Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 On a roll! New skills!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  9:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I finally got to feel some alpaca that did not have wool mixed in with it (a poncho that belongs to my granddaughter) and I didn't break out. Now I'm dreaming dreams of knitting with it and even making something felted. When, oh when will that Social Security check get here? I know, the fourth Wednesday of the month but that's so far away.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I have tried lace for the first time in the last couple of months and making up my own designs (simple ones, based on other patterns).

Also knitting an adult size garment in 4ply - not as bad as I thought it would be and I love the look of the finer wool.

Wen

2004 stats: 23 FO, 7 WIP, 5 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

nikipoo
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  05:02:16 AM  Show Profile Send nikipoo a Private Message
Yesterday I attempted double knitting. There isn't a lot of info on the web about it and so I was nervous to try, but if it didn't work, I would be no worse off right? Anyway, much to my surprise and delight it did work and now I see why there isn't a lot of info--there isn't a lot to it; it's almost just like 1x1 ribbing. On the agenda is a graduated I-cord (a small, long funnel) I want to make an elephant finger puppet and use that for the trunk.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks--but we're not dogs.
Go to Top of Page

alpacaknitter
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  06:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacaknitter's Homepage Send alpacaknitter a Private Message
I recently joined the Market Squares Bag knitalong so my new technique will be entrelac. I did practice last week with some scrap yarn just to get a feel for how it's done. Now on to the actual project. Wish me luck.

Risė
Alpacaknitter

Visit my knitting BLOG:
http://knittingalpacas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bealynn1949@yahoo.com

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send bealynn1949@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have been knitting for 20+ years and still love to do new things. I felted for the first time last year -slippers that I love- and made six pairs as Christmas gifts. I want to make a felt hat this year, red, of course. I will be taking a "Magic Moebius" class later this month. After I finish the three-year-old afghan (yes, I just let it sit for a while) I have a kit to make a teddy bear. Incentive. Other than the felted hat and moebius, I have nothing new lined up for this year, but that simply means I haven't seen, heard, or read about something new (to me)that strikes me. I will try anything.

Happy Knitting.

bealynn
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  07:39:07 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
What an inspiring thread! I am finishing two Christmas presents that are new-to-me techniques. A top down hat in 1x1 rib that I did from BW's book. I just knit the turning row and will change to blue. I also knit a top-down hat for dd in st st and finished in contrasting i-cord. She wants ear flaps and I'm mulling over how to make them as wind-proof as possible.

Future projects include felted socks in my new fuzzy pink Christmas yarn; a Fair Isle hat kit that I just received from Patternworks and more knitting cables without cable needles.

Melanie in Indiana, where it has FINALLY stopped raining and the sun has come out!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

jjenkins@wiley.com

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send jjenkins@wiley.com a Private Message
Well, after an unfortunate intarsia disaster on what was supposed to be a Christmas gift this year -- I'm absolutely resolved to master my colorwork skills in 2005!
Go to Top of Page

Vivette
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile Send Vivette a Private Message
I'm working on corrugated ribbing, and want to improve my colorwork skills.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I figured out how to re-twist a cable that I twisted in the wrong direction without having to frog! Take a deep breath, drop the offending stitches down to where the problem started, and carefully re-loop (word?) them back up with a crochet hook. I didn't even have a panic attack, nervous break down, or use more than 2 or 3 swear words! A record!
Go to Top of Page

nashc7@msn.com

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:33:21 AM  Show Profile Send nashc7@msn.com a Private Message
I am working on a Fair Isle sweater for myself. It uses Shetland Wool and contains 8 different shades of browns/tans/black.
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:45:06 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
Okay, this past year I did some lace work, toe up socks on 2 circulars, finished my cabled sweater and have continued to be a Felt-A- Holic.
I have looked at shadow knitting with interest but am definitely going to tackle Fair Isle. Unfortunately the LYS class for that is not until March. I am assuming that with this class it will possibly introduce me to continental knitting....am I right on that??
That gives me plenty of time to finsih up a few projects and knit an item or two for myself.....That is my goal this year: ME!!!

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

brulee305@msn.com

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  2:31:37 PM  Show Profile Send brulee305@msn.com a Private Message
Hi Everyone, I thought I was an experienced knitter until I started reading what everyone is doing. I have been knitting for about 40 years off and on but this year has been a very active one for me. Just recently I saw an article about bead knitting or knitting with beads and it really got to me. I am now working on my first project...an amulet bag. Using crochet cotton and #1 needles (it should have been #0000) and seed beeds is very tedious. I sent for a book and I just need to connect with someone who knows what they are doing. If anyone out there is experienced in this please let me know. Sonia
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  2:54:11 PM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message
Thanks Lisa in Seattle! I will try your suggestion for knitting the sleeves first, or a couple of your other ideas to get myself to FINISH. I picked up another WIP last night instead of starting a new one after finally finishing my first sweater. Thanks again!

Debra

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

Kirstie7965
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile Send Kirstie7965 a Private Message
I've done it!!!! I've learned how to knit cables and I've learned the Magic Loop method!!! Now I just have to learn how to do socks and then I can add something new to my "To Learn" list!!! I know this is wrong but I just feel SOOOOOO proud of myself!!!!

Kirstie, Northeast CT

My blog: http://knitmenagerie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goodolmary@tds.net

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  10:25:11 AM  Show Profile Send goodolmary@tds.net a Private Message
I just finished my first scarf. My first project ever. My knitting teacher, Roberta, suggested a hat that has all the stitches in it and felted, too. I can't decide on red (Red Hat Society) or a cobbblestone design yarn I long for. I spin but not yet good enough for my knitting projects.:)
Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  12:10:46 PM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
This year I really want to learn how to do twinned knitting - the scandinavian method that uses two balls at once. I tried knitting with two yarns of the same colour to make mitts, so that you are always crossing yarns with every other stitch and boy were those mitts nice and warm! Anyone else looking to try twinned knitting?

I'm also hoping to try my first top down sweater for my 12 year old son (so I can keep lengthening the sleeves and body, in case of a growth spurt). Oh yes, toe up socks are on the menu too!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  12:11:11 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kirstie7965

I've done it!!!! I've learned how to knit cables and I've learned the Magic Loop method!!! Now I just have to learn how to do socks and then I can add something new to my "To Learn" list!!! I know this is wrong but I just feel SOOOOOO proud of myself!!!!

Kirstie, Northeast CT

Why is it wrong to feel proud of yourself? I think it's wonderful. And congratulations!

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

martinahenke@gmail.com

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile Send martinahenke@gmail.com a Private Message
My current new skills attempts include knittingbeads intosocks and knitting two socks on a single circular needle at the same time. A good brain buster, bu it's going well!

Martina in Ak
Go to Top of Page

ktime
New Pal

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ktime's Homepage Send ktime a Private Message
Yesterday I used a Russian join in the Irish hiking scarf I'm knitting, (the join is here http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/Russian_Join.html). I thought it was pretty cool, so I went and showed my mum and grandmother, who were both suitably impressed.

My big plan for this year is to go to spinning classes though - can't wait!!

My blog -> http://knittingonthenet.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirstie7965
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  9:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send Kirstie7965 a Private Message
SerMom - THANK YOU!!!!

Kirstie, Northeast CT

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth