Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Etiquette in Classes / Meetings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

yarnspin
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  2:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnspin's Homepage Send yarnspin a Private Message
Is there a consensus out there about the etiquette of knitting in classes or meetings? I'm in a class of about 25 people, and I'd like to knit in there. I'm a quiet knitter, so the noise shouldn't be a problem. Should I ask the teacher? Or should I just go for it? Any thoughts? Any experiences I can learn from?
Thanks!

Yarnspin
yarnspin.blogspot.com

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message
I would ask the teacher if it is okay that you can.
Claire
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  4:06:39 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Be sure to let the instructer know that there are studies that show knitting helps increase our ability to listen and retention of what we hear.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I'd just do it, and stop if anyone has any objections.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 24 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  5:26:23 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i would ask the teacher. but do point out that you pay better attention when your hands are occupied. i knit at work when it's not busy season, right through phone calls, and my supervisors don't even know it unless i tell them! just know when you need to put it down (i will knit during an order, but a service issue gets the knitting put down)
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  7:32:39 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
In a class that small I would definitley ask and explain. I knit in a large meeting but there are 400 people there and I doubt I'm noticed. It's better than falling asleep like some people do.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  9:02:59 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
I'd say ask the instructor. Before I was a knitter, I used to think it was rude to knit in class. I likened to reading while in class; something that would divide your attention. So, better to make sure the teacher understands that it does not distract your attention from the instruction, and doesn't mind.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  05:59:09 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
You might like to read Perri Klass's new book, "Two Sweaters for My Father."

It's a collection of essays, but a lot of it deals with her need to knit in meetings, both as a med student and now as a doctor and teacher, and how she deals with it, how people react to her.

I had read some of the essays before, but most were new to me, and I really enjoyed the book. A good Christmas present.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  07:47:36 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
From the teacher perspective I would say ask. I used to get really irritated when students doodled in class when I was trying to get information to them. Then I realized that I do the same thing and am able to concentrate better when my hands are busy. However, I was called on the carpet recently for knitting during breaks at an inservice. I made sure that when the presentation was going on I was taking notes, but when we had breaks I would pick up my knitting. It evidentially made one of the administrators unhappy and they did not have the courtesy to talk to me themselves, but delegated it to someone who wasn't even at that meeting.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I think it could be potentially distracting for other students in the class as well. If someone decided to start polishing silverware next to me in class, I'd be pretty distracted by it. While this example may sound absurd to us, I use it because non-knitters would probably see knitting as just as peculiar and out-of-place. Even if it does help with concentration, I would never knit in a class out of respect for both the teacher and the other students. That's why I am a copious note-taker--not because I will necessarily understand or study what I wrote later, but because it helps me process the information to be actively doing something.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
Personally, I wouldn't knit in classes or meetings because I would feel that the teacher/supervisor would think I was rude and inattentive. However, I'm always itching to knit in these situations and spend much of my time thinking about what project to pick up as soon as I get home. I think it would be polite to ask so as not to offend the instructor and let them know from the get-go that you are serious about the class and that knitting helps you during the learning process.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Gotta say I agree with Rachel, Donna and Anna... It's one thing if the group is very informal, and each of them know you well, or large and it wouldn't get noticed at all, but in most instances I would say it could be perceived as being rude, even if it's not your intention. I knit at work, but only when I'm alone in my office, and rarely do others see it. I wouldn't do it in a meeting because non-knitters tend to think it takes a lot of focus on the knitting (which it can) and they would perceive that I wasn't paying attention.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:50:27 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
When I knit in public, which is often - I always notice people watching me. In that way, it may be seen as distracting. Could you sit in the back to avoid that?
Go to Top of Page

toucanknit1
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  7:33:40 PM  Show Profile Send toucanknit1 a Private Message
The managers in my office allow us to knit or crochet during our twice monthly staff meetings, unless we have a guest speaker.

Six of the twenty two staff members who attend knit and/or crochet and those who don't knit or crochet are so used to the rest of us enjoying our hobby at breaks and lunch that it isn't a distraction. Two of the six have picked up their needles after years away from knitting, after seeing the four of us "regulars" knit.
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  05:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message
As a teacher, it used to bug me when I'm trying to get through a lesson and my students are doodling, but I now realize that many people need to keep moving in order to pay attention. However, I don't think it is appropriate to knit at a meeting. I'd love to do it, and I often will knit during my planning time at school, but I don't think it would send a positive message to whoever is speaking. Unfortunately, inservice days are pretty much a waste, and it would be nice to get something constructive done - like a few UFOs! So, my opinion is don't do it.

A

http://mebylis.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:09:30 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
i find that people who are, say, over 60, aren't distracted when I knit in a meeting or class. Younger ones - say, college students - don't appear to be, either. It's the folks in between, the age group I'm just now leaving, who are usually the ones standing up talking that seem distracted. But maybe it's just because they may have more of a view. I ALWAYS have mindless knitting for such things, a sock that doesn't need shaping at that point, usually. And it's always small, so there isn't a bright red baby afghan spread out on my lap or table.

For what it's worth,

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I always have knitting for breaks during inservices, but I have made sure to explain to whoever is responsible for the meeting that I will not knit during the presentations. Most of the administrators at my school know that knitting keeps me still and quiet. I trying not to be offensive by fidgeting.

Although, I have to admit that I sneaked a few rows on a sock Monday, but I was in a large group and the speaker could not see me. She also was speaking on a subject that I have heard too many times - so I gave in to temptation.

I knit at the front of my classes while waiting for students to finish assignments also. They might watch for a few minutes the first time, but then they get used to it and just ignore me. I justify this because we are knitting beanies to send to a former student currently in Iraq.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
I have knit before in training classes, and have had the speaker approach me later to find out what I was doing. I usually make the comment about worrying that people will think I am not paying attention, but that it helps me do so. Several speakers have actually commented that they thought that until they realized that my level of participation was one of the highest in the audience.

I would gauge the approach on the environment, and the people's reactions. I tend to think of the saying...."it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

Besides better the click of needles than the chime of cell phones, PDAs and other devices which is way more distracting.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

pecorino
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit pecorino's Homepage Send pecorino a Private Message

I'm a beginner knitter, but I tend to take a small project with me everywhere I go. It seems that the polite thing would be to ask the teacher or presenter if she has a problem with knitting during the lecture.
My therapist told me that it wasn't acceptable during our therapy sessions.... eventually I realized the knitting was better for me than she was.
I must admit that I did not ask permission of the Libertarian Vice-Presidential candidate when he came to town last October. A friend spotted me in a newspaper photograph of the event (crowd picture) and asked, with a mixture of curiousity and horror, "Were you knitting during his speech?". Umm, yes, I was...

~Amy
Go to Top of Page

claudiam
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit claudiam's Homepage Send claudiam a Private Message
Like Englistich, (I Hope that was spelled right) I knit in class, and I knit in meetings. I knit in the doctor's office. I can't stand to have my hands unoccupied. I spend some time during the day knitting. When I don't knit I'm unhappy. I have not asked permission to knit, most people are fascinated, the principle doesn't say anything and they love the stuff I knit.

Claudiam
Go to Top of Page

Notorius_MEG
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Notorius_MEG a Yahoo! Message Send Notorius_MEG a Private Message
"My therapist told me that it wasn't acceptable during our therapy sessions.... eventually I realized the knitting was better for me than she was."

::giggle:: My fiance' and I have decided that knitting is just as good as therapy, even better in some respects (like having something to show for it at the end) and even with the price of yarn, less expensive.

Now to figure out how to claim it from my health care spending account! hehehehehe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?