Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 I think I'm ready to try this, one question though
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  08:26:45 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Hi all,
I have yarn to make a pair of socks. It has a really nice stripey, jacquard. However, the pattern calls for 5 dpn's size 2. I am having a problem finding sets of 5, only find sets of 4. I could by 2 sets, not a problem. Here's the question. Are 7 inch needles too long for sox? That is the only size I can find.
TIA,
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  08:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
You can definitely use 4 dpns for socks if that is all you can find. Just make sure that you put the stitches for needles the heel on a single needle. This is usually needles #1 and #4. It will make your life easier when you get to the heel as far as defining where to start your flap and the decreases. When you pass the heel, these stitches will be the bottem of the sock.

As for length, I use 7 inch needles for all of my socks. I would suggest using needles with a bit of grip, like bamboo or birch instead of slippery metal.

Good luck on the socks!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  08:45:31 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Thanks, I will go and get them today.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  11:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I don't like to knit socks with four needles, but when I have to do it that way, I keep all the instep stitches on one needle and divide the heel stitches on two needles. In other words, I do exactly the opposite of what is described above! ;-) It feels more balanced to me to start and end the round with fewer stitches, and have the instep in the middle of the round. When it's time to start the heel flap, I knit across needle 1, turn and purl back across needle 1 and needle 3. I find the heel flap is a little less stiff if I keep it on two needles instead of consolidating the stitches on a single needle. But that's a personal preference... you should experiment and see which way feels best to you.

Good luck with your heels!

--Beth :-)
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I'm chicken, I am going to buy 2 sets of 4 needles so I can use 5 needles. I am the type of person who has to follow the directions the first time and then I can vary my patterns. Thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted on my first pair.
Elisa

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  5:45:38 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Let me say first that I have not done this. But Elizabeth Zimmerman said that when she was a needle short she just used one needle of a slightly different size and it made no difference. Since the needles travel around the sock the difference is spread around. Plus, she says that you will automatically change your tension to adjust for the different size. Maybe this only works for someone with her vast experience, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, Brittany Birch makes needles in sets of 5.

Anita

quote:

I'm chicken, I am going to buy 2 sets of 4 needles so I can use 5 needles. I am the type of person who has to follow the directions the first time and then I can vary my patterns. Thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted on my first pair.
Elisa

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
On that note, I like using Brittany birch needles for socks. They have just enough grip on the stitches that you don't have such a possibility of pulling out a needle unintentially.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  11:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I buy two sets of 4 metal needles -- I love Susan Bates metal needles and I hate Inox (go figure!). Anyway, I always buy two sets because I work on both socks at the same time.

I use 5 needles for the cuff, so I work the cuff of one sock, then arrange the instep on one stitch and the heel on two others. Then I start the cuff of the second sock, and work it down to the heel and arrange it the same way. Then I do both heels, then I continue the feet, using 4 needles for each foot.

This system works for me.

Kristie

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth