Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Where do I find SOck of the Month clubs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wildflower
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send wildflower a Private Message
I am sure this topic was recently dicussed but I do not seem to be able to find it.

Anyone? Ones you love and ones to watch out for?

What do you like about it?

What do you dislike about it?

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hi. There is definitely a thread under Sock forum but it's back in May b/c I just asked about it; you may have to keep paging back to find it. I joined theknitter.com 's sock of the month club in June and so I don't have tons of experience but I can tell you that on the plus side, the yarns have been high quality (fortissima, jawoll) and the patterns have been nice, too. I joined simply b/c I thought it would be fun to stretch myself a little and not get too hemmed in by my own tastes - having someone else pick out the yarn and pattern just so I can try something new. I also love having a little package to look forward to. I figured if I hate the pattern, I can use the yarn with another one, and if I hate the yarn, I could swap it or use it for charity knitting or something. So far, not a problem. I joined theknitter's SOTM club b/c she seemed to have the biggest variety of patterns and yarns. Since I joined, theknitter has discontinued carrying Lorna's Laces, which is a bummer; and there have been a lot of complaints from others about her customer service. There is another thread somewhere in this forum about slow shipping, lost orders, unanswered emails, etc. Twice in the 3 months I've belonged, the package was late (it's supposed to ship the first week of the month). PErsonally this isn't a huge problem for me, I always have something else to finish before I'd start the SOTM project anyway, but some people are irritated by that. But all the other clubs I've seen are either limited in the yarn they supply (i.e., only one brand, or only their own yarns and not commercially available ones) and/or patterns (i.e., they do all the patterns themselves). I like the variety and getting to try different things.
Hope this helps,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  05:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I, too, belong to theknitter.com club, and I chose that one both for price and because you can opt for every other month.I knew that with my other projects (already started) I wouldn't be able to keep up with an every month time table. I am pleased with the variety and quality, and I'm not bothered by getting the package late in the month, but I can see how it would bother some, and it always late. I think that they were overwhelmed by the numbers of people ordering. I like the fact that, though a flat price was quoted for the cost, I am only charged the actual cost of the materials and postage - they don't keep the balance. I don't know whether other clubs work that way or not.

Go to Top of Page

similees
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send similees a Private Message
I belong (at least currently) to two Sock of the Month clubs....The Knitter, and Fiber Nooks and Crannies. Yes, The Knitter has been late a couple of times, but she has advised us, and apparently, these yarns were held up in customs. I, too, opted for The Knitter because of the option for opting for bi-monthly mailings.

However, I am very, very happy with my SOTM from Fiber Nooks and Crannies, and have visited the shop to meet the owner while one vacation. A very nice lady is Robin!

Cindy :-)
similees@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
Do you have a website for "Fibers Arts and Crannies?"

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  1:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
Joslyn's Fiber Farm has a sock club which I find very appealing because the kits are put together from beautiful yarns which she dyes herself. I tend to be leery of monthly clubs, because I prefer to choose my own yarn and pattern rather than rely on someone else to shop for me; but Joslyn's club is tempting because her yarns are so distinctive, and I believe that club membership may be cheaper than buying the yarn and pattern individually. (The yarns do tend to be rather expensive!)

Check it out for yourself: http://joslynsfiberfarm.com. I'm not a member, but if I were to join a club, this is probably the one I'd choose.

--Beth :-)
Go to Top of Page

Penelope Cave
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  10:19:06 AM  Show Profile Send Penelope Cave a Private Message
I joined the Knitters.com sock of the month club in order to widen my variety of sock yarns and patterns and it has worked! I don't always do the pattern given but then I don't always follow cookery recipes! The good thing is that I am, at this moment, finishing a pair of cotton socks which I would never have done unless they had appeared in my exciting bi-monthly package. I discovered another gorgeous yarn,Opal, which I had never used before, it keeps me up to the mark as I don't want to get behind and I just love having the exciting surprise parcel arrive. I have always had excellent response from e-mails and the package wings its way from the States to Southern England without hitch.
Do try her free Summer Garden Socks pattern - I have done it in two or three completely different colourways and it has worked every time.

Go to Top of Page

Penelope Cave
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  10:19:15 AM  Show Profile Send Penelope Cave a Private Message
I joined the Knitters.com sock of the month club in order to widen my variety of sock yarns and patterns and it has worked! I don't always do the pattern given but then I don't always follow cookery recipes! The good thing is that I am, at this moment, finishing a pair of cotton socks which I would never have done unless they had appeared in my exciting bi-monthly package. I discovered another gorgeous yarn,Opal, which I had never used before, it keeps me up to the mark as I don't want to get behind and I just love having the exciting surprise parcel arrive. I have always had excellent response from e-mails and the package wings its way from the States to Southern England without hitch.
Do try her free Summer Garden Socks pattern - I have done it in two or three completely different colourways and it has worked every time.

Go to Top of Page

Penelope Cave
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  10:19:25 AM  Show Profile Send Penelope Cave a Private Message

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe