Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitted Hood Pattern?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  4:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I love coats and jackets with hoods; they keep me warm without messing up or crushing my curls (grin). However, it's not always possible to FIND the coat you want with a hood.

I'd like to make myself a knitted hood that I could wear when wearing my non-hooded coats, and am wondering if anyone knows where I could find a pattern for one? NOT a hooded-scarf, but an actual, separate hood that drapes over the head and then buttons/ties around the neck. (One that pulls on over the head defeats the purpose of trying to not crush the hair!)

Any ideas? I could try making a pattern myself--it's not like it's that complicated a shape or idea--but if somebody has taken care of the work for me already . . . I figured if anyone would know, you folks would!

Thanks, as always,

Deb in NJ

Currently knitting:

Booga bag: bag done, working on I-cord handles

Rowan "Elfin" sweater: Back is done, just started the cardigan fronts (both together). Using Rowan's Felted Tweed yarn

Dale of Norway Shawl-collared Cardigan: Body and one sleeve done, working on second sleeve. Using Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran yarn.

A Christmas scarf for my Dad--about 2 feet long at present! Will be followed by a matching hat. Using Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran yarn.

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I would knit it like a hood on a sweater, except you cast on where it says pick up at the neck. Knit a couple of wors in garter (so it will not roll) and knit a row with eyelets for you to thread your string through (if that is how you want it. otherwise you can justa ttach cords near the neck part to make the ties).
Then knit as instructed for the hood. You can then pick which type of hood you like best!

celia

View my completed items here
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/celiang/
and my blog here
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  4:38:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
A knitted hood is a favorite Civil War accessory! I will see if I can find a pattern that is comprehensible in my books.

Polly

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  6:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
Years ago, my sister had something called a snood. I think that is what is was called. It was a circular tube knitted out of a soft mohair. You put it over yor head and you could wear just around your neck or pull it up and it became a hood. It was very soft and drapey and she loved it because it did not flatten her hair.
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
hey . This might be to far fetched for you; but here it is for your perusale.
http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Wardrobe/14chood.htm
A 14th century knitted hood. It has a button up mantle & is a hood. I'm going to give it a try soon. Without the extremely long 'tail' piece.
Bertram; I've got a few patterns like that & I've always called 'em cowls.
Also Tigeroz has mentioned wimples. That might be an idea too.
Go to Top of Page

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  8:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
Why couldn't you just modify a hooded scarf type pattern so that the 'scarf' part was just long enough to meet in front of your neck, then add a button hole to it?

It might work in a pinch at least

-C
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  09:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
Hooded scarves (and a lot of sweater hoods, for that matter) tend to be pretty snug fitting, whereas coats/jacket hoods tend to be a little looser and therefore more hair-friendly. (You know, when I just wore my hair pinned back every day, I didn't have this problem!) And, no matter which pattern I DO make, I'm thinking about making a silk lining for it anyway--so it won't "stick" to my hair . . .

Knitted things are wonderful, but they are terrible about creating frizz! (grin)

Deb in NJ

Currently knitting:

Booga bag: bag done, working on I-cord handles

Rowan "Elfin" sweater: Back is done, just started the cardigan fronts (both together). Using Rowan's Felted Tweed yarn

Dale of Norway Shawl-collared Cardigan: Body and one sleeve done, working on second sleeve. Using Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran yarn.

A Christmas scarf for my Dad--about 2 feet long at present! Will be followed by a matching hat. Using Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran yarn.
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  09:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
The latest Creative Knitting has a child's size hooded sweater. Maybe you could use it as a resource for developing your own adult sized one.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Deb,
I just finished knitting what you describe for my sister ... found the pattern online but unfortunately, I'm at work right now and it is at home. It was a tube knitted using needles two sizes smaller for the two edges (around face and around neck) than used in the body, just knit every row until about 17"-20"; the pattern called for knitting on straight needles then putting a seam in the ends which is worn under the chin but could easily be done on circular needle instead. I used a superwash merino wool and needles sz 7 & 9. warning: if you find the pattern, do some measuring because there are far too many stitches and I'm going to note adjustments before making another one. I'll try to remember to look it up tonight and post again.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
The pattern I was thinking of can be found at http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/scarfhooded.htm

the pattern as printed calls for fingering yarn and only gives gauge by the row, not stitches per inch, and calls for sz 8 & 10 needles. I used a Merino superwash in about a DK weight. I knit loosely but using sz 7 & 9 my row gauge was right. However, the scarf came out too large and I'll have to do an extra seam up the front edge to tighten it up under the chin. Using the same yarn again, I think I'd use 75 or 80 stitches instead of 105.

while I was KIP working on this hood, I spoke with a nurse who said when she was a child some elderly neighbors in Nova Scotia made similar hoods except theirs fanned out onto the shoulders. she remembered the hoods as being very warm.

hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  9:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I saw one in the book "Vogue Knitting: Quick Knits" ... it's called "Ribbed Hooded Cowl".

Agnes
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  9:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I've finally gotten to this (finally, in January!). I'm using a pattern from Viking Knits by Elsebeth Lavold--she has one sweater in there, Hermod, that has a detachable hood, which was just what I was looking for. Basically a hood, closed by a single button.

I looked to find a picture online, but the best I could do was an article about Ms. Lavold that has a picture of the sweater on a mannequin. Scroll about halfway down, on the left there's a picture of two bluish-gray sweaters with a caption saying "Designs from..." It's not a very GOOD picture to demonstrate the hood, but it was the best I could find!

http://knittinguniverse.com/articles/elsebeth/elsebeth.html

Deb in NJ

Deb in NJ

Currently knitting:
Rowan "Elfin" sweater: Back is done, working on the cardigan fronts (both together). Using Rowan's Felted Tweed yarn
And, learning to spin!
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  8:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
It's not a great picture of me (ahem), but here's one of my finished hood. I'm so happy with the way it came out!

http://chappysmom.typepad.com/photos/finished_projects/dscn0516.html

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/

Currently knitting:
Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi-are-Square shawl knit-along
Rowan "Elfin" sweater:
And, learning to spin!
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Oh yes, that does look great! I was thinking of something similar (I have curls too and don't like hats). Thanks for the inspiration.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe