Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Decreasing after bottom-edge ribbing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AmyP
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  06:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit AmyP's Homepage Send AmyP a Private Message
I'm working on a cardigan and, after the usual ribbing at the bottom edge, it says to decrease 149 sts. to just 69sts. This is beacuse of using a thicker yarn for the body of the garment and a thinner one for the ribbing, this I understand. What I don't "get" is how am I supposed to decrease that many stitches? If I do K2tog, I end up with 75 sts., and I'm not sure that casting (binding) off would work.

Please, can someone help me!

Amy.

Amy.

In humid Manchester, Britain.

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I would do a double decrease, 6 times, scattered fairly evenlty around the whole, probably doing a slip 2, knit one, pass 2 slip stitchs over (S2,k,psso) but you could use any of several different double decreases. The key is to turn three stitches into one stitch, instead of turning 2 stitches knto 1 as you do with K2tog.

good luck and let us hear how things turn out.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  07:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Thanks for the question and thanks for the answer. I guess it never entered my mind you could k3 together. That is why I keep coming back to this site, I always learn something.

ZOLA
Go to Top of Page

AmyP
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2002 :  10:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AmyP's Homepage Send AmyP a Private Message
quote:

I would do a double decrease, 6 times, scattered fairly evenlty around the whole, probably doing a slip 2, knit one, pass 2 slip stitchs over (S2,k,psso) but you could use any of several different double decreases. The key is to turn three stitches into one stitch, instead of turning 2 stitches knto 1 as you do with K2tog.

It seems so obvious now! Many thanks, and I will let you know how it goes.

Amy.

Go to Top of Page

AmyP
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  10:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit AmyP's Homepage Send AmyP a Private Message
quote:

Well, I did the double decreases (sl1, sl1, k1, psso), what i thought was enough times, only to find out at the end that i was four stitches over! I just decreased on the next row, and everything worked out fine!

Thanks again.

Amy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by