Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do you knit at work?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
I wish I could knit at work too but I get my "knit fix" by logging onto KR and other yarn sites... I guess I could knit during lunch but I also walk and the thought of lugging more than what I need isn't that appealing...so I'll do it when I get home....LOL

Funny one mokey...it's the truth though...people do a lot of weird stuff in "public"....LOL

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
Finished Projects: http://photos.yahoo.com/roxanne_delorme
Go to Top of Page

KnittyBear
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile Send KnittyBear a Private Message
I knit during my lunch hour...i get funny looks from some of my coworkers sometimes, but most people seem genuinely intersted in what I was doing. Someone even asked if I would knit her something (I said that I had too many requests from family at this time). I find it very soothing to take a break.
--Deborah
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
The one day I don't have my needles with me! My software keeps freezing and crashing, and I have 600g of wonderful new sock yarn I could be knitting.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  3:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I'm a receptionist but there's no way they'd let me knit at my desk.

Actually, usually I'm too busy, anyway.

I think it would be kind of cool to have a job where I could knit. Hmmmm....

Kimberly, kniting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gely
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  01:01:54 AM  Show Profile Send gely a Private Message
I have a second job evenings and weekends in a gift shop. I bring something to knit every time I work and have finished Sally Melville's Einstein coat while working. When my boss calls to see how busy I've been he simply asks, "How much knitting did you get done today?"
Go to Top of Page

toucanknit1
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  05:32:05 AM  Show Profile Send toucanknit1 a Private Message
Several of my coworkers and I knit at break and at lunch. Our managers allow us to knit (or crochet) during staff meetings if we don't have any guests from outside the agency. We know we are fortunate to have this policy.
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
I also knit at work during my lunch hour. I started last year when I realized that I was running out of time to finish a couple of Christmas presents.

After the season passed, I resumed my old habit of eating with my coworkers. I then realized that the work stress was building up and that I needed an outlet.

So, 6 months later, I started knitting again at lunch and my work has improved greatly And I can still have conversations with my coworkers at lunch...
Go to Top of Page

Catladyknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
368 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  7:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send Catladyknits a Private Message
I knit during my breaks at work. If I'm driving in with my husband, I'll knit then too, provided it's not too dark to see!

Go to Top of Page

useratl
Warming Up

74 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  02:36:13 AM  Show Profile Send useratl a Private Message
What a pleasure to find so many others in technical broadcast related areas knitting at work!

Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
I can't knit at my full-time job, but I can do it at my part time job if it's not too busy. It's selling tickets at a museum and during the really really off-season, i.e., dead of winter, I can literally get 2/3 of the way done on a scarf in one day!

They call me Madame DeFarge at thi job because I'm always knittng. A couple of the other girls who have the front desk job knit when it's slow too.

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  2:17:19 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I am a temp,so as far as knitting at work goes, it very much depends on the company;I have just completed an assignment in a call centre,where knitting would have been a no-no.My previous job was a long-term assignment ( I was there for over a year),and as I had an hour for lunch,I did knit during my lunch break.I was also lucky enough to have Internet access there,so I logged onto KR every day at work,and read posts ,etc during my tea breaks.I am starting a new long-term assignment on 1st November,and am hoping to be able to knit at work,during my breaks.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
Englishtch, you are so lucky. I'm a middle school teacher too, on mat leave this year, but I don't really knit while at work. I used to try to knit during meetings, but this tyrant of a principal got mad at me, because he thought I wouldn't listen to him drone on and on. It would actually have helped me to listen , because I just zoned out otherwise. He's gone now, and I did knit or crochet with the new principal. When I was principal, I was too busy running the meeting to knit at all. If I have to travel far (conferences, science fairs, school trips...) then I bring my knitting also. I had also started a knitting club one lunch hour a week. The kids wanted to do it more, and they actually knit or crocheted during lunch or recess or on school trips. When I was expecting my baby in the spring, they knit, crocheted and sewed stuff for me and the baby! Teaching can be so rewarding!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

DukTape
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  8:18:10 PM  Show Profile Send DukTape a Private Message
I knit on my reaks and lunch sometimes. People have been complimenting me on the poncho I'm working on for DD#2's Christmas present; I knew the colors were good, but the reactions have been so positive that I am much encouraged.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
cat.k.,
i miss it right now. i don't have trouble at the end of the day, but with my hectic schedule, i'm having a hard time staying awake on the phone! can't wait for busy season to be over, so i can go back to knitting. one day while i was doing OJT, the stress was bad enough that i threatened to go outside and knit for 10 minutes, just to cool off!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
>And I can still have conversations with my coworkers at lunch...
[/quote]

Yep! I'm a bookworm and used to read during breaks and lunches. This year, I've been knitting instead, which makes me more "sociable" since now workbuddies feel free to sit down and talk to me!
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  06:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
If I'm trying to think about how to deal with a particularly tricky problem, or have had a difficult conversation, I sneak off to the ladies' and do a couple of rows, by then I have calmed down and thought things through enough to get a grip and carry on.

You have no idea how many socks I've made lately!
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  7:06:47 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

As I mentioned in a previous post, I started a new temp job on 1st November,2004 - during the training period, I took my knitting to work with me every day,and managed to knit during "down time",as we had days when the computer system was not working properly.
I have an office of my own, which makes a change from working in a big open-plan office,and the best part is being able to knit in peace during breaks!
I have my current project(a scarf) in my desk drawer, so that I can knit a few rows whenever I have some spare time.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
I am an office manager for an office that pretty much runs itself. I am very lucky...I knit about 4 hours a day at work.

Allison

My Album
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  11:20:13 PM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
I am always knitting at breaks and at lunch. If I take full advantage of the time, then that is 1 1/2 hours/day, and 10 1/2 hours/per work week. That is a lot of knitting time.
Go to Top of Page

feltingfreak
New Pal

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  05:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit feltingfreak's Homepage  Send feltingfreak a Yahoo! Message Send feltingfreak a Private Message
I am a nurse and work mostly nights.. so if we get a quiet spell for a few mins with no babes screaming then I can usually knit for a bit. :)

http://thefeltingfreak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.