Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 How do I shorten a sweater and reattach collar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MandellaUK
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  3:02:23 PM  Show Profile Send MandellaUK a Private Message
I've just finished a sleeveless top and the armholes are too big - you can see the top of my bra under my arms! I want to take the collar off, rip out the last rows of the back and front and reknit, starting the shoulder shaping a bit earlier. That bit I can do no problem, but I also want to reattach the existing collar, as it's a 12" cowl and I can't face the thought of knitting it again. (I'd probably have to unpick one of the side seams too, and that makes me shudder!)

Can anyone help me with reattaching the collar?

Mandella, Weymouth, UK

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
Have you considered knitting a little gusset under each arm to fill in/cover the gap? I doubt it would be noticeable (unless you go about with your arms in the air a lot ) and you wouldn't have to worry about the collar at all.

Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  9:53:33 PM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
You could try this:

If the cowl was knit on circular or DPN'S:

• Run a contrasting yarn with a yarn needle through the bottom (closest to neckline) row of the cowl.
  • Pick out the row that attaches the cowl to the body of the sweater
  • Change the shoulder line as you need
  • Graft, sew or crochet cowl to neckline

If the cowl has a seam, undo the seam and proceed with above suggestions.

There are many books that show grafting, sewing and crocheting collars or bands. Check out the library. I know the Big Book of Knitting by Katrina Buss shows how to attach neckline ribbing by sewing.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  11:21:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
The techniques Ajar has suggested would work very well and it is probably what I would do if it was okay to shorten the sweater, because the sweater will be shorter by the difference between the armhole now and the armhole after you have made your adjustments. How did you attach your cowl collar? You could remove it the same way.

How did you finish off edges of armhole? That would make a big difference in what could be done with it. In any event, you can repair it by redoing the armhole finishing without removing or altering the shoulder line and collar. Remember if you shorten the armhole by removing a part of the sweater at the shoulder line you will also be shortening the length of the sweater. The simplest way would be to be sure the edging around the armhole is long enough to meet in the center and then slip stitch it together as high as you want it. There are also several finishes that can be used by removing the finishing on the armholes and redoing it. Without the finishing, stitches can be picked up and knitted across with short rows to make a gusset that is not noticeable when you are wearing it and barely noticeable when you examine it closely. Then the armhole needs to re refinished.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  09:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Mandella-
I've had to lengthen a vest that I made. I took the collar off and put it on stitch holders. Then I ripped (I know it's painful!) down to the armholes and reknit the front and back. Then I used the three needle bind off to put the collar back on. It wasn't easy and if I had to do it again, I would have just reknitted the collar, since I've ended up ripping everything out again because the collar and armholes puckered after I picked up the stitches for the armholes and put the collar back on. As painful as it is, I would just rip out where you need to and do it over. Take a deep breath before you rip. Also always work a needle into the right half of all of the stitches on the row where you want to rip out to - so you don't go too far. If you don't quite get what I mean - I have an image of it on my website - http://www.erica-lee.org/knit/materials.html#correct you have to scroll down to "unraveling rows." I've learned that you can correct things but they are never the way you want them to be if you had just reworked everything. Just remember, will you wear the sweater after you correct it or will it be one of those projects that you made and sits in your closet? If you completely rework it to your liking, will you wear it more?
Good luck and email me if you have any questions about what I've said here.

erica :)
(knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
Since I am getting mature I don't wear sleeveless anything outside of my house. I always wear a cardi, jacket or shirt over all of my summer tops. I do like the thought of the short row gusset. I have a couple that gape mid-way down to my waist! One thing about it they aren't hot!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  06:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Here goes, I was hoping someone else would ask this, but.........What is a gusset?
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
Emaruottolo - A gusset is an extra bit of fabric, usually in a sort of diamond shape, normally placed in the underarm or crotch area. Its original use is to help ease movement. But a half-circle shaped gusset could certainly be used to make the armhole smaller and would be less work.

Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  08:51:39 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
Thank you for explaining that. I hate being out of the loop.
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.