Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Organized my books!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
It's snowing madly today and I am staying in.

I took all my knitting boks off my shelves and tried to find the ones scattered around the house. I put them in piles in the hall according to what type of book they are:
  • Collections of essays
  • Technique books
  • Stitch pattern libraries
  • Pattern books

Then I reshelved them according to category and alphabetically by title within the category. As I did it I also entered them into my Needletrax database. Now I can export the list to my Palm to carry with me. I can also find books quickly instead of searching the shelves forever. I'm very pleased with myself!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2024 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Anita, as per your usual, the organization is wonderful. I have seen you at a couple of the MD S & W Festivals & last year you showed me your wish list for your future projects. Unbelievable! You are inspiring.
What you have in NJ is what we have here in Philly - stay warm ^..^
Martha
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I was just thinking I needed to do this too... Right now I have the piles in the bedroom, the piles in the livingroom, the pile on my "fiber station" and the many in various bags scattered about the house.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:54:16 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Come do minds.PLEASE

I tried this a few years ago.It didn't work too well for me.I have 10 binders (FULL) books galore.Magazines forget it.
I gave up.I think I only did a forth of paterns,and I keep buying more.IT"S EASIER that way.LOL!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
I'm talking BIG binders.The biggest you can buy.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message
This sounds like a good rainy day (or snowy day!) project. Anita, how many total books do you have?

Pauline, it sounds like you could use a filing cabinet! I use binders too, mostly for free Internet patterns I have printed out. I just started my 4th binder.

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Anita, do you want a job in my bookstore? Anybody who, like me, arranges their books alphabetically is an automatic must-hire!

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes
My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Do you know how many months I've been putting this off? And Marfa, that organization you saw at the festival was an aberration. I jsut came across that print out that I had and I must try to get myself together to do it again.

I had exported the yarns in Needletrax to a spreadsheet and added a column to write what I was going to do with them. The idea was to buy more patterns than yarn and try to match the yarn to a pattern. I do have quite a few yarns linked to one or 2 possible patterns. Now it's jsut a matter of actually knitting them. I tend to get excited about a new yarn (like the Jo Sharp I'm knitting now) and don't get started on the yarn I bought last year.

Oh, and it was a snowy day project. It was snowing like mad most of the day.

I have a file cabinet drawer for loose patterns and thin pattern books. I have folders for Afghans, etc (anything for the home), Baby items, Sweaters, Scarves and hats (includes shawls and wraps. The sweater file is bulging. I also have a file for catalogs. I need to go through that one and dump old catalogs.

Anita

Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  03:06:50 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
How do you file patterns aphabetically?

And Anita how can you be organizing,when you're here?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  04:39:59 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
Must be a New Year, wintertime thing to do. I too just finished organizing all my patterns, yarn, and supplies. My patterns are in binders in clear plastic protectors. I have a binder for each catagory, i.e.- ponchos, sweaters, hats & scarves, baby, Christmas, socks, etc. I started with the giant binders, but found them too heavy to lug around. Individual binders are much easier. It sure is nice being able to find what your are looking for! Homebody Knits
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  09:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
Anita, Do you hire out? I just moved and need someone as organized as you to do, the whole house including all my yarn and books. You did a great job and now I feel the pressure to do some serious organizing myself. I see a full time job for you in this business.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Janice,I asked first.With no resoonse.If you get one,I'll let you go first just as long as you send them over here after.I think you need them more since you've moved.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  4:24:42 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by luv2knit944

How do you file patterns aphabetically?

And Anita how can you be organizing,when you're here?

Pauline

Oh my patterns are definitley not alphabetized! I figure I do well just to get them in the right folder!

Anita

Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:16:18 PM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message
Anita,
Wish we had just a little of your snow. It's always a treat for us.
Great idea organizing the books by type. I can't stay organized. Also I get distracted looking at all the possiblities in the books and magazines. That's probably the best part of organizing-rediscovering patterns you want to make.
It's great to have the list on Needle Trax.
Have fun knitting and watching it snow.

Marie E in NC
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
Anita, Good work!!

I've been debating (for months) needletrax vs. knitable and I'm wondering how easy it is to move the needletrax info to the palm and vice versa? Do you have to have excel? does it eat up the memory on your palm? and can you import pics of your yarn/pattern into the database?

I am just about done with my yarn inventory. I got to the last two shelves and just stopped. I think I got overwhelmed with the USOs I already encounted that I'm afraid I might find more!

StephanieR
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all walk into a stich-n-beach...
Go to Top of Page

Mandy
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mandy's Homepage Send Mandy a Private Message
I have all of my patterns in plastic covers, and then put into binders. I don't have enough to alphabetize, but i do have enough to have three full binders seperated by baby, adult, and everything else.
it's fun being organized isn't it. Now if I could only get my knitting journal organized. It just takes to long, printing pictures, getting all my notes out.blah blah,but i can't wait, it will be nice when it's all done.
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Gee- I must be on the wrong forum!- I organize my knitting books by height!!!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  08:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
DH and I were just discussing the deplorable state of the overflowing books in my studio.
Every single room in this house is growning under massive amounts of books...
so now we decided to get little half bookcases to line the studio walls under the windows.
(which will all have to be moved when the soapstone stove gets installed this summer)

Ok now WHERE in NJ???? are you dear?
( can you folks tell I am homesick, and forgetful)
I think you told me, but I can't remember
vi
who is going to town for a tapestry needle....

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
Hi. It's interesting to find others doing the same winter task. My books are also somewhat organized by height as my shelves differ. I recently went through books as they were taking over our living space. I've kept only those we have not read, knitting and special cookbooks, travel books and those in foreign languages. Everything else was donated to the lbrary for their shelves or resale for fundraising. I have done this periodically as there would not be room for us. In December I organized my wool by color. My original goal this winter was to use up some stash as I am running out of storage space. I lost the battle. I have acquired more than I have knit. Time for another attempt at a yarn diet. Carol
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  3:51:08 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I spent yesterday gathering and listing my knitting books. I was amazed at how many books I had. This does not count the pattern booklets, leaflets and patterns I have printed off the inter-net. I think I need to go on a book diet not just a yarn diet. Of course my other books overflow all the bookcases in my house too. I've been considering donating a bunch to the women's prison which is about 10 miles from here - just need to get them together and give the prison a call. I too put my patterns in binders - with separate binders for each category. Another thread asked if people had knitted something from every book they had. If I did that I would not finish by the time I die. But they are so much fun to buy and read and wish. I always have told my nephew he will find yarn, books and collectible teddy bears when he has to clean out my house - but I could have worse ways to spend my money.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe