Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 Best book for beginners?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoliGee
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  09:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoliGee's Homepage Send JoliGee a Private Message
My $50 Barnes& Noble gift card is burning a hole in my pocket.

What does everyone suggest I purchase with it? I am going slow, re-learning basics and developing technique. My goal for 2005 is personalized Christmas Stockings by December, but I have yet to knit a sock. Any suggestions?

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
There are many good books for beginners. Knitting for Dummies is my favorite. A lot of people swear by the Vogue Book of Knitting. I'd suggest browsing through several at the bookstore or even test drive them by checking them out of the library and see which one fits your style of learning.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4160 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
The Stitch N beach books are great, and the book "Socks Soar on Two Circular needles" is a great way to learn socks! Enjoy!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  07:37:21 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Knitting Experience: The Knit Stitch. Same for The Purl Stitch.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I agree with kekokat. The Sally Melville books are outstanding--even if you don't like the patterns in the books (which I don't particularly) they are indispensible for their instructional value. Where most knitting books will show you two or three diagrams, Sally's books show you 7 or 8 very clear photos that not only show you where your needles should go, but frame by frame how they got there.
Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message
I think the first Stitch N beach book is great. Several of my LYS owners agree that the instructions are among the best they've seen.

When I start relearning knitting, the Vogue Book was my best resource.

Also (a teeny shameless plug) you might want to check out The Art of Knitting DVD. It's a great teaching tool and helped me lots. I think it's a great addition to any knitting library. FYI, Volume 2 which is being released early next year, will have complete sock lessons with Nancie Wiseman.

Take care and Happy New Year!
Ellen
www.theartofknitting.com

See what I'm up to at:
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
The next time you are at B&N, check Knit Wit. Even if you don't find the patterns appealing, check the section of knitting tips and how-tos.

There's also Teach Yourself Visually Knitting and Crocheting. I saw this book at the store and it looked like a great learning tool.

The B&N giftcards should be accepted online, as well. Sometimes you can get a nice little discount, as well as free shipping.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I would be nowhere without my Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears. It's not so much the technique, but how to be a fearless knitter... it's invaluable to me....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I really like The Big Book of Knitting, by Katerina Buss. It's not an instruction book, but is a great reference book. It covers all different levels from beginner to expert and has great photos to illustrate techniques. (Thanks to "of Troy" for suggesting this to me.)

Meg

There's two sides to everything. One woman's knit is another woman's purl.
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
739 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
I think Sally Melville's books are great- The Kntting experience "the Knit Stitch" and "the Purl Stitch"- great pictures, good explanations and if you ever get to take a class from her- She's wonderful!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message
I forgot to add another one of my favorites:

Mary Thomas's Knitting Book by Mary Thomas.
It's a Dover Paperback and it's got a wealth of information.

Take care,
Ellen
http://www.theartofknitting.com

See what I'm up to at:
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  8:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I agree with Rose By Any (Other Name I assume) about Knitting w/o Tears. When I want to know something, I go to Elizabeth Zimmerman.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

onealees
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  4:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit onealees's Homepage Send onealees a Private Message
I would agree that the first Stitch -N- beach book is good. It has helped me quite a bit. I would also recommend a few websites that have video clips on how to do certain stitches. I mean, books are great, but the pictures can sometimes only go so far before you start asking yourself "Are they doing what I think that they're doing?" <--- Gee, I sound like a mom that just walked in on their teenager (and we all know that that could mean any number of things...)

Check these out:

http://www.stitchguide.com
http://www.knittinghelp.com
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  4:42:00 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Go to the library. Try to preview anythng you might want to buy. I've been sorely disappointed in almost every book I 've bought without seeing it first. Books, like anything else, are a personal choice. Where some would swear by Vogue, I swear at them. They cofuse me about things I already understand. Can't make head nor tail out of their writing.

So, check for yourself. Also, Clara wrote an article on should-have books for the well rounded knitter (sorry, don't have the link).

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Kimber
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile Send Kimber a Private Message
Hi everyone! Newbie here...
My experience with knitting instruction books hasn't been all that pleasant until I picked up "stitch'n beach"...now the things that confused me aren't so confusing anymore. I saw that a few others in here suggested it too. I'm even going to try cableing (sp) very soon. I like how its so clearly explained.
I'm selling my other books on Amazon...lol. (more money for yarn!!)
Go to Top of Page

SaraRachel2004
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile Send SaraRachel2004 a Private Message
I'm partial to Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English (and for later, Sweater Design in Plain Engish), simply because I taught myself from these books. I really like Maggie's way of talking about knitting, and while she doesn't necessarily provide loads of diagrams, she's a lot of fun to read. You might like her stuff in addition to something like "The Knit Stitch" or "Stitch and beach". She has a lot of really good common sense pointers for things, and she handholds you through the processes of learning increases, decreases, short rows, following stitch patterns, reading abbreviations, and gives some great hints for just about every aspect of knitting from picking out yarn to keeping track of lace knitting to caring for a finished knitted garment. I found her "Sweater Design in Plain English" to be a really fun way to learn about designing my own sweaters.

So, there's my two bits. You can always get things from the library and then buy whichever one (or two or three) which you like best.

SaraRachel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?