Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Okay I lost it!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cameellie

In the book Hot Knits, the cover sweater is photographed so that you never see the true neckline or even the body of the sweater. It looks cute, but there is no way to be sure.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Isn't this type of "artsy" shot often a problem with the garment itself? I was taught early on to be suspicious of a pattern that can't be seen clearly in the photograph. It may be that the model was entirely the wrong size, but may just as often be a sleeve that didn't work or an ugly neckline that is being hidden by the photographer.
Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  1:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JulieB
There's a huge difference between the quality required to get a good picture on a computer screen (around 70ish dots per inch I think), and a good picture on paper (around 300-600 dpi). I can have fabulous looking digital pics on screen, but they're crap when printed on photo-quality paper.

I have learned that the resolution that you take the picture at makes a big difference in the printed quality. Go for the biggest size and highest pixel count picture you can at the actual time of photography and you should have no problem printing them.

My butterfly picture http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/2004/10/butterfly.html has been printed out at 5x7 size and it looks great. Of course the one on my blog has been reduced to be accepted by Photobucket and to be a reasonable on screen size, but the original is so large it cannot all be viewed at once on a computer screen.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

newworlddavinci
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  06:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit newworlddavinci's Homepage  Send newworlddavinci a Yahoo! Message Send newworlddavinci a Private Message
Ya'at'eeh

I figured I would wade in on this one. I currently work in prepress and the publishing industry and I must say excuses abound in this line of work. The editor of the mag generaly only looks at proofs and if the proof system is not the acutal out put device (rip/plate setter) often the final out come is quite different from the proofs. This is not as it should be but when you are looking at over $100,000 for some proof systems...... The inital quality of the photos has to be considered also. Even the most adept digital manipulator with the best programs can only do so much (although it is amazing what can be done). So in all fairness the ball was droped many places (unless it was actual planned to look that way) First the photographers, then the composition department, then prepress, then the editor, then the pressmen (or press operators) and finaly shipping failed.

Now I know that different operations have different workflows and Interweave may not operate anything like the above scenerio however there are so many places in any pubishing operation to catch and correct issues that the mag should not have gone out (again unless it was intended to look like it did)

thats my two cents and it probably isnt even worth two cents but there ya go.....

hagoshii
Jeorge
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by