Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Happy Christmas to a certain telco (NOT)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
My husband lost his job. Arrrrgh.

For us this has been a long ongoing situation so its not a surprise but it is sore. This is especially so as its due to his complaining after having to worked several stints of 25 hours at a stretch - no I don't exagerate and put up with other unplesant push around stuff. Guess who got to make that decision non other than the senior manger he complained against.

Either pass me a bottle of whiskey or my knitting

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  10:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh, honey, take both.

I'm so sorry...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
think i know which company, as it was on the register yesterday about the job cuts. that is awful! thinking of both of you...

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
Go to Top of Page

ohiona
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  3:34:45 PM  Show Profile Send ohiona a Private Message
hi sabrina,
i understand your feeling glum, but i know from experience, that everytime one door closes, that another opens. (it really does...honest!) i hope that another door opens real soon for you and your husband....
keep your needles up and knit 'til they start smoking!
pj/ohio
Go to Top of Page

needleknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  4:42:48 PM  Show Profile Send needleknit a Private Message
Sending best wishes your way! Kate
Go to Top of Page

damama@cinci.rr.com

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  7:12:33 PM  Show Profile Send damama@cinci.rr.com a Private Message
Sabrina,
I'm right there with you. My husband was laid off in February. It was great for a while since I had to have surgery and needed to have someone with me 24/7 for awhile. His unemployment ran out last month but he did get two part-time jobs, making 1/3 what he was making before. One is a Christmas job so that won't last long! Things are opening up though. He is teaching some classes (not his previous career)and he enjoys it. Just start knitting your heart out. I am making use of the yarn I have been given and it helps my mental state.

Peggy
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  11:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
I was laid off a couple of summers ago and I definitely believe that new doors open when old ones close...and sometimes its a big improvement. I wish I had known how to knit that summer!!

And (only half joking) have you thought about teaching him how to knit?

http://www.librarianknits.com

The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together. --Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  3:31:48 PM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message
Sabrina,

I can certainly sympathize. I was laid off (downsized was the term then) from a Telco in the US in 1997, 11 months from retirement eligibility. It was actually a blessing. I worked as a contract consultant for several years, either working from my dining room table or living in different parts of the country for several months at a time. My husband and I enjoyed exploring new areas and I have now accepted a permanent position with one of the companies I worked for and we have relocated to sunny California.

We love it and without the kick in the pants would have never had the adventures.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Sally
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?