Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Editorial Suggestion Box for Knitter's Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  05:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Clara, I look forward to this newsletter every week. It's the only knit discussion I keep up with because the format is user friendly. I would prefer the posts to the forum stay in the order they are - it's easy to click on the last page or go to the bottom and work your way up when looking for a response toyour own post. The polls are great fun, and the reviews of yarns and books are very helpful (I've avoided bad purchases a couple of times ) Suggestion for a review or a forum - speakers for classes/seminars - who is inspiratioanl, versatile with their teaching methods, etc. What do you think about having a project that we all (those who chose to) work on at our own pace, and write with questions/comments/pictures? Thanks for all you do!

Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  07:25:27 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
Dear Clara,

The internet has revived my interest in knitting, particularly through your weekly newsletter. How wonderful to be connected to such a dedicated group of skilled people. There are almost no knitters in my circle of friends, so this link is very important to nurturing my creativity and stretching me to learn new skills. Thank you.

I find the archives a valuable tool and often check back on issues, such as using Kool Aide as a die or learning about felting, when I'm ready to try something new. The review of new yarns is priceless - another wonderful way to gain confidence to try new things. The introduction of new places to buy yarn - on line or at stores is wonderful too. Keep doing what you are doing!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

grannygoodknit@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  6:28:27 PM  Show Profile Send grannygoodknit@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hi,

My favorite part is the yarn review. You test various yarns and tell us if you find a problem, and therefore save us from finding out the hard way. I'd like more yarn reviews, on more brands.

Thanks,

Bennie-Ruth
Go to Top of Page

lucyvp
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile Send lucyvp a Private Message
Clara:

The site was fantastic, and the new version is even better (oh no, more spending opportunities...). Really, it's hard to think of what would improve it, except of course for Cocos for all.

If there was an easy way to suggest a yarn, a book, or a tool to review, perhaps an email link on the yarn, book, tool reviews page? Maybe it's there and I just missed it?

My vote is for keeping the forum posts in the order they're in, rather than reverse order.

Also, I have to vote for not allowing picture posts in the forums -- I realize it's a hassle to post pictures elsewhere, but pictures do slow down page loading time lots.

Thanks for the fab site! -- lucyvp
Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  12:22:11 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
Clara,
I too think that this is a wonderful and informative site !
I do think that posting photos would be terrific...
I think it would be nice to know when someone has answered your question and not everytime someone answeres a question in that subject. Like ... I replied to a sock question a while back and now always get a notice when anyone writes in that topic...I guess it would be too hard just to get notified on your perticular question..

Gee... Aren't I pickey!!!!! So Sorry
Do still get some CHOCOLATE.... :)

Go to Top of Page

navyseel
Chatty Knitter

142 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  2:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit navyseel's Homepage Send navyseel a Private Message
Hi Clara,

I have one more suggestion. Is it possible to have a "zoom in" or "click for larger image" feature on the photos of the yarn and swatch in yarn reviews? I'd love to get a closer look at some of the swatch samples.

The new site structure looks great. Congrats on the lovely boutique and on 10,000 subscribers (and counting)!

Celia
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Ooooo these are all excellent suggestions - some of them more feasible than others, but all totally helpful. (For example, Terri Shea's comments are at the heart of a technical issue we can't easily fix regarding using includes and ASP to populate pages - that's why you get the bland page header in search results.) And thanks for the comments about the redesign. It was a labor of love, but I hope it makes your lives easier.

Good suggestion about the clickable swatch and skein pictures. I'll try to work that into things moving forward.

And as always, THANK YOU to everybody!!!!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

brendamyfrienda
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile Send brendamyfrienda a Private Message
Clara,
Thank you for including pictures of actual knitting when reviewing a yarn. This encourages me to check out yarns I might not have been interested in, otherwise.

Sincerely,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

rkhats@alltel.net
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  08:03:29 AM  Show Profile Send rkhats@alltel.net a Private Message
I am a new subscriber and I really like KR. I am looking forward to Fridays already. Is everyone into sock knitting? I haven't knitted socks for more years than I want to remember. What is Opal yarn? Our local store is Walmart altho in the nearest large town (sixty miles) there are craft stores and one yarn store. I am really new at this internet stuff buying, etc. Keep up the good work. KR is great.

RJ
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  07:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Thanks Brenda, and welcome RJ! Opal is a wonderful sock yarn with a color pattern pre-printed onto it. All you have to do is knit it up and the color pattern appears as you knit. We did a full-scale review of it a while ago (which explains the color idea better than I did just now) at:

http://knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=Opal

Have fun!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  1:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I have to say, I vote for not allowing people to upload photos on the forums. Once I thought it would be a good idea, but with my own website I've noticed that there are pages that take FOREVER to load, which I'm working to alleviate. I think the pages might get too cluttered with everyone posting photos. Maybe there could be a members list that had each member's name and their website url. If you want to see a particular member's website and they don't have it in their profile, you can go look at it. To be included in the members list, you could make people sign up, so that they are listed even though they might not have added the url to their member profile. Does that make sense??

erica :)
(knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  04:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
What about having a separate section for photos? I don't know if that would rectify the problem, but it would mean that people would choose to take the time to load those pages or not. Is that the case, or would it slow down everything just to have the pictures there at all?

I agree that I wouldn't like things to run much more slowly, since it doesn't take much to slow my computer down, but it would also be nice to see photos - not everyone has a webpage to put things on, they might just have a digital camera but nowhere to post the photos!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Some groups have a separate area for photos that can be accessed publicly others by name and password. On one, (ample-knitters) photos are mailed to the listmom who puts them on the net. This also gives some control of just what is put up under the lists name. I am sure this problem can be worked out and knowing Clara, she probably has investigated some aspects of it already.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
Clara, since you briefly mention Cowichan knitting in your review of the White Buffalo yarn, why not write a little more on this topic? I would certainly enjoy reading about the history of the Cowichan sweater, and see photos of an example or two (or three!)

--Beth :-)
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  10:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Could you review one or more of the yarns that have to be knit with a special pattern because of the way they shrink? I think Rowan Denim, Alice Starmore Scottish Fleet (which was discontinued and I have been told that it will be available again), any others that you know about. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  11:34:03 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
To Beth - There's lots of info available about Cowichan sweaters! They are sooooooo Canadian! There's even a wonderful documentary about the Coast Salish Knitters. Let me rummage for exact titles for you and everyone else and I'll post them later. I just wanted to respond while I was here.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  10:46:02 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
It's been a few weeks since anyone posted here, but if you're still taking suggestions... I would like to see a bit more international content. I'm Canadian and would love to see more info on shops and yarns from all over the world. For example, I could not find any mention of the Creative Sewing & Needlework Festival in Toronto this coming weekend. It's the type of show people plan trips around. I think it would help broaden horizons and give insights into what's popular where.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?