Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 headbands - which way?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogi
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:04:02 PM  Show Profile Send Yogi a Private Message

Hi all,

If I had my knitting with me, I wouldn't have to post this, but I don't!

My friend called with a question. She wants to make a headband for her 2 YO daughter who refuses to wear hats in the winter. Which way will stretch LESS?? For example,

Cast on 12 stitches, knit 50 rows (horizontal rows) -or-

Cast on 50 stitches, knit 12 rows (vertical rows)?

The problem is that if the headband stretches out and falls down over her eyes, she won't wear that either!

It just occured to me that we were assuming a st st, but there might be a pattern stitch that might be better.

Thanks!

- Lisa

...smarter than the average bear ...

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I believe the one that you cast on 50 stitches for would stretch less.

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It'll stretch more sideways than long if it's st-st.

Ribbing or other stretchy patterns might be good here, she could make it small and have it stretch to fit.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:17:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Forget the two examples. Make the headband by casting on 50 and working it in k1 p2 ribbing and it will adjust to the size of the head. You can also make it by casting on 12 and working it in garter stitch. All knitting stretches so it is better to make something that is adjustable.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Yogi
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send Yogi a Private Message

Wow, that was fast!

I sense a stash-buster project coming up. I think I'll do one tonight.

The only bad thing about getting a manicure is that I have to sit there and let my nails dry and I can't knit.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:23:12 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
You know, I think you're right, Rose. I just checked it out, and it looks like the 12 stitch cast on might stretch less. I was going by something I'd read in a book on sweater design about lengthwise stretch.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Boy, I write slowly!
I made a headband once for myself wiht a shorter cast-on and with k2 p2 ribbing, and made it smaller than my head because it stretched and fit really well.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  3:44:16 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If the head is available, I just position the band around it and bind off when it fits. You can also measure the head and then make the band that length when it is stretched.

fran
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1750 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I'd like to throw another question out there.

When you make headbands, which cast on/cast off do you choose to keep the tension equal on both sides of the band? This would be for those made by casting on 50 stitches (or so) and knit in k-p rib. I like equal tension on both sides, but find sometimes one side is looser than the other. If I remember correctly, I think my cast off side is the looser. What do you all suggest?
Go to Top of Page

Yogi
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  09:27:04 AM  Show Profile Send Yogi a Private Message

HAHAH!! If the head is available! Hee hee. Well, it's her own kid, so I guess she generally knows where the head is... Ok, sorry, that was just funny. I told her to subtract 1 inch off of the tape measure, and do the k1,p2 ribbing.

Hey yarnlover, my casting on/off is always tighter than my knitting. I go up a needle size for the first/last row if I can.

So, remember that I forgot my knitting yesterday?? On the train home last night, they found a dead body on the tracks and we were stuck on the train!! (Yes, I live in Winfield) Torturous waste of knitting time. Curiously, the dead guy did not appear to be hit by a train yet somehow ended up on the train tracks. Looks like my little town's police force has something to do!

- Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  10:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnlover

I'd like to throw another question out there.

When you make headbands, which cast on/cast off do you choose to keep the tension equal on both sides of the band? This would be for those made by casting on 50 stitches (or so) and knit in k-p rib. I like equal tension on both sides, but find sometimes one side is looser than the other. If I remember correctly, I think my cast off side is the looser. What do you all suggest?

If I'm doing ribbing, I use tubular cast on and bind off. That way they're identical and they're nice and stretchy.

If I do it the other direction and use garter st, I use a provisional cast on, and then graft the ends together.

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1750 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  6:44:45 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
quote:
I use tubular cast on and bind off. That way they're identical and they're nice and stretchy.

Wendy,

After I posted my message, I remembered this was the exact same problem I had with my first side-to-side sweater. The first sleeve, with the cast on stitches looked good, but when I cast off the ribbing on the other sleeve - oh my, what a mismatch. I did a lot of research and found a cast off using a sewing needle and I was able to match the cast on sleeve, so both looked the same. Stretchiness wasn't much of a factor, just the look. I think it was some version of the tubular cast off, but I will get my books out and refresh my memory on how to do the tubulars. Thanks for the tip.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe