Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Travelling project suggestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  6:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
Hello,

I'm taking a big trip next week and was wondering about what projects to take along. This is the first time I've traveled any big distance since learning to knit, so I'm stumped on what to bring w/me. I'll have about 15 hours of flying time each way and lots of tour bus time over 10 days.

I am prepared in the (hopefully unlikely) event I have to check my knitting needles in my luggage.

I have yarn for just about anything, so suggest away. I have yet to do socks, so this might be a good time to learn on 2 circs, but I don't want to get stuck since there are no other knitters in our group. (If I can figure out that moebius cast-on of Bordhi's, I can have that project for on-the-bus knitting.)

Thanks.

StephanieR
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all walk into a stich-n-beach...

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
Socks, hats, scarves. All these are quite portable.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  9:50:22 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I do a lot of socks as they are small and the yarn doesn't take up much space in the carry-on or suitcase. Also I don't poke the person sitting next to me! This year I am also taking along the yarn and pattern for the Charlotte's Web shawl - that ought to keep me occupied through any amount of mind-numbingly boring airport waits or afternoons where everyone but me decides to go hiking around through the cactus.

Lin
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  06:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Socks and small-needle lace or fair-isle projects - both take time but don't take up much room in your tote. For charts, I copy the chart, put on a Post-It or two to mark rows, and then put in a heavy-weight page protecter. This works well for me when traveling.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

Yogi
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile Send Yogi a Private Message

I make sleeves on the airplane, and the body of the sweater while I'm on vacation. Actually, I haven't knitted on planes in a long time, since I'm scared someone will try to confiscate it. I crochet now, and I keep a binder clip on the working stitch so it doesn't pull out and unravel in my carryon.

...smarter than the average bear ...
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I ALWAYS travel with socks. Not only are they portable but I will actually wear them on my trip when I get them done. I would suggest purchasing Folk Socks by Nancy Bush. This book should get you through your first pair without a hitch. Use the "basic sock" pattern towards the front of the book. If this book doesn't look like something you'd use in the future then resort to the XRX Book Socks Socks Socks. This book also has a basic sock pattern towards the front, with really good illustrations. I would just xerox copy the 2-3 pages instead of lugging the book around with you. If you don't want to try out socks just yet I would suggest the multidirectional scarf. Kinda fun, you can make it short or long. The pattern is free on the web. Mittens, hats, wrist warmers, gauntlets, leg warmers, cowl (the neck without the sweater), purse/bag to be felted later...lots of options, but keep in mind you have to carry around whatever you knit once it's done too and you might want your suitcase space for other things?
Go to Top of Page

dianeknardin@kpmg.com

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  10:12:41 AM  Show Profile Send dianeknardin@kpmg.com a Private Message
I've knit everything on planes...socks, mittens, sweaters, you name it. I've had no trouble using wood or bamboo needles on flights within the US. When I fly to Europe, I can knit -- but coming back, I know from bitter experience that the Germans, French, and the Brits will not let you take knitting needles of any variety in your carry-on bags. Buy a knitting magazine and dream!

Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  10:35:50 AM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message
I am wondering where you are travelling to, perhaps certain items can be purchased there or it is something the locals may want to see.
Go to Top of Page

elogan@optonline.net

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  10:51:27 AM  Show Profile Send elogan@optonline.net a Private Message
The socks on two circs may be a good way to pass the time. I mastered that one on a 13 hour car trip. There was nothing else to do! I would suggest bringing a back up though. It may be pretty frustrating, and it would be a shame to waste that much time sitting idle. Socks in general are a great carry-along. Have a great trip!

Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Laurie K

I am wondering where you are travelling to, perhaps certain items can be purchased there or it is something the locals may want to see.

I'm going to Israel. I've heard that yarn is a little hard to come by there, but I haven't been able to reach anyone w/the local guild.

StephanieR
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  11:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
For the best HoKE factor (Hours of Knitting Enjoyment) I would suggest fine yarns. They require a lot of knitting time that you might not have the patience for in other circumstances, and they aren't too bulky to pack.

Socks or baby outfits are a good example.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I always have a sock,
toe up with an afterthought heel for trips
either car or whatever
this way I can knit and site see or knit and talk
and later I do the heels
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
Go to Top of Page

LidaLou
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile Send LidaLou a Private Message
Definitely socks on 2 circs, and a fine gauge scarf to work on during the in-flight movie (no counting rows needed).
On a recent flight, I was seated near a newbie who asked me to teach her to bind off. What fun helping and seeing her complete her first project!
I have had no problem taking knitting needles on many many domestic flights--thanks for the info about Europe!
Go to Top of Page

Laxmom4x
Gabber Extraordinaire

527 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile Send Laxmom4x a Private Message
I was never so happy after I started knitting to discover that focussing on a sock meant I wasn't focussing on my DHs driving!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  1:18:09 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message

I can recommend the Diane circular needles for flying. They are fantastic as the needles twist off and are smaller than a pen, also they are plastic so I don't think they will be confiscated by airport officials. I think they are great for knitting in close proximity to other people as it eliminates elbow knocking! As for actual project, something small. I did squares for an afghan which cut down on bulk. Good luck and happy hols! Liz
Go to Top of Page

Mandy
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  3:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mandy's Homepage Send Mandy a Private Message
I usually take something that I don't really have to look at, so I can look out the window. However you will be on a plane, and that is a little different. I would go for the socks, but since it is something new, try and squeeze in something else. (Just in Case)

-Mandy-
quote:
Originally posted by levis_mama

Hello,

I'm taking a big trip next week and was wondering about what projects to take along. This is the first time I've traveled any big distance since learning to knit, so I'm stumped on what to bring w/me. I'll have about 15 hours of flying time each way and lots of tour bus time over 10 days.

I am prepared in the (hopefully unlikely) event I have to check my knitting needles in my luggage.

I have yarn for just about anything, so suggest away. I have yet to do socks, so this might be a good time to learn on 2 circs, but I don't want to get stuck since there are no other knitters in our group. (If I can figure out that moebius cast-on of Bordhi's, I can have that project for on-the-bus knitting.)

Thanks.

StephanieR

Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
I recommend taking something simple that doesn't require too much attention to details. I had packed a project, but it required too much attention (two colors on bobbins, 2 charts and some cables), so I wound up not doing too much on the flight.

Just make sure you take non-metal circular needles and you should be fine. I just got back from a vacation this past weekend and flew out of Denver. I had two sets of bamboo circulars in my carry-on and there wasn't a problem.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  4:09:46 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Don't forget washcloths. They might be a great back-up project, when you want something pretty simple. I'm thinking on the bus, you might find your self talking with everyone else, which would be distracting (for me anyway!).

But the finer the yarn, the more room you'll have. In her Almanac, Elizabeth Zimmerman says she always takes a shawl on car trips.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

JammyB
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  4:23:35 PM  Show Profile Send JammyB a Private Message
I would take a simple project such as a ponchette. You can make one on circular needles and probably finish it on the airplane and wear it on your trip. If you want the pattern, please e-mail me.
The shawl pattern that Berrocco uses in the suede yarn is wonderful and easy.
Have a wonderful trip to Israel!

Ilene
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  5:30:23 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Don't forget if you are travelling to Australia knitting needles are a big no no and will be confiscated, knitting and all.

I don't know about crochet hooks tho.

I would do something really easy in stocking stitch or garter stitch, nothing that needs charts or constant colour changing.

Personally I would do cotton 3/4 sleeved t-shirts (or koolies as they are called).

Happy Christmas and holidays.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  6:32:34 PM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have flown on El Al Israel Airlines who have the strictest security measures and I always knit . Just last month, I took a group with me and many of us knit on the plane. I even used my #17s and 19's straignts in bamboo and wood without even a comment.

Laurie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.