Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 Smiley's Yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  7:21:33 PM  Show Profile Send Terry a Private Message
If you have recently purchased on-line from (http://www.smileysyarns.com/) please advise if you think they are good or not. Their prices seem too good to be true on the better yarns. Just want to make sure they are good to deal with especially since its via the internet. Thanks!

sanjonme
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  8:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send sanjonme a Private Message
Hi Terry, I purchase fairly regularly from smiley's and I have a friend in New York who goes to the hotel sales they have for me. The prices are pretty good, but they seem to be in the less popular colors.

Did you hear they found bones on the moon? Looks like the cow didn't make it....
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  8:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
smiley's specialize in discontinued colors, and overstocks.

Not all of there yarn is, but the best buys often are..

if you run out, you won't find the color (forget the dyelot) anywhere.. (unless you luck into someone who also bought from smiley's.

No yarn or store is perfect--smiley's has great yarns at great prices (they are actually my closest yarn store, accessable by car and public transportaion) but you have to be carefull with the sales. make sure you buy enough of what ever you buy, because once its gone, its gone!

smiley's is a great way to get great yarns at great prices.. but they don't always have a complete range of color!

the store is old and established (from the 1930's) and their online history is good.. If you ever come to NY, they are worth the trip!(they are a good 40 minutes by subway from downtown!)

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  9:02:27 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I've had good luck with Smileys. Not a huge selection or choice of colors but the prices are great and I would shop online again with them. Helen is right, buy enough of what you need and you should be fine.

M L
Go to Top of Page

jennidina
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  9:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Send jennidina a Yahoo! Message Send jennidina a Private Message
i live a bus and train away from their store. it really is great if you are just looking for random stuff to do a project with. as for their online store i never ordered from it but i am sure it is just as nice. i would recommend them highly (plus they were my first LYS)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  07:59:51 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I've bought from them quite a bit over the last 2 years. The prices are very good, and nearly everything has worn quite well. Much of it is machine-washable blends that work very well for people (school-age and younger, in my case) whose sweaters and such need to be decontaminated regularly!

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

kavatar0@excite.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:15:47 AM  Show Profile Send kavatar0@excite.com a Private Message
I ordered and everything is fine. There is a minimum order requirement though.
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  7:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
I've ordered from them a few times and have been very happy with what I received. Their prices are great and the yarn is good quality. I definitely will keep ordering from them!

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com

http://knitting.meetup.com/606/

Langhorne Knitting Meetup Group
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  2:05:56 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
We, too, just placed our first order with Smiley's. Our order arrived 3 days after we placed it. Everything was very nice and we were very satisfied. Thanks for telling us about this place.

Jennifer and Patty

"There are two ways of spreading the light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." --Edith Wharton
Go to Top of Page

knitdamsel
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  9:31:22 PM  Show Profile Send knitdamsel a Private Message
I placed an order at Smiley's last year. Watch out! There were so many bargains...I didn't realize how much yarn I was ordering until the box arrived a few days later. It was HUGE. Then I had to find creative places to store all of it. This year I'm on a YBNA yarn diet, so I can trim my stash down to reasonable proportions.

http://www.knitdamsel.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  10:00:26 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'd order form them if they shipped outside the US. Luckily though most of the Patons prices are not that much cheaper than what I buy them for here. I would still like to try it though!

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  07:38:11 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I've bought from Smiley's, too, and my thoughts echo everyone else's...limited colors, not a lot of natural fibers. That said, I'll continue to buy from them for the things they do carry! I got a bunch to make felted bags, some to make a practice hat on before making the "real thing" on more expensive yarn. My order was a bit mixed up and I called to correct it. The person I spoke with was gracious, helpful and funny. I kept what they over shipped and they shipped the missing yarn that day...I got it two days later. Good service!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  2:20:27 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
Knitdamsel, can we relate! We just went to Smiley's and spent $114! I told Jennifer if I ever ask to go to Smiley's again, please save me from myself! I think I need some kind of program (10 step?)

"There are two ways of spreading the light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." --Edith Wharton
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  01:36:04 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
When I received the first installment of my inheritance from my father, I went absolutely nuts orderign stuff. Luckily, we have a family friend in Long Island who drives up regularly and is more than happy to receive and deliver stuff for me. This means I can take advantage of places like Smiley's and overstock. But I try not to abuse the privelage. She's the giftee of the peach/raspberry mittens on my blog. Just my way of saying thank you!

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  8:27:33 PM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message
I've liked what I bought from Smiley's, but I have a question. Have any of you found that they overestimate the quantity needed? With the Plymouth DK, they recommend something like 12 skeins, and a friend ended up using only 7. On one of my projects, I also ended up with several extra skeins. This seems to be fairly common.

Is there a way to get a more accurate estimate?

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  9:30:30 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
Interesting...When I ordered from them, I had some patterns in mind for the yarn and did not bother with their recommendations. And this is from a book from which I've made 2 items, and they were accurate in terms of yardage.

I would then suggest looking at Ann's Budd "Knitter's Handy Guide to Yarn Requirements" if you don't have a pattern in mind when shopping.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?