Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Can you UNtwist in the round?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  2:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
Well I have started my third try on this darn purse/bag and each time I had the danged thing twisted. I thought on this last try for SURE I did not have it twisted. TWELVE rows later of knitting 155 stitches per row I have found that is is twisted again. Should I just frog this sucker and start again? Is there a way to UNtwist in the round?

I think if I cannot fix this then I will frog it and start fresh, only this time I will knit a rectangular bottom and then pick up stitches and THEN knit in the round. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carol

'Normal' is a setting on the dishwasher.

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  3:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
Nope. Once twisted, always twisted.

You can, however, knit one or three rows flat of your bag, then on the next even row start knitting circularly. The weight of a couple of rows will make it dramatically easier to keep your rows from twisting. Just make sure to leave a long enough tail to use it to darn the first couple of rows together. Once you felt it, nobody will ever know the difference.

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Nope. You've gotta frog it. I've done this too many times. Here's some advice I've read here and it works. I tried it on my current hat project (184 stitches, fingering weight). Instead of joining right away, knit a couple rows back and forth. It's much easier to avoid the twist. You can close up the tiny gap with the yarn tail later. It will save you a lot of frustration.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  4:11:56 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I start flat too and another advantage of doing this is the tension of casting on will ease up so when you do join up a few rows later, you won't be yanking that last stitch to join.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  5:59:17 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What I would do is unravel the cast on stitches, then put them on a length of waste yarn. When you have g\finished everyhting else, the go back to it.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  04:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
Frog and knit flat... the girls are right :) Makes it far easier to join loads of stitches if you knit the first few rows flat. Good luck!

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  06:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
the only round you can UNTWIST is the first round, once you knit that 2nd row you have to frog.

knitting flat for a couple rounds works, and you can use the tail to finish that seam. I always make the bottom of my stitches face the inside of the circ before I start the second round. its the only way I feel confident I haven't twisted anything.

Bad officials are elected by good people who don't vote.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
For a lacy poncho I am making 208 sts I had to start 3 times before I could get the twist out and what I finally did was started the Koigu yarn with a heavy yarn then dropped the heavy yarn after the first row. The directions say when you are finished go back and cut out the heavy weight yarn, but for some reason I am kinda liking the effect of the heavy weight yarn on the bottom of the shawl. I used yarn that would match, but I will take to my KR group to see what they think. If they hate it or are even so so I will cut the heavy yarn out as I am suppose to.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  07:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
When I'm casting on in the round, just take my time with the joining. Get all the sts divided onto the needles, then lay the whole thing on a table with the "rim" of the cast on toward me, and the loops on the needles away from me. Then bring the two end needles together, keeping the c/o toward the middle. With the needles flat on the table, it's easy to see where to insert the needle for the first st. Once you've got the first one right, the other are simple.

If I'm doing ribbing, as in socks or a hat, where I want it really stretchy, I do a couple of rows flat in contrasting yarn, then start the ribbing in the round. After the whole piece is done, I remove the contrasting yarn and use the tubular cast off for rib from my well-worn copy of the Vogue Knitting Book. This works for either k1p1 rib or k2p2 rib and ends up just as stretchy as the ribbing.
Go to Top of Page

cmarks
Gabber Extraordinaire

487 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmarks's Homepage Send cmarks a Private Message
I have frogged and am knitting flat for a few rows then will join! What a great idea, I didn't even think of that. Glad I posted now. Thanks.

Carol

'Normal' is a setting on the dishwasher.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe