Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitter Down
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  6:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Dear friends,

I just found out this afternoon that one of the 'movers and shakers' of my local knitting guild (I am a new member) has been diagnosed with malignant melanoma -- on her thumb!! She had the thumb amputated to the first knuckle just before Christmas (so she can still knit!!) but it has now spread to her lymph nodes...confirmed by biopsy...

She was in charge of Lucy Neatby's visit for "Knitting Week" here in June...others have taken on her duties, but she and her family need Knitters' Prayers to get through this. Please...

Thanks!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by margblank@shaw.ca

Dear friends,

I just found out this afternoon that one of the 'movers and shakers' of my local knitting guild (I am a new member) has been diagnosed with malignant melanoma -- on her thumb!! She had the thumb amputated to the first knuckle just before Christmas (so she can still knit!!) but it has now spread to her lymph nodes...confirmed by biopsy...

She was in charge of Lucy Neatby's visit for "Knitting Week" here in June...others have taken on her duties, but she and her family need Knitters' Prayers to get through this. Please...

Thanks!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB

www.cancerguide.org Good advice here. Renal cancer and melanoma have a lot in common, in that the odds on both suck terribly, and they get the same treatment programs, because both are in the "throw everything but the kitchen sink - and maybe the sink" realm. Knitting and a healthy diet and meditation and prayers can really prolong life and improve the quality vastly.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:55:25 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
So sorry to hear that Marg - Melanoma is a terrible disease - My mom had it, lived through it and now I am on the yearly plan to make sure I am ok - Best wishes and many many good thoughts and prayers for your friend - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

addicted
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile Send addicted a Private Message
Marge-

oh dear! Will send her thoughts of strength & peace....

If the guild wants to help, there's a book called Share the CAre that talks about developing a Care Circle for someone who is seriously ill. It's a bit of a combined replacement for the church's Ladies Aid Society & the extended family - those support resources folks who still live in their home town have access to when something like this happens. If you want more info, PM me. I was part of a circle for our neighbor who died of ALS (Lou Gerhig's),

- Nancy in Berkeley

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
One Knitter's prayers headed that way right now.

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:37:03 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
I was also a Share the Care memeber if you have any questions - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
How dreadful for that poor woman! More prayers coming from my direction!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

knittygirl
Chatty Knitter

242 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  4:06:06 PM  Show Profile Send knittygirl a Private Message
That's terrible, I feel so bad for her! I will add her to my prayers.
Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Many prayers from this knitter too - I'm so sorry.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:32:51 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Ironically enough, my sister, who's dieing of breast cancer, lost her husband to melanoma about 15 yrs. ago.

My best wishes are also going your (her) way.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Sarah H
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  12:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah H's Homepage Send Sarah H a Private Message
Oh, I'm so, SO sorry to hear this news. I'm in chemotherapy now myself for lymphoma, so I can imagine some of what she's going through. I will definitely include her in my prayers. Ohe thing I've noticed in my own case is that I'm not nearly as good as I used to be at returning phone calls and thanking people for cards -- it's rude and I'm not proud of it, so I'm working on it (I just have so little energy these days!) Anyway, if you find that she gets less responsive, persevere, and know that she still very much appreciates your care and thoughts and calls....and visits, when she's feeling up to it. Hope I'm not projecting too much here -- I just know that I'm not alone in this psychological byproduct of cancer treatment.

My very best to her, and to you also -- you're a good friend.

Sarah

My Blog: http://journeytobabeland.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  12:22:15 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Dear Marg,

I am so sorry to here about your friend.

I will pray for her.

One of my really close girlfriends' daughter who is only 28 and has a 3 year old son has just been operated on for a Melanoma on her leg and its malignant.

She has more tests in 2 weeks.

My friend Helen is devestated.

My thoughts and prayers go to your friend.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  04:02:47 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Many prayers and hugs going your way to all.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  07:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and wishes. Alas, my understanding is that the cancer has spread internally...

Blessings,

Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Oh Marg! Unfortunately, once it's spread to the lymph system there really isn't a cure left. I hope she stops treatments and enjoys what little time left she has w/ her loved ones. The problems I see being in the Medical community is doctors and medical people push for treatments even when the disease is terminal. I could not see myself continuing my treatments once it's reached that level. I have a 35 year old patient who had a melanoma removed when he was 30 from his toe. He is now enrolled in hospice. He's spent his last few years running after one treatment to another. He told me the other day if he had realized he was going to die from this disease anyway he would have spent his time at home w/ his two young boys and his wife. Instead he went from cancer treatment to cancer treatment because no one was really honest w/ him regarding his prognosis. I think if I had a melanoma that was into deep tissue, pancreatic, or renal cancers there is no way I'd allow anyone ruining the little time I had left on this Earth. My Daddy had two Melanoma's but they were what they call in Situ. Just started without spreading at all. So now all of us have our yearly skin checks. If you have had more than a few sun burns and are over 25 please, please, please, make a yearly skin check w/ a dermatologist part of your annual check up. Marg, give your friend lots of love and support and make sure to spend as much time as you can w/ her in the next few months.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Thanks for your wise words, Vicky. Alas, they were going to remove the rest of her thumb at last notice...I will find out more this week, but I fear it's not good news.

Blessings,

Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  8:32:01 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
I'm sorry, Marg. I wish her the best - Nicole
Go to Top of Page

Zen_Knitter
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  5:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Zen_Knitter's Homepage Send Zen_Knitter a Private Message
Marg, your friend is in my thoughts and prayers.
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
My husband had a malignant melanoma years ago.

She is in my thoughts and on my list............

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1924 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I will keep her in my thoughts. I hope that you and her knitting friends can bring her comfort.

This past week has been very similar for me. A good friend in our knitting circle has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. she is so young!! (30!!) We've all been rallying behind her, but we feel so confused as well. Please keep her in your prayers as well.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000