Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 On a roll! New skills!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
I temporarily abandoned the sweater I've been working on, and tried some new techniques (and had a small yarn binge, too, LOL!) In the last two days, I've:
-made I cord for the first time
-figured out several kinds of increases and decreases while making Kate Gilbert's "Gifted" mittens (and fallen in love with DB Cashmerino yarn, much to DH's chagrin!)
-I started my first felting project - a small bag with handles (I cord) and a scalloped top. This involved picking up stitches AND knitting in the round,which I'd never tried before, and I can't wait to finish and felt it! I used raspberry and pink yarn, and it is already known as my Valentine bag, LOL.
So, obviously I'm a newish knitter (three or four years of knitting, but mostly simple projects so far.)
What's the last "new" knitting skill you tried? How did it go?

Somewhere the future President of the United States is sitting in a classroom. We hope she has a good teacher.

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I justified my two newest project starts by saying that they are new techniques! I made a light blue, mitered square tote (with three squares, the sides, and the i-cord handle MIA), and a baby blanket with a double knit panel in the middle. I also made my first sweater recently!

And this year, I want to try entrelac and sock knitting.

<Timeloop: and I also made two needle mittens, and my first ever hat!>
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:46:36 AM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I learned how to do cables this past weekend and am knitting a scarf with yarn leftover from a Christmas scarf I made for my stepson. It is seed stitch with a 6 st/6 row back-twist cable running down the middle of it.

*~*Lori*~*

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I hope to learn to make a sweater that has the same gauge as my swatch! :-j

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:01:55 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
After learning how to knit socks on 2 circs, I finally tried DPNs for the first time. Yea! Another thing that no longer intimidates me!
I am currently starting on my first pair of mittens--my DS asked for some, so how can I turn him down?

~Rebecca

"Divide your life into 10-minute increments, then see to it that you waste as few of them as possible"
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:43:22 AM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
Congratutlations everyone !

This past weekend I picked up stitches *without* a crochet hook for the first time. This was done along a sock heel gusset and worked out fine on those tiny needles. On my sweaters, I'll probably still pickup stitches with my hook, but I'm okay with that.

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Kellann
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kellann's Homepage  Send Kellann a Yahoo! Message Send Kellann a Private Message
I am just now starting to branch from scarves to bags and hats. My next project is to make a felted bag...I can't wait! I am waiting for a needle order to come in.. Doesn't the mail seem like it is taking forever when you are waiting for something really cool?!?!

Kellann

"Get those needles movin' ladies and gents!"
www.kellannknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sanesi
Chatty Knitter

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send sanesi a Private Message
I'm finishing up a striped baby blanket that taught me to change colors and I'm trying to figure out picking up stitches as we speak. Next is a sweater for me so there will be new skills there too - increase, decrease, blocking, finishing... Next: socks and DPN!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  1:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
This is so inspiring, everybody! Keep 'em coming - your enthusiasm is infectious.

Ah yes, Kellann - it's one of those laws of physics they rarely talk about. Whenever you're expecting something in the mail, time actually slows.

And Lisa, here's the funny thing - this fall I finally tried picking up stitches with a crochet hook. I'd never done it that way, I'd always used the needles. So one person's "old" technique can be another person's new technique.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

kelty3r
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile Send kelty3r a Private Message
I recently became cable crazy and I've started a project in which I will need to use stitch markers and pick up stitches. I'm really motivated now, after reading this thread.

Miss Saigon rules
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  2:34:59 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Congrats to all. I did my first cable in December, and just finished my first top-down hat with an I-cord on top (a first) and a roll brim (a first). I am currently working on my first felted project, a tote. Soon I will be putting mosaic knitting into a real piece for the first time (I've been practicing).

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  3:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
I'm working on my first sweater right now. It's for my 17 month old niece. It's a top down raglan cardigan with the sleeves knit in the round so they wouldn't have to be sewn. It's so much fun learning new stuff. It makes me feel fearless when it comes to knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  4:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
When I got my "Vogue Knitting" book years ago (when it first came out), I basically went through the whole thing and tried swatches of almost every new technique--cables, lace, intarsia, short rows--pretty much everything. It was fun, but it also got me ready for when I'd come across them in "real life."

I only just knitted my first cabled sweater last year (my first love was Scandinavian/fair isle color patterns), and only started making socks last winter. I'd done one lace project (a square shawl but in worsted weight yarn), but have gone back to that, now, too.

Deb in NJ

Deb in NJ

Currently knitting:
Rowan "Elfin" sweater: Back is done, working on the cardigan fronts (both together). Using Rowan's Felted Tweed yarn
And, learning to spin!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I like this thread - it really got me to thinking. I have never tried mosaic knitting although I have done colorwork in stripes, intarsia and fair isle. So my next project, OK my next pair of socks, will have mosaic knitting at least on the cuffs.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
This yr I am doing felted totes, gloves, and a lacey shawl. I have never done any of these projects before so this is a learning yr for me.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  8:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
I just cast on for my first lace scarf. In baby cashmere. Never knitted with yarn that fine. Sort of scary. I think only bamboo needles will make this possible.
Wonderful thread

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:27:16 PM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I taught myself to knit continental, still practicing that one! I knit stuff with lace for the first time. I want to try socks (never wanted to before), mittens (ditto), cables. And I want to felt myself a yoga bag.
Go to Top of Page

Kellann
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  11:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kellann's Homepage  Send Kellann a Yahoo! Message Send Kellann a Private Message
Okay I have changed my mind about no more scarves (I had promised myself I would go on to bigger and better things). My mom just got this book...not sure of the name but I think it is Vogue something and there is the cutiest white scarf made out of soft kid with crochet flowers around the bottom....I am so there!!! I have to do it!

Kellann*
*off to buy more yarn!

"Get those needles movin' ladies and gents!"
www.kellannknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  07:07:38 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Oh, let me add that I decided to do crochet colorwork, too. There's a scarf in the Scarf Style book that's calling to me. It also is a self-fringing scarf, and I haven't tried that before.

Wendy
An act of human kindness once set in motion endures forever.
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
This is a fun thread.
I want to do intarsia, so I'm making with the 8-Ball tea cozy in SnB Nation.
I'm also using some "found" yarn (from a frogged sweater that never fit right) to make a cardi, my first adult sized one.
And after "browsing" some knitting mags at Barnes and Noble, I think I'm going to try shadow knitting -- in a washcloth.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:55:17 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
After I finish a sweater this weekend, I am starting toe-up socks for the first time. I made a poncho for my niece and after consulting with my guild decided that it would be too small as it was. I figured out how to increase the size without frogging it by using the cable pattern to add 3.5 inches at each seam! I also figured out the poncho pattern from a Lord & Taylor newspaper ad for ponchos. I've learned more than I thought lately.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by