the buttons like a girl's, it would probably be easier for them to button it. Otherwise, it probably doesn't matter.

Just my two cents
Amanda

quote:

I am making a baby sweater - for a baby coming in November. The happy couple do not know what they are having so I made it in pastel green - safe for boy or girl. My question comes with placing the button holes - for a boy or for a girl? She already has two boys - should I make it for a boy since she is use to buttoning for boys? What would you do?

KathyT

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?