Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 On a roll! New skills!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  1:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I tried entrelac...and loved it. I'm also going to start on a lace shawl. And I'm getting up the nerve to try a really simple fair isle project.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:29:27 PM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message
This is definitely a learning year for me too, but I think they've really all been that way anyway.

I just finished my first felted item (Meema's Marsupial Tote), I'm learning lace with the Flower Basket Shawl, and I'm working my first cables into a small purse. I've been busy! I like to think that almost everything I work on teaches me something new, even if I'm just trying out a new way to cast off! :)

Melissa
http://caramelknits.blogspot.com/

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

Kalikat
Chatty Knitter

137 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile Send Kalikat a Private Message
I've recently become interested in felting. I don't have any paticular project going. I'm just having fun knitting up swatches and then seeing what happens in the wash!

Kat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:48:44 PM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
I'm working on my first lace shawl - It feels like I'm knitting with cobwebs - but I did finally get my hands to relax - Only problem is ...I have to wear those darned "old lady" magnifying glasses at their strongest to see what I'm doing and then I can't wear my regular glasses I need for the directions - my bifocals aren't strong enough. (Hmmm maybe the "old lady" is appropriate?)

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

Kirstie7965
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile Send Kirstie7965 a Private Message
My "new skills to learn" this month include cables and socks. My sock yarn arrived today - now I just need the correct size DPNs! I plan on learning my cable skills by knitting up these beautiful Natalya fingerless gloves:

http://savannahchik.typepad.com/patterns/natalya.pdf

I may or may not do the fingers but at least I'll learn a new skill!! Of course, to match these beautiful fingerless gloves, I may have to knit up a matching hat and scarf...........funny how one project multiplies!!!

Kirstie, Northeast CT

My blog: http://knitmenagerie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message
I've only been knitting for about 6 months, so everything is a new skill for me. The last new thing I attempted was knitting Fuzzy Feet - felted socks. I got to learn how to knit a sock (on DPNs), but any potential irregularities are felted away! I think my next new thing will be a sweater.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Mom4Morgan@triad.rr.com

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:12:11 PM  Show Profile Send Mom4Morgan@triad.rr.com a Private Message
I joined my first knit a long. We are making the Color on Color Scarf, it has 48 different colors and numerous textures and embleslishments, I am half way through and have learn the skill of patience (not a simple matter) and the excitement of seeing the next color combinations. The skill I hope to master when I am finished, is picking colors outside of my normal range.
Go to Top of Page

Jenknitter
Chatty Knitter

164 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send Jenknitter a Private Message
I am currently knitting Mariah from Knitty. This is my first time with cables _and_ charts! Later in the month, I will be taking a class to make a Fair Isle hat. I can't wait!

http://jenknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message
I have been knitting for a couple of years, but last night, I completed my first sweater and today I am wearing it, to many compliments!! I have resolved to complete the 8 other I have near completion. I am notorious for getting all but the last sleeve, collar or hood done and moving on to another project, seduced by a new yarn, a color progression or nifty cables. I have scarves and socks galore and tend to finish those just fine, but sweaters get added to the pile, almost finished, but not quite. When I pick them up again, I have to remember where I left off and the idiosyncrasies of the pattern.....it would be son much easier to just work through until done. I never start a book I don't finish and read 2-3 week, but I can't seem to break this habit with sweaters. Any advice?

Debra, enthusiastically!
Go to Top of Page

Snowcat
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile Send Snowcat a Private Message
Wow!! I am so impressed with the new skills and the plans on learning new skills. Last year I learned how to felt and got comfortable with knitting with 2 plus fibers at once. This year, I want to do color work. I have a fabulous sweater pattern that is blue with a grey and white pattern on the yoke, cuffs, and tops of the sleeves. I can't wait until I get it to a point where I need to sit at my knit shop and have the ladies there walk me through my first row of color changes. Once I get that under control, I found a pattern for a teddy bear sweater (finally) that has an argile pattern on the front. My daughter is ready to go and pick out the yarns for the bear sweater. I've created a future knitter.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  3:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
I've got yarn for a fair isle cardigan waiting, but after that I want to design my first sweater with cables. I've made up my other sweater patterns, but have never done cables.

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
Last night I spit spliced 2 ends for the first time when I came upon an unexpected knot - fabulous! The new techniques I plan to work on this year is fair isle (cardigan), felting (slippers) and very soon toe-up socks.

quote:
I am notorious for getting all but the last sleeve, collar or hood done and moving on to another project, seduced by a new yarn, a color progression or nifty cables... I never start a book I don't finish and read 2-3 week, but I can't seem to break this habit with sweaters. Any advice?

What works for me is to start a new sweater, or early into a WIP when it comes time for me to seam. I complete them in a timely matter that way. The other thing is what many others do here is to knit one or both sleeves first. Knitting from the top down helps to speed things up too.

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

contrary1
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  4:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit contrary1's Homepage Send contrary1 a Private Message
What a great thread........ I've almost finished my 2nd sock using the Fixation from Cascade (cotton & spandex)What a great sock yarn! Got back into cables & lace patterns with this sock.
I'm going to cast on tonight with my first baby alpaca yarn. Nothing special about the pattern, but my first time using yarn this terrific.
Finishing up a sweater that used many many provisional cast on's. These have me wondering why the designer had them in the pattern. I can think of easier ways to do the same thing.
I'm going to attempt toe up socks and a small entrelac project next....I love lining up the upcoming projects!!
Also heavy into freeform crochet right now, have a piece almost done that I'm going to attach to a knitted, felted market bag.

Sue from Country Yarns
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
This is so inspiring! This year I am going to concentrate on learning some kind of colorwork -- on socks, or a hat at first, then I'll do something larger. I would like to be more confident using color techniques. I have a whole lot of elann's solid color sock yarn on the way as I write, so that's where I'll start.

Jane

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  5:13:49 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I just placed an order (from Elann, of course!) for five different colors of sock yarn, and I'm going to learn some striping and intarsia on Tiptoe through the Tulips socks from knitty.com. Can't wait to start those!

Today I made my first box pleats on a coat I'm knitting for my niece, and they came out fabulously! Only required one row of unknitting before I got it right.

But my big project this year is working with colors. And I've been teaching my sister to knit, and she's taken to it like a duck to water :) Can't wait to see what else she's going to learn.

Melissa

Melissa

Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. ~ Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  5:39:09 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I definitely want to try my hand at knitting socks this year; I meant to try some last year, and just never got around to it.There are a couple of sock patterns in one of my (Oz) Creative Knitting mags, which look fairly easy.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  6:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've been knitting for a year and a half, so almost everything is new to me. I also get bored easily, so I actually look for projects that have something new for me. In the past year, I've learned: double knitting, illusion knitting, entrelac, cables, reading charts, lace. felting, short rows. I've learned how to adjust patterns so that I can use any yarn I want (or actually happen to have).

What I'd like to pick up is seaming and duplicate st. I've never been very good with sewing needles, so these will reguire real effort from me.

Oh, I've also learned to notate the patterns I make up, so I can actually [b]write[/b[ patterns, not just do them.

I never decide against a pattern on the basis of it being too difficult. I know that if it's important enough to me, I'll be able to learn it. Except for patience. I can't seem to acquire the ability to work on a project that's going to drag on for months and months.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  6:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Since New Year's weekend I've knitted three socks using a version of the spiral tube pattern and Magic Loop and have the 4th sock started .... have to hurry up and finish it as I'm tired of doing the laundry every night so I can wear my socks again! Next I want to try fitted socks, probably cuff down first then a pair toe up ... I rarely do exactly the same thing twice, even the 2 pair tube socks are different weights of yarn and different size needles.

other than socks, I'm just idling along dreaming about the coming year's knit gifts to family and friends. I used dpns for a couple Christmas projects and while they seemed to work ok for one of the stocking caps, I was much happier with the caps I did on circular needles. and I absolutely hated using them for a pencil case but my daughter said she liked the one I did on dpns better than the one I did on single points & seamed.

oh, and I've always used the long tail cast on until the last couple months when I've started experimenting with some of the others but the long tail is just so natural and fast I tend to keep going back to it.
Go to Top of Page

Purls Girl
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  7:45:55 PM  Show Profile Send Purls Girl a Private Message
Those of you new to cables-congratulations!! They appear "hard" and intimidate new knitters, but mastering them adds the dimension of texture to everything you do.

I love cables and I working on learning to do cables & lace in Mission Falls' book Simple, the Bay Tank. Has anyone made this little beauty in cotton? THe swatching seemed right, but the size looks big now that I have completed the first pattern rows. Has anyone had the same experience?
font=Georgia][/font=Georgia]
Go to Top of Page

elk24@cornell.edu
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  7:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send elk24@cornell.edu a Private Message
I am using size 0 needles for the first time--boy do they slow down progress. Even though I usually hate using really big needles, I had to start a 'zone out' project using size 15s just to give my hands a chance to recover from such itsy bitsy needles. I hope it's worth it in the end!

Emily
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.