Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 How do you say it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  11:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
OMG, I'm laughing at myself. I just realized everytime I say Bernat, I say "Ber-nat-Uh-Ber-nay?" I've never said it with just one prounciation!

I had no idea about Gedifra because I didn't know if the G was hard or soft.
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  11:54:17 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
How about "Tahki" of Tahki Stacy Charles, Inc?

Is it "taah-KEE"?

My knitting projects and random blathering
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  12:33:06 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
My yarn lady pronounces it as Tacky.
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
Several times I've wondered about "crayon" yarn, only to realize they meant "Kureyon" (which I'd privately been calling "Curry-on").
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  4:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Kureyon DOES mean "crayon" in Japanese, and is pronounced almost as in English. The "u" is there because Japanese syllables usually are consonant/vowel combinations and they wouldn't say "cr".
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Aran, like Erin....the girls name...

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  5:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Aran, like Erin....the girls name...

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  10:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
I was saying skay-kill! Apparently it's ska-sell! I'd like sum of them there skay-kill addi turbos please

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kknit
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile Send kknit a Private Message
Re Boucle and Bernat: I speak French with a very good accent, because I learned it young, and I find it hard to figure out how to pronounce French words when speaking English. If you do it in the real French way, most Americans don't understand it and can't imitate it, and you sound unbelievably pretentious to boot! But it's not actually that hard to pronounce "boucle" (there should be an acute accent over the "e") or "Bernat" in something approaching the French manner: it's Boo-Clay (long "o," long "a") and Bear-nah (but make the "a" short in duration as well as vowel sound - not "ahh" like for the throat doctor). "Boucle" means "curly" (think of English "buckled) - which makes sense if you have seen the yarn.

By the way, if you think that in French, all words have silent letters at the end, you had better not try to sound French, because you will end up like the employees in a Texas hotel where I stayed some years ago, who insisted on pronouncing "concierge" as "Cahn-see-air" (with a drawl).
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
My husband calls Koigu "Koy Barf" because that's what he think of when I say coy-goo.

How do you say concierge? And sommelier (or however you spell that wine know it all name)?

And we think English pronounciations are difficult!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

kknit
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  9:22:15 PM  Show Profile Send kknit a Private Message
"Concierge" is hard to explain in English sounds. The first syllable is sort of like "on" with a K in front, but you don't really pronounce the "n." It's one of those "nasal" sounds. The "ci" is "si" (as in Spanish "yes") - like "see" only the "ee" doesn't last as long. The last syllable is like "airzh" (the "zh" representing another of those special French sounds, somewhere between "sh" and "dg" as in "fudge"), so "con-see-airzh" is the best I can come up with.

"Sommelier" is approximately "so-mell-ee-ay," with a slight accent on the last syllable. When you say it fast, it comes out "so-mell-yay."

By the way, French has some nonstandard spellings, but not nearly as many as English. The only really hard thing is place names. For example, I learned when we visted a town called Laguiole (where they make table knives of that name) that it's pronounced "La-yol" (with no "g" sound at all)! (Reminds me of Hewston, Texas, and Howston Street, NYC: a way to identify the tourists.)
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  2:45:33 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I was taught a rule of thumb in French. Terminal consonants are often silent, but the g in concierge is not terminal so should obviously be pronounced!
The rule I was taught is that the coonsonats in the world CAREFUL are usually pronounced in French - any word ending in C,R,F or L. Like most riles it probably doesn't work most of the time, but I'm curious to hera your comment.

Back on topic, what about Elann as in elann.com. Is it pronounced like the French Úlan, oris it ee-lan or something inbetween?

Colinette - most words ending in -ette are of French derivation. I would pronounce it as it looks, with a short o sound and the t definitely pronounced.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I'd pronounce Colinette the way it looks, col-i-net; it looks French, but it is a Welsh yarn company...does that make any difference?!

I've heard Elann pronunced both ways, but more commonly as ee-lan.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

The probelm with common sense these days, is that it is not very common.

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 3 FO
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  4:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
Boy this is a timely subject for me! I have been struggling with several of them and it has gotten that I quickly mumble my best guess and hope it is close enough that the employee has SOME idea of what I am after.

What about Patons? I've been saying Pat Ons, as my mother did, but the LYS employees say Pay tawns.

Here is a something I have been dying to ask someone. I have named one of my designs "The Daugava" after a river in Latvia, seeing as the cardigan is of Latvian influence. BUT, I have NO idea how to pronounce it.

Doo gaw va?
Dow ga va?
Doo ga va?
Da gaw fa?

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  8:49:57 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
Chris!!

At last a way to remember how to pronouce Kiogu!! I usualy got the 2nd syllable but I never could remember the 1st one. Now I can. Please thank your husband for me.

Jan in Lawrence, KS
"Why did the chicken cross the road?
Einstein: Did the chicken really cross the road or did the road move beneath the chicken?"
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  5:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Paton's is indeed pay-tuns. To be pat-ons, it would have to have 2 t's. Colinette is a French name, wherever she's from, so it's coll-i-net. I also pronounce Elann eh-LAHN, but I have no idea if I'm correct. I should call and find out...

One of my pet ARRGGHH!s is people pronouncing etagere "ett-u-ghay" and armoire "arm-WAH" - if the word ends in a vowel, you pronounce the preceding consonant. Of course, the best one was the moron who pronounced etagere, "entourage." I guffawed out loud.

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
This is amusing especially as we have so many different dialects present on the forum.

If I pronounced Aran as Erin I would be asked why I'm putting on an Irish accent!

Wen

2005 stats: 1 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

AstridOHara
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile Send AstridOHara a Private Message
Ok, here's another one that I hear a lot: skein. I say "skayne" but I also hear "skeen". Which is it?

Jill

Lost: one mind. Last seen in open position.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Oh- and Takhi is TAH-kee.

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chris

My husband calls Koigu "Koy Barf" because that's what he think of when I say coy-goo.

How do you say concierge? And sommelier (or however you spell that wine know it all name)?

And we think English pronounciations are difficult!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!

English pronounciations are difficult because English has stolen borrowed words from just about every other language known to man. And, often, kept the original spellings and other grammatical points. Which means that it's extremely inconsistent. The so-called rules seldom apply even 50% of the time. And that's not even counting regional diffenences!

Most other languages are far more consistent. For instance, there may be more than one way to write the long a (like in way) in French, but every time you see one of those ways, it's gonna say ay. (OK, now someone can look for exceptions to show me up )

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000