Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 So what is everyone working on for the new year?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
This will be my first full year of knitting (I just learned in August or Sept.)

My projects for the year include:

1. finish winter headband for grandmother
2. mittens and purse for mother
3. scarf, mittens, winter headband for me
4. dishcloths for my daughter's play kitchen (a special request from her!)
5. the Tempting sweater from Knitty
6. a cotton sleeveless cowl neck sweater (can't remember right now where pattern is from)
7. 4 couch pillows

That's it for now, but I'm sure my list will grow and extend into next year.

Happy new year everyone!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dschmidt

Working on the mercury messenger bag to felt for my daughter. I am going to do a charity project for each project I finish for my family or self so a hat will be next. Then I am going to make some socks and a sweater for my son.

Donna in VA

Donna, that's terrific! And it's a great way to get some charity knitting done. Now if only I weren't such a slow knitter.....

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:06:25 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Anna! May I make a dishcloth for your daughter? What size, what color? I have some yellow and white cotton and some multicolored (white w/pastels) cotton...would that work? I think it'd be fun for your daughter to have a bunch of us send dish cloths to her! Anyone else interested? My email is chrisppp@aol.com...send me your address and your daughter's name!

chris (I really really need to get some grandchildren...NOT!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

acsc1998
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:24:33 PM  Show Profile Send acsc1998 a Private Message
Well, I'm just about finished with my very first sweater. i was so excited - i found a great pattern for a bulky turtleneck sweater, calculated the yarn i needed, and bought 11 balls for Jo Sharp silkroad aran from Elann. Yesterday as I was finishing the last sleeve I realized i was about 5 inches short of yarn. So i had to order some more on-line at regular price - ACK. Once that comes, i'm hoping to finish knitting the sweater and then all I'll have to do is sew it up.

I'm also working on a skinny scarf knitted out of blue sky alpaca (which i love) and I just started a baby blanket for my future neice/nephew. I decided to do a basketweave pattern in a double stranded chenille (also, i chose very un-orthodox baby colors - green and purple knit together - they're strange colors but i'm loving the way its knitting up) I just couldn't stand doing another baby blanket in "unisex" colors - i had to make this one interestin : )

Lexy
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I finished my first project of 2005. This was a pair of socks for my SO, knitted in a 6-ply yarn. I was surprised at how quickly these went. A family get-together on Sunday accounted for most of one sock which I finished yesterday. The other was finished New Year's Day.

I started another pair today which is also a sportweight so these should go quickly too, but alas I'm back at work so I'm back to knitting these in the car and other snatched moments.

My main knitting is the cover jacket from Jean Moss' Sculptured Knits. I think it's called Art Deco or something similar. I'm making it in Cascade Success, a 50/50 alpaca/silk blend, in a warm fuschia. I finished the body and hope to cast on the first sleeve tonight. I have some business travel coming up next week which should be good for several hours of airplane and waiting room knitting. I may have another FO by the end of next week.

After that, I think I'll do some aran knitting with my new tweeds I just got from Webs. It's luscious stuff, heathery and lofty, just what I need after the unyielding alpaca/silk yarn. Then either something in fair isle from Alice Starmore or Dale.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

babyprep
Chatty Knitter

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  9:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit babyprep's Homepage Send babyprep a Private Message
I am starting on the lace pants from the Vogue Knitting Magazine Spring/Summer issue 2003, page 85. I chose black mercerized cotton crochet thread (size 3) for them. They are for a friend at work. Has anyone made these? I'm having a blast!
And, my gift fairy, Delta (AKA knittergrrl) gave me some yummy reddish mohair from a local woman! I think a lace scarf is in order - any ideas for 110 yards or more if I get my hands on more...Hee Hee!!!!!

Teresa in sunny Florida
www.myknittingpassion.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  8:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
Right now I'm working on a fuzzy pink throw with Bernat Fur Out in Fab Fuschia (it really is fab!) as well as a blackberry stitch scarf in Lamb's Pride Autumn Harvest-a nice retro orange color. Both are for me!

After that, I'm going to start to knit in the round. I have three goals I'd like to accomplish by spring:

a pair of socks, a hat in the round, and a felted tote bag.

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  9:27:48 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the Sassy cardie made with Peace Fleece. Also working on some baby gifts for friends. Bought yarn for Elfin with the wonderful gift cert. from dh - I can't wait to do that! But I promised myself I'd finish the dozen or so other projects I have going on before then!

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

DoodleEwe
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  11:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit DoodleEwe's Homepage Send DoodleEwe a Private Message
I'm currently working on finishing a mate to the sock I've already finished, a pair or socks for my aunt, and a sweater for my husband.

When that's all finished I'd like to start on a sweater for myself and I'm hoping to have the time to sit down and try my hand at fair isle.

Families are like fudge . . .mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
Need to make a second sock as I have two feet! I am also working on a cabled hooded sweater and since I haven't done cables in about 20 years I am slowly progressing along. I also bought some Noro to make a felted purse or bag and some brown sheep to make a cardigan. That should keep me busy well into the new year.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  5:24:03 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I had some navy blue Patons Zhivago left over from a pullover I've just recently completed - it was only enough for a scarf,but I already have one in plain navy,so I found some white mohair yarn,and am knitting my scarf with 2 strands held together,which gives a nice flecked effect.

Last winter I bought some Cleckheaton country 8 ply which I still have in my yarn basket.It's a lovely shade of purple,and I plan to use it for a v-necked sweater for myself,butwould like to finish my scarf first.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  9:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
My two college-age granddaughters were here over Thanksgiving and each selected a design, as well as wool from Virtual Yarn. I'm doing the Lily Chin "Double Crossings" from Knitters #73(?) for one and St. Brigid from Aran Knitting for the other. The yarn for DC arrived first, so that's what I'm doing and am almost to the shoulders (having done the body in the round and now working on the front). LC isn't my favorite designer, but must admit this is rather spectacular! The yarn is sort of a mossy green, quite pretty. In the meantime, I have four scarves in various stages, which I pick up while waiting for a pot to come to the boil, sitting "on hold" listening to that dreadful music, or a boring phone call - you'd be surprised at how much can be accomplished!
Dicksie
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:43:25 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Things that are either on my needles or that I'm about to start are:
- An afghan for my brother (it's close to being done) (actually, this is crocheted, the rest are knitted projects)
- A Fiber Trends felt tote for myself in green Lamb's Pride with novelty yarn stripe near the top - I'm using eyelash. This is my first felting project...woo-hoo!
- A mitten and hat set from Elsebeth Lavold Designer's Choice Book One: The Viking Knits Collection (probably for myself)
- A vest in a tweedy Encore as a gift

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  11:34:54 PM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
an altered state version of Cheesy Love from Knitty: no frills but picot turned hem edges instead
resized due to finer yarn (wool & cotton from Debbie bliss).
no ribs and probably no v neck either.
no mohair but instead the hearsts will be cotton cashmere.
After that headache i'm tempting by the Candy cardigan from knitty too but mohair is so itchy I'd have to think alternatives again.
And there's 2 designs in the upcoming VK 'pretty please' section that look rather tempting.
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  06:03:09 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Too much stuff! I've still got kind of a backlog of things I have promised to people-- three children's ponchos, a scarf, and a stole. (I am being paid for some of this and it helps fund my habit, so I'm okay with it.) Then I'm making my daughter a sweater and myself a shawl, and I've got a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. Trying to decide what to do with that! Also I have a ton of friends having babies this spring and summer, so will be doing some baby knitting.

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  11:15:25 PM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
Update.. Just finished a pair of Joan's Socks (see the lionbrand website) in wool-ease , color: Colonial; using dpns sizes 6 and 8 for a cousin. Now all I have to do is sew on the suede slipper bottoms and I will be completely finished.
HMMMMM, what is next? Perhaps the reversible cabled key-hole scarf in Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky? OR a pair of arm warmers in Noro? Or another pair of socks? Decisions, decisions.
Go to Top of Page

SquishyKnits
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  12:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Send SquishyKnits a Yahoo! Message Send SquishyKnits a Private Message
I haven't been knitting long, and so far I've only made 3 scarves, 2 hats, and an outfit for a stuffed frog (hat/scarf).
One hat was way too big, the other way too small (but much more shapely).
This year, I want to:
- Make beanies for my brother
- Learn the perfect purl (mine is loose)
- Learn to use circs
- Learn to use DPNs
- Start the Clapotis from Knitty (woo! I'm ambitious)
- Knit the Alien Illusion scarf from SnB

I love the idea someone had upthread of doing one charity item a month. I wonder if there's a charity knitalong?
Go to Top of Page

Irish350
Chatty Knitter

USA
321 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  8:54:30 PM  Show Profile Send Irish350 a Private Message
I love reading what everyone is working on.... I am making a pair of Lapland Mittens, some socks and a few small felted bags. I have a list a mile long, like everyone else.

Maureen
http://irishknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I agree, Irish! Makes me think about all the stuff that I want to do or learn to do, but can't until I finish my WIPs, or at least some of them. Okay:
- Just finished a variegated brown hat (my first) to donate to a chemo cap charity
- Just finished my first sweater! A little yellow baby sweater, very simple, adapted from a Bernat pattern for a hoodie (mine has no hood)

And then onto WIPs:

- Lavender and cream striped baby blanket, about 1/2-1/3 of the way done
- One toddler size mitten for charity in Homespun yarn, missing its partner
- Baby blue mitered square tote with i-cord scraps- just three more main squares, the sides, and the i-cord.. *sigh*
- Shimmery white feather and fan shawl for my mom
- Sunny yellow modified Hoover blanket- seed stitch border around a double knit panel in the center (My favorite to work on, but takes a long time-- thank goodness I was smart; the baby isn't due till June!)

UFO: 1 mock-colinette (same pattern and idea, cheaper yarns put together) in pinks and greens; my only project to date for myself

TBS:

- Another burnt orange, blue, and cream mock Colinette for my mother
- Grey felted tote bag with Noro Kureyon stripe and Patons 100% merino
- Another scarf with all my scrap yarn
- Some pattern (any ideas?) with handspun hand-dyed wool

And then two needlepoint projects.

Yes, I'm Lavender Stripes, and I'm addicted to knitting
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  9:24:42 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Despite the above listings, I couldn't resist ordering the Cheryl Schaefer yarn (silk and wool) for a Jean Frost jacket - Sanquar. It's a handpainted yarn running from fushcia to navy, done in a check pattern on a cream colored background. Really gorgeous. Has anyone knitted anything from her book? Looks like a great way to make a dent in my stash, which seems to be taking on a life of its own!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?