Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting for the troops?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beccaknits
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send beccaknits a Private Message
HI all I was wondering if there was a place that we could send our knitted items for the troops overseas? I feel like I should be doing something for them... I'm also going to look into writting letters to some soldiers.

Anyone have any info? TIA

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat." Rebecca West, age 20, 1913

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  05:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
If you Google the topic you'll find several organizations.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Isis Perez
Chatty Knitter

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile Send Isis Perez a Private Message
Here is a group that knits hats, socks and slippers for the troops.
The lady is in Florida and her name is Ellen.

ShipSupport@yahoogroups.com

You need to register but it is free.

They have two website as they are transferring their list to a new website.

The Ships Project website: www.coingo.net/theshipsproject

If you can give me your e-mail I will send you an e-mail that she send to me about what they do. Usually you would knit and then between the 1 and 7 of the month you can mail your knitted items to her. Then she would forward them to the list of troops that she is handling. Right now this group is the knitting for a lot of troops and they will need the items, since they are in cold weather.

If you have any question, you would to contact the Ellen she is the owner of the list.

I knit hats for them for over 2 years now and I do about 3 hats a month for them.

Take care,

Isis
Go to Top of Page

sarahgraceri
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  08:27:55 AM  Show Profile Send sarahgraceri a Private Message
You can address a letter to "Any Soldier" in a particular unit. One of my friends is in Iraq and he says the soldiers love getting those letters. If you'd like, I can PM you the address for his unit. Sarah
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
There is also an organization called Soldiers Angels (soldiersangels.com) where you can adopt soldiers. You can also contact your local veterans organization. Our community organization sends boxes regularly. Or you might contact local schools; my school has adopted the units of former students; my students are knitting hats for them.
Go to Top of Page

beccaknits
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  10:52:15 AM  Show Profile Send beccaknits a Private Message
Thanks guys! I'm going to look into these programs right now :D

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat." Rebecca West, age 20, 1913
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Another is operationac.com. It was originally started by a Mom to send air conditioners to Iraq. You can also adopt a soldier through this site. You'll get a name/address for letters and parcels.
Go to Top of Page

Suzy
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  3:13:10 PM  Show Profile Send Suzy a Private Message
Becca,
You are reading my mind! I recently uncovered some knitting books from the late-30s and 1942. One book from '42 has an extensive section titled "Start your winter war knitting now ... 23 garments to knit for the Services"; obviously WWII. Would love to share patterns if I can. But book's publisher, Lux Laboratories, probably still has copyright protection, unless company's been bought and sold so many times that there's no longer any infringement. Need to research. Have friends in publishing, so should only take a call or two. Some of the patterns include several service scarves, helmet cap, several pullovers, gloves and mittens, tuck-in muffler, service socks, and seaboot stockings.
Thanks to all for providing contact connection information. I'd like to knit some things to send.

If there is no wind, row!
Go to Top of Page

beccaknits
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  9:52:43 PM  Show Profile Send beccaknits a Private Message
Suzy, I would love a copy of the patterns if the copywrite is outdated, or non existant. That's an awsome find!

Go to Top of Page

CrazyWoman
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  6:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyWoman's Homepage  Send CrazyWoman a Yahoo! Message Send CrazyWoman a Private Message
Hi!

I was in the Army for 3 Years and I ended up going to Kuwait for 8 months. People sent me lots of nice latters and Care Packages (they were shared, after I picked thru it! ;-p ) I didn't have time to write people back and thank them, They keep soldiers busy over there. I kinda feel bad about it, but my own family didn't get many letters either. (bad soldier!) Also, some troops don't recive their mail right away because their unit moves faster than the mail can catch up.

The point is, they appreciate EVERYTHING people send them, even if they don't write you to say thanks.

Also, if you go to the Red Cross's store they are selling commemorative sock kits. It's a nice tin with yarn (80% wool), needles, and the sock instructions they gave to knit socks for soldiers in WWI.

http://www.pcxhost.com/store/st7/tp8/products/browse.jsp?category=1968&unique=1102037701375&sid=6938CACE1080E58753A3C9CAD1D5B1A88A1EB3F2
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  4:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Crazywoman: You cannot imagine how many of those Red Cross sox I made as a small kid during WW II. For that reason I don't knit sox. Take care. Bev

Bev
Go to Top of Page

kelty3r
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  4:40:38 PM  Show Profile Send kelty3r a Private Message
I need to do about 80 hours of community service for school and this sounds like a great idea. I usually knit hats for newborn babies, but this definitely seems a worthy cause. I'm against the war not the soldiers. i'm going to look into this right now.

Miss Saigon rules
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  6:20:09 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Two other causes to think about are Afghans for Afghans and Iraq Babies). They are geared toward providing warm clothing for the citizens of Afghan and Iraq, the latter for newborn babies & their moms. I'm working on some hats right now for both groups. I feel sort of guilty (not sure that's the right word) as an American for the "collateral damage" that our military has caused - the toll it must have taken on the civilian population makes me sad. Please don't misunderstand, I have my views on the war, but I don't mean this in a critical way. War causes civilian casualties (regardless whether you think a war is justified or not) and it makes me sad to think of the children who must be suffering because their countries are in chaos. I've also been knitting for two years or so for Ship's Project and I highly recommend it as the organizer, Ellen, has a very close relationship with the servicepeople and makes sure she sends only items that they need and want. The military lets her send packages even at times when other groups and the general public aren't encouraged to.
http://www.afghansforafghans.org
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/iraqbabies.html
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  01:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I'm not sure if the Canadian troops accept knitting, but you can find info to send letters etc here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Messageboard/index_e.asp

Craftiness is Sanity
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Fox News Channel recently featured a "My Soldier" web site. It was started by the school when one of its graduates was in Iraq. They have set up a link on the school's web site for citizens to send letters and items to the troops. www.manhattanville.edu

Also "Dear Abby" has a e-mail message site.

Because of current security and after the Anthrax incidents, I do not believe that one person is able to send direct mail to an individual soldier.

Last, the USO is accepting cash donations so that they can turn around and purchase items for soldier "goodie bags"
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
After perusing this site yesterday I was in a store the likes of which hardly exists any more--you can buy a hammer, a skein of embroidery floss, yarn, you get the idea. In the yarn section can you believe that I actually saw and bought camouflage yarn. I am now in the process of knitting a scarf for a Marine I know in Iraq. To be honest its an acrylic but that's ok. Acrylic can be very warm. Must say it is working up quite nice too. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?