Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Lorna's Shepherd Sock
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
Just a question- I've used a lot of sock yarn over the years- and my main concern for most socks is how they wear. I used to use Froelich, but found that Socka wore much longer without darning. Now I've been using Regia since Socka is harder to get and the colors in Regia are nicer, but I'd like to use Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock-the colors are beautiful and the yarn is so nice and soft. Does anyone have experience with the washing/wearing qualities of this yarn. I realize that this is a relative newcomer- I have argyles in Socka that are five years old and worn once a week without a darn- machine wash and yes, (accidently), dried more often than not.
Also- I want to make a pair for my sister in Lorna's, but I can't count on her to baby them in the wash, (or to refrain from walking on cement patios in them for that matter). Any experience you have with this would be appreciated!

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  05:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi Susanne,
I have knit too many pairs in this yarn to count. I even have a LL album on my Picture Trail and have used this yarn for many of my designs because the colors look so great in stitch patterns!
I have made socks from Shepherd Sock for all of my family.The only wear problem encountered with with a pair of DH's. He ripped through one toe. I suspect the problem had to do with toe nail length-yick, but he gets lazy with that.
I have found that if you knit this yarn at 8/inch or smaller (I usually go for 8.5 or 9 to the inch) it makes a nice ,dense fabric that is less likely to wear prematurely.
I wash LL socks in the washing machine (cold setting) and while they can be put in the dryer, I prefer to hang them to dry. Hoping this will help avoid any pilling. Not sure if one would get pilling since I never use the dryer for them, but also like the looks of the socks all hanging on the line (strange!).Many do use the dryer.
Definately one of my favorite sock yarns- so many beautiful colors, even the Nearly Solids are more exciting than most to knit, and so soft that those that say they can't wear wool often enjoy them.
Lisa in Oklahoma

New Kool-Aid dyed sock design-Berry Basket Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  5:52:11 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I've been getting ready to take the plunge and try knitting socks, so I've been reading this forum. I thought you guys might be interested - I found a web site offering Lornas Laces sock yarn in stripe patterns. The web site is www.heartstringsfiberarts.com
(I have never ordered anything from them, so I can't attest to whether they are a good company or not. I just saw the yarn and it looked really cool.)

Meg
Go to Top of Page

susanne
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  3:45:39 PM  Show Profile Send susanne a Private Message
Dear Lisa- Thanks for the info- I feel better about using Shepherd sock, especially since I've swtarted a pair of Turkish socks from fancy feet- I want these babies to last a long time! I'm using the navy hand dyed for the background and sockknitter's rainbow for the pattern. So far so good...
And Meg- I just ordered from heart strings fiber on Friday night, and received my Lorna's laces today, (monday) so Jackie's service is excellent, and she was in touch right away about when the order would go out, etc. Highly reccommended! Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe