Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Kool-aid and silk
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tobyjavin
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  1:09:18 PM  Show Profile Send tobyjavin a Private Message
Has anyone tried overdying silk with kool-aid? My mom bought a silk shirt and the first time it was washed it turned spotted. something about the dye didn't take right. I told her I wanted the shirt since she couldn't wear it as it was. I was planning on making a baby something but thought I might try dying before cutting.

-Rachel

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  2:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
Hi Rachel,

It seems that Kool-Aid dyeing is not going to work on silk, since it's not an animal fiber.

Here is a link on Knitty for more info:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

I'm sure that the silk can be dyed, but hopefully someone who's done it can give you a recommendation.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  4:11:51 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Technically, silk is an animal fiber because it comes from silkworms, but it's not really animal hair, so I don't know if it would take the kool-aid dye or not.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  11:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
It's a protein fiber, so it should work. Try a dab on a seam allowance and see what happens.

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  12:20:30 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Well, how'd it go???

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

tobyjavin
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  07:51:26 AM  Show Profile Send tobyjavin a Private Message
Just did this yesterday. Turned out pretty well. Silk does take the dye although perhaps not as well as wool. I used Black Cherry to over dye a lavender shirt. Most of it turned a med rose. NOT what I was expecting. But I don't think I used enough kool aid & didn't exhast the dye bath. Plus I did this in a gallon size bag & there wasn't quite enough room to make sure it dyed evenly.

Still very pleased with the results & will do again given the chance.

-Rachel
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  08:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
Just in case you do try this again, a few hints...

You can dye any protein fiber with kool-aid (or food coloring, for that matter). To get the best results on silk, you'll want to use a dye-pot with plenty of room for the fabric/yarn to move around. Also, pre-soak the silk in hot tap water with a glug of vinegar and a drop or two of dish detergent. The vinegar will act as a mordant and allow the dye to strike more evenly.

Pre-mix the dyestuff with boiling water. Bring the dye bath to just below boiling (between 180 and 190 degrees Farenheit - use a thermometer), stir in the pre-mixed dye, then put in the pre-soaked silk. Stir gently (I use a chopstick). Allow to remain in the hot dye bath until dye exhausts (water turns mostly clear) or silk is desired color. Remove from dyebath, cool and rinse in warm water until rinse-water runs clear.

You don't want the dye-bath to boil because silk is rather fragile - boiling water is too hot and will "explode" the fragile silk fibers. You do want to pre-mix the dye in boiling water because it will dissolve more easily. I also add vinegar to the dye - again, it seems to help give good strong colors on silk with kool-aid.

There are endless variations on dyeing silk, including painting various colors on the silk and then steaming it to set the dye. Steaming can be done in the oven, microwave, or on top of the stove. Again, it's important to control the temperature. A rule of thumb for dyeing with kool-aid is to weigh the dry silk, then use one envelope of kool aid per ounce of silk.

I love doing this, usually on silk caps that I'm going to spin later. You can get some absolutely beautiful colors!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by