Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Winding your own yarn without gadgets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inkimd@yahoo.com
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  10:05:56 AM  Show Profile Send inkimd@yahoo.com a Private Message

I've been winding my own yarn by myself for years, without gadgets. I normally prefer a center pull yarn, but this has to be rewound when you've used some because a hand-wound ball gets too loose. Pulling from the outside you don't have to rewind the yarn, but the ball rolls. Dealers choice.

Here's how.

1. Put the unwound skein over your two forearms.
2. Locate the end of the yarn. For center-pull, wrap this end around your thumb four or five times; for outside pull, skip this step.
3. Wind the yarn around two fingers about 10 times, until you have a small hank. Move your arms slightly as you go to let the yarn off your forearms and free for winding.
4. Hold the hank, turn it, and wind the next 10 turns at right angles to the first.
5. Keep changing directions as you build up the yarn a little to keep the ball you're winding even.
6. When you've wound the entire skein off your forearms, if you're doing center pull, unwind the end off your thumb, and begin knitting with it. If you're using outside pull, just begin knitting with the loose end at the outside of the ball.
7. There you are. No help needed, no gadgets needed, and easy as pie. Let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me. If there's any confusion about my explanation, meet me in the forum and I'll try to clear it up for you.

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I generally use this method for winding my yarn with the outside pull. I am a big fan of the center pul ball. My question is doesn't the yarn get stuck in the ball with the first few yards after you've wound it?

I will definitely try this method at home.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I did fine winding my own for years, but when I had several skeins of sock weight to wind into balls, after doing one, I decided a ball winder would be good! I didn't really mind doing the winding by hand with sport or worsted weight, and it usually wasn't very often. A chair back makes a good "swift," too. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  7:43:01 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Marnita,

I start my yarn winding by making a "butterfly" that is winding it in a figure eight around my thimb and index finger for a few yards. Then carefully folding the butterfly in half and start winding the ball around my thumb, turn it 1/4 and continue winding, turn it 1/4 again and so on. The butterfly in the center pulls out easily and the hole left by the thumb allows it to pull out easily. I have also heard of using a pill bottle in the center of the ball in order to leave a hole there. Put the end of the yarn in the pill bottle and put the lid on before winding. I haven't tried that yet but it sounds interesting.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I have always wound my yarn by hand. I put the skein on my clean bare feet stretched out in front of me, and wind off of them. I learned to make a center pull ball in 4-H, but usually just knit from the outside, and put it in a small basket beside my chair to keep it from getting too far away.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  5:27:14 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I normally buy wool by the skein but when I do have to buy in the hank love winding it by hand.I usually use the back of the chair and get so much pleasure out of.I wind around my four fingers,then take it off after a time and lay it in the same dirrection as my fingers across the palm and continue winding.If I can't do things by hand quite often I will loose interest in that project which is why I would never buy a knitting machine.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?