Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 How do you say it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  06:56:58 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I'm not new to knitting, but I'm new to the yarn world now that I've picked up knitting again. I was pronouncing Berroco as Ber-rock-o...but I was corrected, and know it's pronounced Ba-row-ko.

I've been prouncing Colinette as Coe-li-net, but a customer at the yarn shop was saying Cawl-i-neat.

How do you say Gedifra?

I say Boo-clay (boucle), but have heard Boo-klee, Boockle, and probably some other pronounciations that threw me off as to what the person was talking about.

Is "FFF" the name of a brand, or is there a meaning to the initials?

I say Ca-tea-a (Katia), but have heard Caddy-a.

I think me and the other women in the yarn shop are just saying whatever we want. LOL

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  07:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I just say "yarn" and leave it at that LOL!

Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

MJM
Chatty Knitter

Canada
293 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit MJM's Homepage Send MJM a Private Message
The owner of my LYS, whom is Welsh, pronounces all of those yarn brands/companies the way you do, as do I. I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to anyone else while at the yarn store, though. I'm in what I call my yarn daze.

MJM

View My Blog at:
http://alwayscastingon.blogspot.com/

"Life is a stocking," grandma says,
"And yours has just begun.
"But I am knitting the toe of mine,
"And my work is almost done."

*Nineteenth-century rhyme

Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Riva dee,I sometimes call yarn by a different pronounciation.Maybe because I'm french decent.Now that I think of it I do that for a lot of sayings. The owner of My LYS use to correct me with the pronounciation of yarn all the time with a smile.We'd both laugh.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
My opinion is as long as everyone knows what they are talking about I would not worry. If you work in a shop ask the mfg. salesperson next time you talk to them. I do appreciate your writting it out though. I will be anxious to see what others have to say.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message
The only one I know for sure is cashmere - and I can't afford it! :-D

Beth
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
How about Koigu? Phonetically? or otherwise?

Did I spell it correctly? If not, you will probably know which brand I'm asking about.
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:57:43 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
How about Filatura Di Crosa?

Fill-at-ura Die Cross-a...
Fi-lat-ura Dee Crow-sa...
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  4:13:54 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I say them all the way they look.
Fil-a-tu-ra dee cross-a, Coll-i-net, Ged-i-fra and Kat-ya (I used to have a friend called Katia!)

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 20 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
I can answer Filatura di Crosa-- it's Italian, and phonetically it's Fee-la-tura dee crow-sa.

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I'm feeling a lot more confident now. I'm pretty sure I just mumble some of the brands I ask about at the yarn shop so the employee doesn't totally know if I said it right or not. I know I've said a few things, and I swear, the girl looked at me like I just said Wa-wawa-wa-wa-wa-waaaa.
Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
This is soo funny... I seem to have the same problems but the other way around. See, I am German and we do pronounce as is written (most of the time) so when I asked for Noro Koo-ray-on (hell, how to spell it phonetically?) the lady in the store gave me that blank stare "wtf is she talking about?". I don't have any problems with Gedifra and Katia, Colinette and Filatura di Crosa though... I liked it best when I heard "Muench"-yarns pronounced as "munch", like in munchkins - at that point I started giggling heplessly...
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
Mona:

i lived in Germany for 4 years (and majored in the language as well) and i do the same thing. although, since i also studied Japanese, Kureyon is kuh-reh-yon with the kuh like the german kuh or english coo, reh like the english ray, and yon like "yo dude" with a small n at the end. at least as i understand it all syllables are of the same length.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
Go to Top of Page

jennidina
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  7:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send jennidina a Yahoo! Message Send jennidina a Private Message
thats like me and bernat. i pronounced it as ber-nay (french type) but was told by an LYS owner it was ber-nat (phonics i guess). Then when i called it ber-nat to someone they looked at me and said, "oh you mean ber-nay"
i wanted to scream

Jenn
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v282/jennidina/ (password, jennidina)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/2knitis2love/
www.theknittinkitten.blogspot.com

i wasn't busy enough being a fulltime student, studying, music, looking for work, playing around with computers, starting a club in school, working in my house, playing with my cats, etc... Thats why i took up Knitting
Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  7:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
xmasberry: see, that's why I tried to pronounce it that way. Too bad she didn't understand me...

Jenn: why would one pronounce -at as -ay?? I studied French last year (living in Montreal it helps a lot!) and have never encountered anything like it! Stay with "BER-NAT" and forget about that "would-be-French".
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  08:43:50 AM  Show Profile
The yarn store employees that don't correct your pronunciation - I'd go back to them in a flash. The ones that do correct you first before showing you the yarn (with their noses in the air)- "Oh you mean, Gee-de- fwa", they can....
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
We do not get Meunch yarn in the UK .How is it pronounced in US then ?

(hristinac
Always guilty of reading too many knitting blogs , surfing the web too much , clicking on far too many links .
:(

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  10:24:38 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Muench - like moon + lunch = moonsch

As for Bernat, even in French it would be brrr+gnat; to get brrr+ney it would have to be spelled Bernet.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

jennidina
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  12:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Send jennidina a Yahoo! Message Send jennidina a Private Message
cool, i learned something new

Jenn
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v282/jennidina/ (password, jennidina)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/2knitis2love/
www.theknittinkitten.blogspot.com

i wasn't busy enough being a fulltime student, studying, music, looking for work, playing around with computers, starting a club in school, working in my house, playing with my cats, etc... Thats why i took up Knitting
Go to Top of Page

Renee77
Chatty Knitter

261 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile Send Renee77 a Private Message
"FFF" the name of a brand?

I've seen this brand also listed as 'Filati FF', and it's from Italy. It's pronounced 'Fee-la-tee FF'.

Gedifra is a German company, so it would be "Guh-dee-fra", with a hard G (like in girl).

But as long as people know what you mean, it doesn't matter all that much.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
OK...I have to ask. Is Aran

a) ah-RAHN
b) AIR-un
c) AH-run
d) something else I haven't thought of
Go to Top of Page