Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Beware: Lobster Pot Lace Weight Cashmere
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  04:27:34 AM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message
I had the wonderful experience of using their regular worsted weight yarn. It was so wonderful that I decided to try the lace weight.

I purchased 2 skeins (about 400 yards per skein) last month and decided to use it yesterday.

As I was very gently hand winding it it kept breaking. I gave up. I can't imagine knitting with it.

I have another skein I would love to return but don't have receipt anymore.

Just wanted to warn anyone who might want to purchase this beautiful looking yarn.

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  05:27:23 AM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Thanks for the heads up. Do you think it would do any good to e-mail the company? Maybe you just got a bad batch?
mwyn
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joelle's Homepage Send Joelle a Private Message
Joan,
You must've bought it from Purl, because I think we might be the only store who has it... It is a delicate yarn, but it makes an incredible fabric. You may have got a funny batch. I'm happy to exchange both skeins for you if you'd like. Please call the store and ask for me, or if I'm not there ask for Isabelle and explain that I said it would be alright. We're open today!
212 420 8796
Joelle
www.purlsoho.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  08:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Joelle, you ROCK.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
yes, joelle.. you really do rock.

If you have a concern about gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. ~Whoopi Goldberg

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:33:06 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Joelle, are you open on Sundays? I would love to visit your store when I am in NYC. Are you open Christmas Eve? Christmas is so hectic it's hard to find time for anything but doing Christmas, so I may have to wait until another time.

What's the closest subway stop to your store? Preferably IRT. I would be coming from Grand Central (my family lives in Yonkers).

I've been so impressed by your responses here that I would love to visit your store.

Anita

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message
Joelle

I was going to tell you about it when I came in.

I totally botched up the first skein but was wondering if I should try winding the other....

It is just beautiful. First I thought it was my tension of winding it but I was putting less tension on it than when I knit.

In fact, if I remember correctly, I am the one who told you about the yarn originally.

Thanks for offering the exchange. I might stop by this weekend.

I do not hold you or your wonderful staff at fault. I knew if I contacted you you would rectify it!

Happy Thanksgiving

Joan
Go to Top of Page

jeniflower
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeniflower's Homepage Send jeniflower a Private Message
Yes, Joelle does rock but, she is my sister so I knew that!

I wanted to let Anita know that yes, we are open on Sundays - we are open every day, in fact! Regular hours are Monday - Friday 12 - 7 and Weekends 12 - 6. I can't give directions since I run the webstie from California and would surely get youlost but, call the store and they will be ahppy to direct you!

Also, we will be open on Christmas Eve but, may leave early so, try to get there in the earlier part of the day!

Happy Knitting,

Jen
www.purlsoho.com
Go to Top of Page

Joan NYC
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile Send Joan NYC a Private Message
Great info on Purl

I take the bus down there and found the nearest subway is the N or R to Prince Street but there might be something nearer

Didn't realize it was now open on Mondays

joan
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  10:10:19 AM  Show Profile Send KEG a Private Message
The closest subway stop to Purl is the Spring Street stop on the C or E line - walk 1 block east and 1-1/2 blocks north. From Grand Central, you can take the #6 train to its Spring St. stop and walk west about 7 or 8 blocks to Sullivan and then 1-1/2 blocks north to the shop(short blocks, and interesting sights along the way).
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I need to take a road trip to Purl. You guys are wonderful (and I love your book)!
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  3:50:12 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
Next time I'm in NYC Purl will definitely be on my itenerary! Love the Purl scarf! I'm knitting one now in a beautiful handspun wool and Kidsilk Haze and a verigated mohair from Lang whose name I forget.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe