Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Knitting machine section
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pinoche0
New Pal

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile Send pinoche0 a Private Message
Hi,

I just joined your friendly forum and I couldn't help noticing that you don't have a section for machine knitters. Are there enough machine knitters to have one? I think that it would be a good idea. Are there others that feel the same way?

Annabel

Lucygrow
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  10:16:50 AM  Show Profile Send Lucygrow a Private Message
I think its a great idea, count me in!

Lucygrow
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  10:24:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'd be in for it.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Here's another vote for a machine knitter section.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  3:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Me too!

Shirley in Claremont, CA (& sometimes, Dana Point)

Bacteria: the only culture some people have!
Go to Top of Page

Sherry99019
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  02:24:59 AM  Show Profile Send Sherry99019 a Private Message
Hi,

I just joined the forum so I could respond to this because I am a new machine knitter and I want to find a forum. Hope one more voice helps. I will keep checking on this forum site for a machine knitters section. (see my post in the charity project section)
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  09:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I do both handknitting and machine knitting....although my machine knitting is limited as I have a very basic machine. I would love to see a seperate forum for machine knitting but please, even if there isn't a seperate one, feel free to jump in and participate. There are enough machine knitters here that would respond.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Isis Perez
Chatty Knitter

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  5:21:30 PM  Show Profile Send Isis Perez a Private Message
Hi my name is Isis and I have a Brother knitting machine and a Singer Chunky 150 machine, plus I also hand knit. I can do regular knit and punchcard stitch patterns.

So let's talk about what your machine can do.

Thanks and happy knitting.

Isis
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  9:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
My machine is a Brother Hobby machine. It has no punch card, so without a lot of annoying by-hand manipulation it will only do stockinette stitch....but in fine to bulky gauge. It takes care of the boring part of a plain sweater quickly and then I do the ribbing by hand.

Mostly I hand knit though.

I would love to have a punch card machine. I used one with great success when taking a college Machine Knitting course.

And those of you who are exclusively hand knitters.....don't turn up your nose thinking that machine knitters are "cheaters". There is a lot of work to producing a home machine knit too. The work can be quite challenging....although a different set of skills than hand knitting.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  08:51:28 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've got an unused Studio mid-guage machine and would love a place to learn more about what I can do with it.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Me too....I just got the Ultimate sweater machine from Bond....I got a deal on the Deluxe and it will suit me just fine....

I would love to see more on knitting machines....

I plan to use mine to get through the backlog of yarn....also I find that some knitting projects take forever and I can't do them quickly enough to get up certain learning curves....like shaping etc.

Likewise on the handknitters....turns out that the machine that I have is only about 100 years younger than the spinning wheel...which was conceived by Da Vinci and built for the first time in the 16th century (give or take 50 years).....Go figure.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

pinoche0
New Pal

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  4:12:04 PM  Show Profile Send pinoche0 a Private Message
Hi everyone,

I am happy to see that I'm not alone. I have tried Yahoo MK groups but I like this setup much better. I also used to hand knit and crochet but I wanted to speed up the process. I have a used Brother KH830 and KR830 ribber that I bought recently and it took a little while to get used to using it.

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm trying to change or take over this site but I just want to keep Machine knitting alive. The magazines are getting hard to find and one by one MK companies electing not to produce knitting machines. So far we can still get parts, but for how long?

I'm glad to see that there is interest and maybe if enough of you agree, in the future we can have a machine knitting topic. Maybe some of you with those expensive spiders knitting webs in your closets or attics will feel inspired to dust them off and use them or sell them to someone who will.

Annabel
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  2:03:44 PM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message
Well maybe finding this will encourage me to get my machine back out of the box! I would love to do more machine knitting, but it is hard, after hand knitting for years and being (IMHO) an "expert" to go back to being a beginner! There is always that steep learning curve at first. But, I will dust off the LK150 and go to work! And maybe if there is enough interest we will get a machine knitting topic up on the forums.

Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
If I can help, just ask away. I've been machine knitting for 20 years. I've only used Brother and Studio and have a very slight knowledge of the Bond. I really enjoy using the machines and have gotten really into handknitting since I opened my store but kept my machines active and visible in my shop. We have a club once a month where someone choses a project/technique and we all work at it together. All of us in the shop hand and machine knit so we are unique in that aspect and able to help most times. Still trying to learn the DesignaKnit...I guess it would go faster if I would spend time with the program. lol

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  06:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
my knitting machine has been rusting for 28 years give or take
I would love to use it
I know it needs a cleaning and possibly some sort of replacement cushioning by the needles but I have no idea where to start
I have a brother 210 bulky at least I think that's what it is
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  07:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Right now I just have a Bond machine, but when I have room for a permanent setup I'd get a more detailed machine. I hate intarsia, and that's the main reason I bought the machine. I do wish Bond provided better instructions and support for their product, as it's tough to find good teachers here.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

christinaoh@mail.com

USA
Posted - 12/27/2004 :  5:09:32 PM  Show Profile Send christinaoh@mail.com a Private Message
A Knitting MAchine section. Good IDEA!
Go to Top of Page

~Jo~
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~Jo~'s Homepage Send ~Jo~ a Private Message
I have an LK150 that I'd love to get use out of but I don't know where to start. I need help and we need a knitting machine section for that! lol!

~Jo~ mom of two
What am I up too now?
Go to Top of Page

konababy
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  1:12:20 PM  Show Profile Send konababy a Private Message
Me too! Awsome idea!
Go to Top of Page

kimt
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile Send kimt a Private Message
Hello:
I am a handknitter and am interested in possibly trying machine knitting. What would be a good starting machine for someone who would need easy instructions? Someone mentioned Japanese machines as having easy instructions. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Kim
Go to Top of Page

pinoche0
New Pal

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  12:09:58 PM  Show Profile Send pinoche0 a Private Message
Hi Kim,

I've tried both Singer and Brother standard bed machines and they seem simular. They are both Japanese machines and are fairly easy to use if you practice alot and have lots of feedback. The key words are practice and patience, lots of it. :) I have not tried the Bond or the ISM incredable sweater machine, but I've read that they are easy to use. The ISM's don't seem to have Tension masts or row counters. A row counter may be included in the Deluxe version or can be bought separately. ISM's also don't have punchcard patterning so fair isle, tuck, slip, and lace has to be done manually. Maybe Sharon can help? Does anyone have anything to add? Is the a store or someone nearby that can help you choose?

Annabel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.