Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you knit at work?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

andiphant
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  1:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit andiphant's Homepage  Send andiphant a Yahoo! Message Send andiphant a Private Message
Are you lucky enough to have a job that allows you to do some knitting?

I am! I am a receptionist and since all I do is answer the phone (we don't deal with the public at all) I can do pretty much what I please which includes knitting and lots of time online at places like this!

Since I'm moving soon I'm curious what other occupations allow some time for knitting

~Andrea
http://andiphant.blogspot.com/

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. - Aristotle

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Radio, if you're in talk and do the editing. I listen to audio files all day, which is one reason I'm on KR all day too. I try not to knit when there's someone else in the building, because it's a bit too lax for my sanity, although I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but when I'm alone listening to files I do knit... which reminds me to start on those socks I was gonna start today...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  1:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message
I knit during lunch and during telephone conferences. When I worked at the law firm, I knit and read depositions and trial transcripts.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

steff13
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  1:54:36 PM  Show Profile Send steff13 a Private Message
I just started bringing my knitting to work this week, to get moving on my Christmas projects. I can do it during breaks, and I am the only one in my department from 4-5, so I can do it then, too.

I would imagine you could at least do it during breaks at most office jobs.
Go to Top of Page

andiphant
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit andiphant's Homepage  Send andiphant a Yahoo! Message Send andiphant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by steff13

I would imagine you could at least do it during breaks at most office jobs.

Good point! I never thought of that since I don't take a break at this job.. I only work 5 hours and don't really need a 'break' from doing nothing.

I used to work at a drive through espresso stand and I would've had lots of time to knit there, then again I'd risk getting my yarn dirty and having everything I knit smell like coffee

~Andrea
http://andiphant.blogspot.com/

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. - Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  2:25:18 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I'm a research scientist which doesn't give me time to knit. I work on socks almost everywhere because they're so easy to carry, so one lunchtime I was knitting over my lunch when my boss who's in her 60s walked in. She exclaimed "my grandmother used to do that!" She found it very quaint.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm a financial manager and I knit at work. I knit whenever someone takes a smoke break, and I also knit while on hold, or waiting for software to load.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  05:12:55 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
I knit at work during lunchtime. I get 1 1/2 hours and I usually bring my lunch or we order in. I work in a courtroom, so I have the jury room available during lunchtime. It's big and empty, so I put the radio on and get my knitting fix. Sometimes, my co-workers come in to chat, but mostly it's just me and my yarn. I also knit on the way to and from work if I am taking the train or if I carpool with someone.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

ErLeCa
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  05:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ErLeCa's Homepage Send ErLeCa a Private Message
I definitely knit during my lunch break. I work at the corporate office of a local real estate company and I only get about a half hour to knit on anything. But I tell you, that half hour is enough to totally de-stress me and I feel ten times more ready to deal with the second half of the day!

ErLeCa

www.skeinstreet.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:07:15 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I work at home, so I knit a lot! I do closed captioning for live TV shows, so I knit during commercial breaks. It's amazing how much knitting I can get done during a one-hour program.

Melissa

Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. ~ Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I knit while my students are having a coffee break. I knit while waiting for my students to show up. I knit in the metro on my way between classes. I wish I could knit in class but it probably wouldn't look good for the teacher to be knitting! ...and when I'm not at my "real" job, I knit for work!

www.kategilbert.com
www.kategilbert.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  10:07:07 AM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
Of course I knit while I am at work during breaks and lunch. Sometimes during work hours also (when the boss isn't around).
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  04:28:09 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
if we're not in busy season, i knit during calls at work, as long as they are just orders, and not customer service issues. (i work at an inbound call center). when we are at busy season, i knit during the briefing at the beginning of my shift, and on my breaks and lunch. it's a great way to destress. right now i'm an on the job training coach for the seasonal new hires, so i need lots of destressing!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  04:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
Always a fun topic :) I work at UPS, loading trailers up at night, and knit before the shift and at break. The guys love it, they're even asking for hats and scarfs now!

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  07:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I teach in a middle school and knit at lunch or at inservices. My prinicipal doesn't object to me knitting in meetings because it keeps me quiet. Lately I have been knitting while the kids are reading or writing because we have adopted a unit in Iraq and we are trying to get caps made for all of them. It has helped promote knitting. I now have a knitting class/club once a week at school, and this morning had two mothers asking if they could come also.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I am going to be the only one in my office tomorrow and I joked with my boss that I'd just be sitting here knitting . . . . and he said he wears large sweaters. I think that means I'm allowed to knit at work. I hope it does, because I write and edit for a website and also run the daily site build, which involves--I wish I were making this up--watching white text scroll on a black screen for about a half an hour, and then watching files FTP to our client's server for another half hour. I could get so much done in that hour.
Go to Top of Page

graciebell
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:33:59 AM  Show Profile Send graciebell a Private Message
I am a grad student who is busy working on her Master's thesis. I've started to bring my knitting with me, mostly socks because they are easy to transport, to try and knit when I need a mental break or when I have a mental block.

My knitting blog!
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:35:26 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
Minnie, I worked at an inbound call center for nearly two years, and it was such hard work. I wish I had been a knitter then.

At the end of a shift after hundreds of calls, it's hard to be civil even when the callers are. Knitting might have helped.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message
I can't knit at work (although I guess I could during lunch). So far, I haven't had the nerve to knit in public (other than at the knitting group) ....

Beth
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."
Go to Top of Page

ErLeCa
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  06:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ErLeCa's Homepage Send ErLeCa a Private Message
I used to not knit in public, but I realized that that's silly because you actually meet a lot of really great people They're interested in what you're doing and it's a great way to break the ice.

ErLeCa

www.skeinstreet.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  07:41:15 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I just don't get the fear of knitting in public. At any given stop light, people are nose picking, ear picking, adjusting themselves. Knitting just seems so much less disgusting!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?