Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 alice starmore books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
Does anyone know why Alice Starmore books are so expensive?

I have had my eye on the aran knitting one as I love to knit aran but it rockets in price whenever one becomes available on ebay. Also amazon is selling them at a very expensive price. I realise that a lot of them are out of print but wonder if the publishers will cotton on to the fact that there is a market out there for these books and start printing them again? I don't fancy spending upward of 100 for it but it does look nice. Liz

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  08:16:39 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Any books as rare as these are going to go for a high price, especially when they're in such high demand. I honestly can't imagine why they're not being reprinted unless there is some sort of rights dispute over the book--though given the rumors I have heard about the author, I suppose that wouldn't shock me at all.

By the way, Amazon doesn't set the price for the used books. The used books are sold by individuals and bookstores around the country and sold through Amazon's site. Amazon merely takes a commission on these sales.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I looked into this a while back. Long story but the short version is that Ms. Starmore had a huge blow out with the publisher/yarn supplier and left them. They are no longer allowed, (hugh legal battles here) to produce additional copies of her books, nor can Jameison & Smith (I think that is who it was) produce the yarns in the colors used in her books.

She now has her own company and sells kits for many of her patterns complete with her new line of yarns.

Jamieson & Smith have a range of colors that will still fill the requirements for many of her patterns, just that the color names are all different now.

Good luck with the books, the prices really have gotten ridiculous since no one wants to give up their copies!

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:47:54 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
Hi Rachelknitter and Martheme, thanks for putting me in the picture. Shame that there are all these political wrangles in such a friendly group of people such as knitters, goes against the philosophy really.
I managed to get hold of a nice copy of Starmore's 'Sweaters for men' and it was a lovely book but I wouldn't have paid more then a tenner for it. I personally don't think its worth paying out such huge amounts of money when there are some lovely new books out there to be had (hope I get lucky when Santa comes......live in hope).
Now I know its a political issue (rather than a bookful of fantastic must have knitting patterns) I will patiently wait until I see a bargain one up for grabs(!)
Thanks again
Liz
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
I've heard so much about the Aran book, as well, but there's no way I'm paying that much for a book. Luckily, I saw that there is a copy available at the library. You might want to check your local library. They may have a copy you can check out.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  10:23:43 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
If you go to Half.com (a subsidiary of ebay) there are some used Starmore books listed.
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I went to Starmore's website and love her celtic designs! Still considering if $100 for a sweater is worth it. I'll definitely check out the local library first.
BTW, I always use Fetch Book to look for best deal on books:
http://www.fetchbook.info/

Agnes

My blog - http://knittinginthevalley.blogspot.com/

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
Thanks guys, I didnt know about fetch book or half.com and have now put them in my favourites. Brill! I will definitely check out my library too as I have got the isbn number. Keep you posted!
Many thanks
Liz
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
There are rumors that Aran Knitting will be reprinted, so you may want to check www.virtualyarns.com periodically to see if it's being offered. I also like www.addall.com for book price comparisons. The in-print books (Fishermen's Sweaters, Children's Collection, Celtic Collection, and Tudor Roses) are still available for reasonable prices.

I recently received my first order from virtualyarns, and the yarn is really beautiful. One caveat if you're ordering from the U.S., the price will be charged to your credit card in GBP, so don't bother using the dollar button on the site. The conversion rate to dollars is out of date. It's expensive, but I'm not sure that it's much more expensive than Rowan or other high-end yarns.
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  6:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
I have always wanted a copy of Alice Staremore's Pacific Coast Highway. The sweaters are beautiful. But at $250.00 to $350.00 a copy I won't be owning one. I,ll look at yard sales and used book stores in hopes they arn't caught up in the pricing game on her books.
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message
I can't believe Pacific Coast Highway goes for that much! I'm sitting here with my soft-cover edition (I hope that price is for the hard-cover edition) with the original price tag of $18.95. Maybe I should get a safe-deposit box and keep it there! LOL!
Cathy
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I just bought The Celtic Collection. I love it. It wasn't expensive at all. Must be one that they aren't arguing about. It's a lovely book. Will I ever be talented enough to make one of her patterns tho' that's the question. I can dream all I want tho' and sometimes in this wonder called life my dreams do come true! I will NOT pay 250 dollars for any book. I'll go to the local library, have them get it from another library on loan to read it.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  6:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I have Celtic Collection and Fishermen's Sweaters. I like the sweaters in Fishermen Sweaters more than the Celtic Collection (I'm more of an Aran girl). I've been dying to get my mitts on a copy of Aran Knitting. Alas I have a small library, I still need to check if they'd be willing to get it for me on book exchange.

I found a place with "Tudor Roses" for cheap. Ebay has a couple of copies but check here too:
http://www.needleartsbookshop.com

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

edithcone
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  06:32:44 AM  Show Profile Send edithcone a Private Message
I don't know if my stars where in cosmic alignment but within the past three weeks I picked up two Alice Starmore books on eBay in like new condition. The first was Aran Knitting for $30 US and the second was The Book of Fair Isle Knitting for $12 US. Incredible. I was doing a random search in both cases. I have been watching these titles for at least 5 years! I almost felt guilty making the payments. So, it pays to keep your eyes peeled.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  9:10:18 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by edithcone

I don't know if my stars where in cosmic alignment but within the past three weeks I picked up two Alice Starmore books on eBay in like new condition. The first was Aran Knitting for $30 US and the second was The Book of Fair Isle Knitting for $12 US. Incredible. I was doing a random search in both cases. I have been watching these titles for at least 5 years! I almost felt guilty making the payments. So, it pays to keep your eyes peeled.

YOu got Aran Knitting for $30!? That's amazing! I checked it out of th elibaray an dit's a wonderful resource. I am so jealous!

Congratulations!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  05:30:37 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Part of the problem is that Starmore's books went out of print just before knitting exploded in popularity. Several, including Fishermen's Sweaters, Celtic Collection, and Tudor Roses, are in print, so don't overpay. Her cult following drives up the prices. If you're becoming interested in traditional knitting, but the book doesn't need to have the Starmore name, check out Traditional KNitting of the Scottish and Irish Isles, edited (not designed) by Debbie Bliss, and Classic British Knits by Madeline Weston. Both titles have aran, gansey, and fair isle patterns that are really lovely.
Go to Top of Page

SaintJay
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaintJay's Homepage Send SaintJay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mbmoody

If you're becoming interested in traditional knitting, but the book doesn't need to have the Starmore name, check out Traditional KNitting of the Scottish and Irish Isles, edited (not designed) by Debbie Bliss, and Classic British Knits by Madeline Weston. Both titles have aran, gansey, and fair isle patterns that are really lovely.

Great advice. I would add to the list Viking Knits by Elsebeth Lavold.
Go to Top of Page

ktwo
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit ktwo's Homepage Send ktwo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by edithcone

Do you have links to these auctions or the sellers? I've been going to ebay almost every day for a couple of months, and would be curious to know who sold them this cheaply, as I seemed to have completely missed those auctions.
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  02:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AgnesB

I went to Starmore's website and love her celtic designs!

Can you post her website address? I looked and couldn't find one. I just saw her book Tudor Roses this weekend, and fell in love with it. I didn't buy it - but I really think I will. I also noticed the high prices on eBay and Amazon for her books; pretty amazing!

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  03:06:32 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Alice and Jade Starmore's site is:
http://www.virtualyarns.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
If the Starmores were smart (and I think they are)
they would re-issued this books in limited edition for a semi reasonable price.
Because even at 75.00 per book for some of those books, they would be presold in a flash.
I would like the Fair Isle technique one.
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.