Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Best cast-on for socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NitKnit
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:51:47 PM  Show Profile Send NitKnit a Private Message
I'm relatively new to sock knitting and wanted some opinions about the best cast on to use. I use a cable cast-on for most things, but it gives my socks a "frilly" edge. Any suggestions?

Anna

KAC
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:23:59 AM  Show Profile Send KAC a Private Message
For socks (or anything that needs an elastic edge), the German Twisted Cast-on is the best one I've found. It takes a minute to learn, but I use it a *lot* now.

Here's a website with picture directions:
http://knitting.about.com/library/bltgcaston.htm

Kim
http://sanityknit.blogspot.com/
The largest room in the world is the room for improvement
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  07:56:42 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I learn every new cast on I come across but I always go back to the basic double tailed cast on but with a difference. I think my cast on looks neater if I pull the yarn really tight when I make it so I cast on over two needles the same size as I am going to use to knit the garment. When I start knitting this cast on looks too big, but after I have knit an inch or two, I pick up 2 to 3 inch sections of it and stretch them out. The stitches even out, look great and the cast on has never been too tight for anything including socks, necklines, etc. It seems to have the same stretch as the rest of the garment.

fran
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I prefer the Old Norweigen cast on for socks. There's instructions for it in the back of Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I find it to be very neat, strong and elastic.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:22:36 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I use the cable cast on and it creates a lovely, firm edge with just enough give.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
I'm partial to a tubular cast on for cuff down socks. Great stretch and a neat edge.
http://www.flor.freeservers.com/tips2.htm

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  11:32:19 AM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by klfrazier

I prefer the Old Norweigen cast on for socks. There's instructions for it in the back of Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I find it to be very neat, strong and elastic.

Kristin

How is the Norgweigen different than the long tail cast-on? I need to see it motion I think to understand .

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Normally I use the same method as Fran, that's how I was taught but I just tried the tubular CO and I thought all was going well, I liked how it looked and I got excited like a small child and ripped out the crocheted chain after knitting a few rows and found out that the sock unraveled with it. What did I do wrong? No clue, did I miss a step?

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

NitKnit
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  1:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send NitKnit a Private Message
WOW!

Thanks for all the great info!
I'm going straight home from work and play with each of these cast-ons.
Some one should put together a collaboration of every cast-on known! Now that would be a book.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  9:26:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NitKnit

WOW!

Thanks for all the great info!
I'm going straight home from work and play with each of these cast-ons.
Some one should put together a collaboration of every cast-on known! Now that would be a book.

Anna

Don't forget cast-offs. There are probably just as amny of those!

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth