Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 alice starmore books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
I would also like the Fair Isle book by the Starmores. I watch them on Ebay going for such high prices I can't imagne ever having one. I also would love to have the Pacfic Coast Hiway Book. They are dreams at this time.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

knittingfever04
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:50:11 AM  Show Profile Send knittingfever04 a Private Message
I just love her books!
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  12:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
Thanks for the URL! I went to my LYS today and bought Tudor Roses - couldn't believe it was only $32. I have been watching it on eBay and its at least $50 there. And I swear she told me last week it was $70...but I think maybe she was giving me a break because I've bought yarn there two weekends in a row. I made my husband drive home so I could start reading it - I just wish I could knit well enough to start one of the patterns today.

Jeanne

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  12:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
Jeanne, just practice some of the patterns as round swatches......
It will get easy pretty quickly
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi

http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  06:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by truly violet

Jeanne, just practice some of the patterns as round swatches......
It will get easy pretty quickly
vi

Thanks - I will try that. I also bought the Celtic book, and have been carrying it around with me all week (sort of like a kid's blanket!). I keep on looking at it, and trying to work up the courage to just try a pattern. They are really amazing designs.

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

eastrock
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile Send eastrock a Private Message
I posted this in the current projects section, but thought I might find a veteran of the Maidenhair cardigan in this thread.

Has anyone knit the Alice Starmore maidenhair cardigan? I was lucky enough to locate an adequate supply of Scottish fleet in a good color, but I am really having trouble with the gauge. She calls for 30 st/10cm and 36 rows per 10 cm on 3's. Now, bear in mind that I am usually having trouble because I knit too tightly---but, I thought I was ok with a 2.25 mm (1) I seemed to have 30 stitches, though more than 36 rows on my gauge swatch, which seems like it could be a problem for neck shaping. Alas, I cast on the 185 stitches and worked 12 rows in moss stitch, and now have, instead of a 24 1/4 inch wide piece, a 26 1/2 inch wide piece. I've got a 2.00 mm needle on order, but I'm really worried here! Even if the width gauge works out, the row problem will be even worse. Is this yarn just too thick for what it's being asked to do? I'm already working with the smallest size in the pattern, but checking against sweaters that fit me, I'll have plenty of ease in a sweater the size of the smallest one, and the medium would be way too large. I tried linking up with Knitting Beyond the Hebrides, but never heard back, and now their website doesn't load. Any Starmore veterans out there who can help?
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  4:23:40 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I picked up the Fair Isle Knitting today from the library. Some great info in it as well as patterns.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I got the Fair Isle book a while ago for under $20 (can't remember exactly) at a thrift store! Lucky or what? It's an excellent book and I love it though I'll probably never make a sweater from it. I admire the technique but would never wear one. Not really me and I'm horribly allergic to wool. But I love the book for all the discussion on technique and colour theory and colour inspiration. I was particularily impressed with the idea of sitting outside and sketching colours from nature onto graphs for the Fair Isle designs. I'd like to try Fair Isle but since I can't use wool, I don't think I'll ever create a masterpiece of a garment!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hello Knitty

I got the Fair Isle book a while ago for under $20 (can't remember exactly) at a thrift store! Lucky or what? It's an excellent book and I love it though I'll probably never make a sweater from it. I admire the technique but would never wear one. Not really me and I'm horribly allergic to wool. But I love the book for all the discussion on technique and colour theory and colour inspiration. I was particularily impressed with the idea of sitting outside and sketching colours from nature onto graphs for the Fair Isle designs. I'd like to try Fair Isle but since I can't use wool, I don't think I'll ever create a masterpiece of a garment!

hmmmmmmmm......... could you stand maybe silk and alpaca?
woudl that work?
if not you can send that book to me, I would put it to good use eventually
hahaha
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi

http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kelper
New Pal

Falkland Islands
31 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  06:08:25 AM  Show Profile Send kelper a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnittingLiz

Hi Rachelknitter and Martheme, thanks for putting me in the picture. Shame that there are all these political wrangles in such a friendly group of people such as knitters, goes against the philosophy really.
I managed to get hold of a nice copy of Starmore's 'Sweaters for men' and it was a lovely book but I wouldn't have paid more then a tenner for it. I personally don't think its worth paying out such huge amounts of money when there are some lovely new books out there to be had (hope I get lucky when Santa comes......live in hope).
Now I know its a political issue (rather than a bookful of fantastic must have knitting patterns) I will patiently wait until I see a bargain one up for grabs(!)
Thanks again
Liz

I am a huge Starmore fan. I haven't heard of "Sweaters for Men". Can you PM me and tell me more about it. I am astonished at the price her books are selling for. My husband now views my large knitting book collection with a lot more respect!

kelper
Go to Top of Page

rasbora
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  08:03:44 AM  Show Profile Send rasbora a Private Message
The Aran Knitting (new) was available at www.ecampus.com for $27.97 last week, but is listed as out-of-print now. However, you can still buy "Sweaters for Men" for $17.50. It's temporarily out-of-stock but they are expecting more to come in so you can order now to reserve your copy. You can get free shipping for order > $49. Also, using SAVE5 coupon code during check out can save you 5 bucks (don't know when the coupon will expire though, but I just used it last night to order a copy of "Sweaters for Men" for a total of $16.47). Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  08:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I saw Fisherman's Sweaters and Celtic Designs (paperback) in Border's recently. From time to time, I can see hardcopy of Aran Knitting in B&N.

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

trisha
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile Send trisha a Private Message
Does anyone know of a website or link that show any pictures of the sweaters in AS book? before i buy i would like to see some design (pacific coast or aran knitting or in the hebrides for example)
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  4:47:56 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Trisha-- The best place to go for pictures from Aran Knitting is to AS's own website. In their Back Catalog section they have pictures of designs from the actual book. You can also see how much they are selling the yarn for these projects, too.

"How much can we hear if we cover our ears?"
from Jennifer Avalon's essay: Great Divide Part 2
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
I always check Starmore items on ebay, hoping I might get lucky. Not long ago someone posted almost all the pictures from Stillwater in their listing. That was quite a treat since I don't think I'll ever buy a copy.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  01:35:37 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Here's the link to eBay with all of the Stillwater pictures that Melinda mentioned. Don't know how long the pictures will be up for. It looks like no one bought this book, so if any of you are interested in buying (US$150) you might be able to contact the seller.

"How much can we hear if we cover our ears?"
from Jennifer Avalon's essay: Great Divide Part 2
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  03:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Thanks for the link to Stillwater.I was wondering what the designs looked like in that book.Do they look out of date(the basic shape) to anyone else besides me? Look so 80's with the oversized body and tighter ribbing. I think I will stick to lusting after Aran Knitting.
Lisa

New sock design...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com
Knitting photos-http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Go to Top of Page

rasbora
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  07:43:20 AM  Show Profile Send rasbora a Private Message
Thanks for the link to Stillwater. Those designs look fine to me. I guess it shouldn't be difficult to modify the style by shortening the lenght a bit, right? To avoid the tight ribbing, we can use the same size (large) needle as the one used for main body instead of smaller one, or put more cast-on instead of increasing after the ribbing.
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  08:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by greengirl
It looks like no one bought this book, so if any of you are interested in buying (US$150) you might be able to contact the seller.[/green][/font=Trebuchet MS]

Wow ... $150? You may wonder why no one buys it, huh?

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

rasbora
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  09:56:42 AM  Show Profile Send rasbora a Private Message
Here is a link to some of the sweaters in Tudor Roses, whose price is starting to skyrocket as well.

http://www.wolleunddesign.de/Bucher/TudorRoses/contents.htm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.