Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 knitting and car trips
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beck2513
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send beck2513 a Private Message
I went to New Jersey this past weekend with my husband and I brought along my knitting. Boy I am so glad I did! I am not too good on car rides since my husband has a lead foot but I am happy to say I was concentrating so hard on my knitting I hardly noticed his driving. We usually argue so much during trips because he is driving like an animal. We only argued once when he almost crashed into the gate for the Easy Pass when it didnt come up. Thankfully we didnt drive into it. The machine was having trouble reading the Easy pass from our car so an attendant had to come out and do it by hand. Otherwise the trip was fine and we are still happily married....thanks to knitting! My husband now wants me to bring m knitting everytime we go out!

beck

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  3:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
I always tell people that I started knitting as a child so that I had something to focus on when we went on family vacations. My father is the scariest of drivers (worse now at 75!!). We'd load up the station wagon with Mom and Dad and four of us and the dog. The dog would pant and drool, the sibs would fight, my mother would nag at my dad's driving, and there I was in the back seat knitting. I was about 10 yo when my mother taught me to knit and it was a good thing. Now, I love to knit in the car during long trips. I'm still not the best passenger and it gets me by, productively!

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

bonitapita
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile Send bonitapita a Private Message
My husband also loves for me to knit in the car. BK (before knitting) I would want to read but I can't concentrate with ANY background noise, so I would ask him to not play the radio. That drove him nuts! So now, not only can he listen to the radio but we can carry on a conversations, too. OK, I didn't say he loved EVERYTHING about my knitting in the car!

Oh, and it keeps me awake, which was his other complaint.

We are about to go on a 12 hr car trip and I already have my projects lined up!

Tanya
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  4:42:21 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I will only knit in a car in the back seat. I tend to find cars not very comfy.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  4:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
DP knew I was beginning to trust his driving when I started to do cross stitch and crochet in the car. In fact, he knows how much I trust the driver by what I am doing in the passenger seat.

I can not even read when our old roomie is driving. That man doesn't have the awareness needed to drive! I need to be aware for him because this man has done several stupid stunts when it comes to his cars.

Examples: he backed out of his parking spot by rote and into another car that was sticking out too far. He played with his ipod for 2 minutes while driving around a parking lot and DP was yelling at him to pay attention. Just this saturday, he was at a stop sign with me in the car turning left and he decided to just go without checking to the right. If he had gone, we would have been hit by the truck coming up fast. If I wasn't paying attention, we would have been hit!

DP, on the other hand, can make the car do things like pivot around people. So when I'm not doing something in the car with him driving, he knows something's up.

Craftiness is Sanity
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

379 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  5:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
When I was a child I got car sick after about 20 min. To this day I can't read, or barely look at a map for more than a minute or two.
I was so suprised when I found out I could knit and not start feeling awful! It makes being a passenger so much more fun!

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I am a nervous wreck when I'm a passenger in a car. I drive every time I'm in a car, never a passenger so I don't get any car knitting done.... lucky for those people on the road with me...lol

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
If I am going to be in the car (as a passenger! )for more than 30 minutes I always take my knitting. I still don't enjoy long drives, but at least the knitting makes time seem to slip by faster.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  8:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
My husband doesn't allow knitting in the front passenger seat ... he says the needles are dangerous, especially if there is an accident.

Agnes
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  8:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
You have a smart hubby AgnesB. They are very dangerous in cars.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

cantnotknit
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  8:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cantnotknit's Homepage Send cantnotknit a Private Message
We are driving from Long Island to Aiken South Carolina for Thanksgiving. I plan to catch up on my Christmas knitting and getting some things finished!

Steph

http://stephaniemasseyphotography.com
http://photoworkshop.com/photoworkshop/imggrid.phtml?mem_id=sophiegirl
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I love long drives and I do most of the driving, but when my DH is driving I need to knit so that I don't notice the way he drives!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 20 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Just got back from Seattle & Portland. I love being a car passenger and site seeing - but also have my knitting for the more boring highway stretches. The projects are usually fairly simple so that I can stop, look around etc. and go back easily to knittng.
Visited and purchased at 2 lovely shops in Seattle - will post on another thread.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  11:02:34 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Julie, I, like you, am thrilled to finally be able to do something in the car without getting motion sick. I get a lot of my knitting (with circs) & crocheting done in the car.

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  11:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
My engineer DH says that knitting in the car is just as safe as anything else, seeing as how the needles are pretty much parallel to your body. And he actually thinks it's safer for me to knit than to not knit, because I distract him too much when I'm actually looking at the road!

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  05:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I don't see how knitting in the front seat is dangerous unless you're the driver! I knit all the time. My knitting is like American Express; I don't leave home without it.

Hey, Steph, I'm only about 20 minutes from Aiken. The weather should be great for Thanksgiving. We're having some lovely fall days here now.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  06:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I'd be so sick if I even tried, I'd be knitting in vommit. I've had motion sickness since I was little, I need to be looking out the windows and not down at anything.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I come from a family of engineeers, and used to be involved with a traffic cop. It's unsafe due to the fact that even the bluntest needle at 100km/h can turn deadly in a hugh speed collision. They also poke open the airbags. Pretty much the only thing a front seat passenger should be doing is reading.

Go to Top of Page

Filo
Chatty Knitter

Brazil
108 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  09:26:32 AM  Show Profile Send Filo a Private Message
I would love to be able to do something while travelling. However, I get sick if i do something else like reading... the only thing i can do is to take a nap ;-)
Patricia
Brazil
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  10:24:32 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
That makes sense, mokey. I'm still not going to give up my car knitting, though. Any object in a car can become airborne in a crash and become deadly. Besides, reading makes me sleepy!

Donna
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  10:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by spin_or_knit

That makes sense, mokey. I'm still not going to give up my car knitting, though. Any object in a car can become airborne in a crash and become deadly. Besides, reading makes me sleepy!

Donna

I think one solution is to keep being alert of the road condition no matter what you are doing. One reason sleeping in car is dangerous is that you are unaware of what's happening.

Agnes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.