Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 knitting and car trips
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  11:35:52 AM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I like to knit on long car trips;I find that I'm unable to read in the car,as it makes me feel sick.
My teenage son has a learner's licence,so over weekends,he often drives, with his Dad sitting beside him - that's my cue to get into the back with my knitting!

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  12:17:37 PM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I've always knit or crocheted in the car, but it's harder now with the kids. If they are all napping, it's great, otherwise they all seem to want something at the same time. I always have a small easy project ready to go, and it's usually a hat, a scarf, or something crocheted, since it's no big deal if you have to stop suddenly. One thing we bought to keep the kids busy during long drives is a portable DVD player, this way we cam bring it in with us wherever we go. Much cheaper than the models installed in the minivans. I always sit in the back (when not driving) to be closer to the kids.
I would think it would be dangerous in the back seat as well as the front, since so many models have airbags in the back now too. Won't stop me though.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
As far as I know, if you purchase a vehicle in Canada that has airbags in the back, you have to sign a release stating kids won't be using it. We've had two employees who have had to do that.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  2:25:16 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
You mean it's possible to just *sit* in the passenger seat?? Geez, I never knew that. I knit, I read, sometimes both.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

kelty3r
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  5:59:36 PM  Show Profile Send kelty3r a Private Message
It's weird, but I get motion sickness when I'm knitting in a car, but not when I crochet. : )
So you'll always see me crocheting scarves on the bus to school.

Miss Saigon rules
Go to Top of Page

dkey2@cox.net

USA
Posted - 11/21/2004 :  6:44:16 PM  Show Profile Send dkey2@cox.net a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beck2513

I went to New Jersey this past weekend with my husband and I brought along my knitting. Boy I am so glad I did! I am not too good on car rides since my husband has a lead foot but I am happy to say I was concentrating so hard on my knitting I hardly noticed his driving. We usually argue so much during trips because he is driving like an animal. We only argued once when he almost crashed into the gate for the Easy Pass when it didnt come up. Thankfully we didnt drive into it. The machine was having trouble reading the Easy pass from our car so an attendant had to come out and do it by hand. Otherwise the trip was fine and we are still happily married....thanks to knitting! My husband now wants me to bring m knitting everytime we go out!

beck

Go to Top of Page

dkey2@cox.net

USA
Posted - 11/21/2004 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile Send dkey2@cox.net a Private Message
becca is too funny, :). hi everyone, i'm a newbie. i'm still making swatches and reading how to's. I'm so hooked. i love yarn & love keeping my hands going.
I too love to knit and crochet in the car. I don't drive so i really manage to get alot of stitching done.In my line of work that is everyday.
I find i have to keep it simple because i can't manage to follow alot of instruction's while on the road.
I live on long island and am having a ball shopping for yarn. There are now two A.C. Moore's in my area and I'm loving it.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  05:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
My DGD is just learning how to knit , thanks to me, They live in NC and we are in PA. Over Thanksgiving they are driving to Chicago and her mom tells me she already has her knitting packed!

I do all the driving as DH scares the blank out of me when he drives! My dad was the same way. Why is it that men have to gaze at their surroundings while they are driving! I can remember my fear when dad was driving (50 + years ago).

Sure would like to be able to knit "on the road", but that is just where I'd be - SPLAT, on the road!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

iknitoomuch
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile Send iknitoomuch a Private Message
My husby constantly complains that I sleep in the passenger seat. Well, I rode in a car alot as a kid (my dad was a minister and we always had a drive to go to church) so I learned to pass the time by sleeping. My kids are the same way :) Anyway - I knit in the car to keep myself awake. We're most likely traveling from Ohio to NC for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to get some of my Christmas knitting done during that trip. I find myself knitting EVERY chance I get - whether it is in the car, at the dr's office, at a ballgame, or just watching the news. While my family doesn't quite understand, they do enjoy the results! :)

jb
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Ditto for me, I knit every and any chance I get. I knit as a passenger and always have a project handy in the back seat when I'm driving. It's then easy to pull out when I have to be waiting in the car for school pick-up or other time wasters. (Never while the vehicle is moving! LOL) We also go RVing and my on-board projects are the first items planned and packed!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I never knitted in the front seat while the car was moving because of the old style long thick metal sweater needles and, yes, motion sickness. I could just see one of my sweater SN nailing one of us.

Fast forward to modern times. After reading some of the experiences here, I'll try the circ's again while DH drives. His old Company sent them all to Defensive Driving school regularly, and so he's a very good driver. That is a good thing, since he drives about 120 miles a day, average.

My DPNs go everywhere with me, to knit while sitting and waiting in the car or where ever, but I will NOT use them in the moving car because I'm sure the airbag would do nasty things to my face, boobs, or belly if it deployed while I was knitting!

lella

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

needleknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  4:38:47 PM  Show Profile Send needleknit a Private Message
I love to have my DH drive so I can knit. I also get car sick, but find that most of the time it is no problem while knitting. Reading is a much different story, howeversince I love to read. Kate
Go to Top of Page

Catladyknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  7:08:02 PM  Show Profile Send Catladyknits a Private Message
I like knitting while my DH drives, and usually manage to squeeze it in somehow. Easy things, though, that can be interrupted, and I like to use circulars - the straight needles are just too awkward, I find. But the time sure flies when it's spent knitting!
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  8:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
I'm looking forward to the 10 hour trip home. My BF prefers to drive, so I get to knit my little heart out while we talk and listen to audio books. I do, however, stick to circular projects...no dpns or straights for me!

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  7:50:34 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i knit in the car when i'm waiting. i knit in the car when i'm a passenger. i have to. i get too carsick. when SO and i went to minneapolis as a run away, he drove to desmoines, and i knit the entire way. i drove to minneapolis from there. when we came back, i ran out of yarn, and had to sleep to combat the carsickness. i finally had to take over, so i wouldn't throw up. makes life interesting having a child who also gets carsick. she can handle the front seat though, so i get to drive (she's 18, lol)
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

nuttyknittingmama
Chatty Knitter

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  4:11:29 PM  Show Profile Send nuttyknittingmama a Private Message
Talking about straight needles I was working on a sweater pattern for my daughter and used straights.. 14 inches.. we were in the car going to TN and I got so frustrated and I had my dh stop at a yarn shop just to get some circulars.. boy do i love addi turbos.

gretchen

"only you allow others to harm you, by constantly remembering the hurt"
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  07:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
On Thanksgiving we had to drive from NYC to NJ and since neither of us wanted to drive I hired a car & driver to take us since I knew we could get a ride back to the city. The directions were printed out from Mapquest and my plan was to knit the whole way. Imagine how I felt, all comfy in the back, and then finding out that my knitting bag was locked in the trunk! There was no way of getting it and I sat, bumper to bumper waiting to get on the George Washington Bridge for a solid hour in addition to another hour of highway driving. Can you believe no place to get off except for actual exits to towns???? So.......no car knitting for me.

Why was it in the trunk, you ask? My son decided that knitting in the car is dangerous (he sees me knitting with long straight needles at home.) When we got home I showed him that I had transferred to circular needles "travelling needles" for the ride. Oh well, it's nice to know he cares and thinks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I had planned to knit on our 3+ hour Thanksgiving drive. Imagine my sadness and surprise when I pulled out my bobble and cable scarf, only to find that the pattern was packed away in my backpack in the trunk. Then, on the way home, I made sure the pattern was with me, but my cable holder was in my accessory bag .... in the trunk. I guess it was not meant to be. Next time, I'm going to make sure I have something simple with me. Also, I always transfer my projects to my Denises before I travel. They are less slippery than Addis, so less chance of losing stitches "on the road", and less chance of poking someone/dropping a needle in the seat.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?