Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Okay, help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  5:57:49 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
So I am trying for about the fifth time to make button bands. The pattern calls for them to be ribbed, but then they pull tight and look like crap. The sweater is in rice stitch, which looks like little knots. Stockinette would LOOK great, but there's that whole curling problem. I know that I want to pick up stitches rather than making separate button bands. So help! What stitch pattern might I try next?

Rachel

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  6:21:38 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Ribbing might still look good if you pick up more stitches than the pattern calls for. If your row gauge is different from the designers, that would throw off the "correct" number of picked up stitches. (Yeah, as if you really wanted to try THAT again...)
How about garter stitch? (you'd want to pick up a lot fewer, since it expands widthwise rather than pulling in). If the original buttonholes were parallel to the ribbing, you might consider changing them so they're parallel to the garter ridges. If you like the garter stitch in the first place. (One crummy idea after another).
You could consider swatching your ribbing/garter stitch/whatever, to see how many stitches per inch you REALLY should be picking up along that edge. It might actually save time and aggravation in the end. (Hah. ditto.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe