Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many Knitting magazines ARE there?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
I have always loved magazines and when I started knitting of course I had to pick up every knitting magazine I could find, well, I still love them and can't resist anything related to knitting, but it seems like there are so many! What are your favorites? Here is what I have found:
Vogue Knitting International, (I just picked up the Winter issue yesterday)
Interweave Knits
Knitters
INKnitters
Cast-On
Knit-it
Knit.1
Family Circle Easy Knitting
Womens Day Quick and Easy Knitting and Crochet
Creative Knitting
Did I leave any out?

What do you like?
I seldom make anything from the patterns in them, but love the articles and picture!
Erin

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  08:49:21 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Rowan
Rebecca
There are 2 Creative Knitting mags--one US (formerly Knitting Digest?) and one from Australia. Personally, I think both are pretty bland.)

I like IK, VK, Rowan and Rebecca the best.

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Rowan also has a "hip knitter" magazine called R.2 - same idea as Knit.1 from VK. I haven't seen it in person yet.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
Where do you buy Rowan? I have never seen that one. Is Rebecca really worth $16.00?
Thanks!
Erin
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message
Phildar
Filati (Lana Grossa)
Drops (Garnstudio)
Rebecca

Evelyn

KnittyNoddy
www.knitty-noddy.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ErinAmy

Where do you buy Rowan? I have never seen that one. Is Rebecca really worth $16.00?
Thanks!
Erin

Rebecca is really more of a pattern book put out by GGH yarns, but I would personally say yes! There are always at least 3 to 5 (!) patterns I would want to make/wear in every issue, which is well more than I could say for most magazines. Think of it more like you would buying a pattern book put out by other yarn companies--the latest Jo Sharp book, the latest Debbie Bliss Book, etc. It's comparable in price to these. Maybe you wouldn't buy every issue, but it's definitely worth looking for at your LYS.

Warning, though--their sizing is a little on the, er, waifish side. I seem to often need the largest sizes of their patterns, and I'm usually a medium.

Rowan is only available at yarn shops, and usually about $20 an issue. Again, see above.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  12:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
To me, Phildar, Filati, Drops and Rebecca aren't really magazines but pattern books. Rowan is a pattern book with articles and regular features more like VK or IK or whatever.

I have a membership with Rowan - I get two books a year plus a kit and notice of clearance sales. It's worth it to me (same cost as the cover price of their magazines) because I really like their patterns.

As for Rebecca, like any of the others, if you love the patterns, it's worth the price.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  1:11:06 PM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message
Don't forget Knit 'N Style. Most of their patterns are from yarn companies own publications, and in the earlier issues a good many looked "homemade" (fit issues), but I believe they have improved and they have great articles on new yarns and utilizing your computer for knit design.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
Ultimate Knitting is put out by the Bond knitting machine people and has patterns that can be worked by hand or by machine.
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  4:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
Oh My Goodness - I just realized that you have listed 10 magazines and I have subscribed to seven of them and have purchased the other three at the store. I think I need to get a grip on my magazine habit.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  8:16:10 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

There used to be a knitting magazine called Sandra.

I think it was from the UK.

I suppose it would be in the category of patterns only though.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
Sandra is still around....specially in SA but Ive seen it here as well. Also a Burda nitting Mag

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
The newsagent I go to has Sandra, VK international and the new VK one in addition to Creative Knitting. They also have the latest Jo Sharp book in the knitting magazines.

Wen

2005 stats: 1 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Knitty1
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  08:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitty1's Homepage Send Knitty1 a Private Message
Erin,
I get Knit It,Easy Knitting,and I subscribe to Creative Knitting.Friends always give me thier old issues of other mags , so I have alot of different ones.

Amy
Go to Top of Page

continental knitter
Warming Up

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  12:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit continental knitter's Homepage Send continental knitter a Private Message

Wild Fibers Magazine is not strictly knittng... but it always has at least one knitting pattern

The articles run the whole gamut of "fiber-related," from raising the animals, spinning, and yes, knitting.

And there is always a cute fiber producing animal on the cover :-)

Blessings,
Susan
http://www.SpinBlessing.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by