Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Bound off edge too tight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steff13
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile Send steff13 a Private Message
I am a fairly new knitter, and I am having trouble with my bound-off edges. All I have made thus far are scarves, but every bound off edge I have made is too tight. All my other stitches are nice and even looking, but then you get to the end, and it's all wacky.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can avoid this? I would really appreciate any advice. I am making my brother a scarf for Christmas, and I want it to be just perfect.

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  8:40:55 PM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
Bind off with a needle a couple of sizes bigger than what you made the item with. It will make looser stitches for the bind off.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  9:18:38 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I have this problem too, steff, even when I really focus in "binding off loosely." Now I routinely do what Berchem says. I always grab a needle somewhat larger than what I've been using and bind off using it. It solves the problem beautifully!

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  9:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Here is a method that I learned in a lace class several years ago with Russian knitter Galina Khmeleva: purl the first two stitches together, then loosen that stitch up and place it back onto the left needle. Do the same thing again...purl the loosened stitch, now the first stitch on the left needle, together with the second stitch. Loosen it up and slip it back over to the left needle. Continue purling 2 together and slipping the loosened stitch back to the left all the way across. Pull the end through the last stitch left. I think this works by knitting two together and slipping back, too, but the purling gives a lovely, stretchy edge that I guarantee will not be tight!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  9:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Wow, thanks, yank! I had to snatch those directions. I'll try in on my next bind-off!

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  05:56:15 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yank-eknitter

Here is a method that I learned in a lace class several years ago with Russian knitter Galina Khmeleva:

Wow, I have never heard of this before. I will give it a try when I work on DH's tie.

Margaret in Waterloo, Ontario
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edelsma/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  06:36:08 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
Another thing to watch for is that you aren't binding off by only using the tips of your needles. Make sure you are putting the needle in up to the fatter part so you get loops that are the gauge of the needle as opposed to the gauge of the tips.
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  06:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
Our lovely Of Troy showed me that purl method for binding off and I agree it is wonderful. It is especially nice for socks.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  08:22:38 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Thanks from me, too, Yank-eKnitter! I have had this same problem, too, and have had to use larger needles and consciously make the stitches bigger. It's funny that I am a loose knitter and a tight bind-offer.

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

steff13
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile Send steff13 a Private Message
Thanks so much for all the advice!
Go to Top of Page

1derlandwoman
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  08:35:30 AM  Show Profile Send 1derlandwoman a Private Message
One of the first things my mother taught me was to cast on and bind off with larger needles. I use a needle about 30 to 50% larger in cm to do both. But I can't wait to try the purling method. How is the join when you cast off a piece knit in the round?

"life isn't about finding yourself. life is about creating yourself" george bernard shaw

http://www.aliceinyarnland.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  09:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
To be honest, I haven't tried the Russian Bindoff when knitting in the round. It is really a technique used in lace knitting to give a very stretchy edge and is about the only bindoff, according to Galina, that will give those wonderful points in Orenburg lace. I don't use it ALL the time as I don't usually have troubles with tight bindoff, but when I want something particularly stretchy, like the neck of a kid's sweater, I use this. It's also called Icelandic Bindoff. By the way, it's also pretty! I am reasonably sure I saw a similar technique using knit instead of purl, also supposed to be stretchy....will have to try that one of these days.
Marcia
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:58:24 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
If you are using this Russian bindoff, do you always purl even if binding off ribbing? Patterns usually say to bind off in pattern. I must try this.

I have good success with using a larger needle. Now here's a dumb tip that it took me ages to ralize. The needle you are binding off with never has more than 2 stitches on it. So it can be any kind of needle. I often grab a double point or a straight single point even if the project was done on circulars.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:46:09 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I have always called that the lace bind off and I do it with KNIT stitch. I would think it would work with ribbing as well. It is NOT a good bind off for something you do not want alot of give to.

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  7:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Hey THANKS! I am just about to the bind off on a pair of socks for me and have worried about the bindoff!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  9:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
For socks and sweaters (turtleneck & mock turtleneck), I prefer the tubular cast off.

http://flor.trix.net/tips5.htm
http://www.math.unl.edu/~gmeister/papers/Knitting/techniques.html

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:12:53 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just used the purl bind off on a little Christmas stocking I whipped up yesterday. It's easy and worked great in the round. It's hard to say what it looks like because the yarn is so slubby that I used for the white cuff. I mean, it looks great, but I can't tell what it would look like in smooth yarn. I made the pattern up as I worked it. I'll post it with a picture elsewhere. It's just big enough to stick a gift card in.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by