Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting to stop smoking?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bratling
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  3:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send bratling a Private Message
I opened a pack of cigarettes at Noon est today, then I got to doing a few rows on this, then on that, then my kool-aid dyed yarn was dry, so I started to ball that up, and think of the design I was going to do while stuck with my feet out trying not to get a huge tangle.. and then I realized - it's 5. 5 pm.

I'm a chain smoker.. one after the other. And I went five hours without a cigarette... and didn't even start to feel it, until.. I realized I went five hours with a cigarette.

When my SO gets home and I can knit and talk to him face to face, instead of on the phone (my ear piece broke) or in IM - I will be able to quit.. and I will :) More money for yarn!

JustOrb@gmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  06:02:20 AM  Show Profile Send JustOrb@gmail.com a Private Message
Same thing happened with me. I'm not quite a chain smoker, but I did notice that when I started learning how to knit, my cartons of smokes were lasting longer than before. I'm going to work out a deal with my husband where he gives me the money he usually spends on my cigarettes, and I can decide if I want to to use it for more yarn or for smokes. All the same, I am still smoking much less than ever, and that can only be a good thing! Yarn is a much healthier addiction. :D
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
Knitting really helped me when I decided to quit a couple of years ago. I realized that I was really loving the hand motions of smoking, just having a place for "energy" to go. Now I knit and it's so very worthwhile. Sock knitting is especially great--very portable for those moments when you're on the go.

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  1:42:56 PM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Hooray for you! Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I ever did, but I managed, 21 years ago now, and just want to give encouragement to anyone willing to try to quit. And yeah, more money for yarn!

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
CONGRATULATIONS!!

I quit on Dec. 10, but knitting had very little to do with it. Like you, I had noticed that when I was fully occupied mentally and physically (in my case, gardening or yard work), I didn't miss having a smoke. So the notion was already in my mind.

It was also in my mind because I had high blood pressure and can NOT tolerate any of about 8 different meds I've tried, so in the back of my head I was beginning to realize that the b.p. was probably going to require quitting smoking if I was going to control it.

Then, on Dec. 9 I had some symptoms that worried me, and I took my b.p. and the results were stratospheric. "Stroke territofy" is how I've heard them described. (230/193 -- that stratospheric). I must've taken my bp 20 times that day, and got wildly different but all very high readings. Went to bed worrying about it, and still experiencing other symptoms that worried me.

On the morning of Dec. 10, I had my first cig at 9 a.m., then took my bp another time or perhaps several, and continued to be worried sick and actually wondering if I should have DH take me to the hospital!! Finally, at 11 a.m. I smoked my last cigarette.

The next day or so DH asked me how my bp was, so I decided to check it again. When I strapped on the wonderful little wrist cuff device, he looked at me funny and said, "You're putting it on wrong."

Sure enough, I was -- and had been the previous 2 days as well. Put it on right, and my bp was still high, but not
"stratospheric" and all over the board. I HAD TRICKED MYSELF INTO QUITTING SMOKING.

That story absolutely cracks me up. All true. I couldn't wait to tell my Dr., LOL. He got a good chuckle. But even now, after all this time, it absolutely cracks me up.

I will recommend an herbal product that helped me IMMENSELY. I have had so few nicotine cravings after quitting that it's amazing. I still, to this day, have an urge to smoke once or twice a day, but it's not the nicotine, it's the psychological or habitual response. (And I'm freakin' tired of it, too -- I don't even think of smoking at other times.) It's the Independence Stop Smoking Program from Viable Herbal Solutions --

http://www.viable-herbal.com

I had purchased the program several years ago, and was thrilled that the products were still fresh and potent enough to work like a charm. Can't recommend them highly enough, for anyone who might be interested. (And I have no interest of any kind in this organization.)

Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
My heart felt congratulations to all of you who stopped smoking! You could not have done a better thing for yourself! Having seen what it can do, I'm glad I never did. Kudos to you all!
Go to Top of Page

MrsBrooks26
Seriously Hooked

USA
908 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  07:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrsBrooks26's Homepage Send MrsBrooks26 a Private Message
I started crocheting June 2003 and Knitting Decmber 2003 and I stopped smoking June 2003 and trust me if i didn't learn to Knit, crochet, cross stitch, and sew.....I would be smoking lol. I am very active, hyper so i have to do something lol. I had to take Welbutrin for about 6 months after that though i was fine i stopped taking meds and knit knit knit knit crochet crochet crochet lol.

Vanessa,OHIO

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vanessabrooks78/my_photos

Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  07:37:00 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Ex-smoker here. Also heart attack survivor (only 42 when it happened). Had quit when pregnant and was smoke-free for 18 years. Started having a couple cigs/a day again during incredible time of stress and BAM - on the way to the hospital! Please quit. Heart attacks are absolutley no fun. Besides doing something with your hands like knitting, dyeing and the like - also start walking and/or exercising if you don't already. One of the reasons I had minimal damage was because I exercised and ate a healthy diet. Please quit.
Go to Top of Page

emeeekay
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  08:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit emeeekay's Homepage  Send emeeekay a Yahoo! Message Send emeeekay a Private Message
Because of the recent discussions about stopping smoking (and because I've been feeling like crap for quite some time now), I'm going to try quitting again. No, scratch that - I AM going to quit.

PatriciaS, thanks for the link to the herbal supplement - I just ordered it. I've tried Welbutrin, but had to stop taking it because I had tremors; my hands & fingers shook so badly that I couldn't type (which is a bad thing for a technical writer). I think it was probably a combo of the welbutrin & the amount of caffeine I was drinking, but I kicked caffeine last year (though I am starting to use that a little more) - now it's time to kick the cigs for good.

Mandy
Go to Top of Page

MeezerMom
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:44:07 AM  Show Profile Send MeezerMom a Private Message
I'm also a former smoker (one year 2/22/05) who had to have a heart attack (at age 43) before I realized what I was doing to myself. Congratulations to all who have quit - it is the most amazing accomplishment of all, in my book. I still can't believe I quite after 28 years...I started sewing, then took up knitting again - of course, I only transferred my addictions...but these are at least physically healthier (notice I didn't say "financially healthier!" LOL!)
By all means, if you haven't quit - you MUST!! Just think of all that yarn....
Sal

www.knitnana.blogspot.com
>^..^<
You can't have too many cats, yarn, fabric, or sewing machines!
Go to Top of Page

Lumberjill
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lumberjill's Homepage Send Lumberjill a Private Message
Congrats Mandy! I'm not a smoker myself, but I have helped many friends through the quitting stages. I think it's fair to say that we're all here for you while you brave the world smoke-free!

JustOrb, I like the idea of putting your money on the line that way. I'm an overeater, and I will have to do my yarn budget this way: do you REALLY want a donut, or would you rather go put a dollar in your yarn budget jar?

This has been a topic elsewhere, the money-trade-off thing. I can't remember the name, but a search should bring it up. It's a good way to encourage behaviors like exercise, too -- someone I think was putting in a penny for ever calorie burned.

http://laurakeet.blogspot.com/
Be careful or your face will stay that way.
Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
Those of you who have quit are absolutely marvelous and you deserve a huge reward! Like a terrific batch of yarn for a fabulous sweater!

I smoked, but only for a few months a long time ago. To this day, if somebody across the table from me lights up, like after dinner, I still want a cigarette so bad! So give yourself a huge pat on the back, and be proud of how strong you are.

Sparki
Go to Top of Page

MrsBrooks26
Seriously Hooked

USA
908 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrsBrooks26's Homepage Send MrsBrooks26 a Private Message
I know what you mean. I stopped smoking 2 years and still i think about smoking and i cheat from time to time but i can not finish a smoke it makes me sick lol I wish i could get a gift lol i can not afford the yarn i want lol hee hee hee.

Vanessa,OHIO

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vanessabrooks78/my_photos

I love to change my Gif's so people can get a smile and a laugh each time they read my post.

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Knitting has saved my life. I quit smoking 2years and 2months ago now. I never thought I could do it. I returned to knitting actually about 3 years ago now after not knitting since I was in high school (1976)! After a few months of knitting I also noticed that I wasnt smoking as much when I was knitting. I also noticed much to my despair that my yarn was smelling like SMOKE!! . Finally decided that I could use knitting to help me quit. I also used a nicotol inhaler to help with the oral fixation of having something in my mouth. Sometimes I used an odd old wooden knitting needle (gasp!!) Knitting will help you quit coupled with a strong desire to do so and change your life for good! Good luck to all that are trying to quit. P.S I also drank tons of water!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

knitchick1223
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile Send knitchick1223 a Private Message
In June it will be two years since my last cigarette! yippppeeeee! If it hadn't been for knitting it would have been impossible to do!
I now have a bunch more completed knitting projects and healthier lungs! :) Not to sound like a typical reformed smoker but....it was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Rock on ladies,
Melanie
p.s.-it was a two pack a day habit! ouch! :(
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
Sounds like a GREAT way to use your knitting talent AND quit smoking! Keep up the good work!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  1:07:48 PM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
I didn't start knitting to quit smoking, but I notice that I smoke less now that I knit. Besides that I don't want to stop for a few minutes to smoke, I wash my hands after each cigarette before I start knitting again, so it's very easy to go for quite a while without one.

I'm one of the baddies - I don't really want to quit. I enjoy it. Granted, I am glad I smoke less, because I was starting to be quite the little chain smoker, and wasn't happy about that.
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:10:41 PM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
28 hours and counting.... Even with the patch thing, I have the migraine from hell, and feel like I'm about to crawl out of my skin. It will get better, it will get better, it will get better.... arrggh!

--tara

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
It will get better, Tara!

Lot's of us ex-smokers here, and we all survived... Meanwhile, take some Motrin and a warm bath, and knit something you love.

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit4ever
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  8:51:15 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit4ever a Private Message
Hey Kelly;
I've been smoking way too long - and too much too. Recently i've been thinking of quitting and just picking up my knitting whenever i want a smoke. After reading these posts, i'm going to do my very best - i really liked your idea about the handwashing. Cigarettes SMELL AWFUL. Sometimes i can smell people standing beside me who smoke and i think "is that what i smell like?" Not to mention as it is now, when i'm knitting, my cigs usually just burn away to nothing. That actually tells me what my priorites are right there. I'm in the process of a job change, why not make a really positive step? Yes, i think (KNOW deep down)i can do it even though i've never tried before. I am also stubborn.Knitting in lieu of smoking. 1 cigarette = i row of knitting. It's nice to see alot of us have so much in common.
August.
quote:
Originally posted by stubbornkelly

I didn't start knitting to quit smoking, but I notice that I smoke less now that I knit. Besides that I don't want to stop for a few minutes to smoke, I wash my hands after each cigarette before I start knitting again, so it's very easy to go for quite a while without one.

I'm one of the baddies - I don't really want to quit. I enjoy it. Granted, I am glad I smoke less, because I was starting to be quite the little chain smoker, and wasn't happy about that.

Go to Top of Page

Mooseloose
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  2:17:32 PM  Show Profile Send Mooseloose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bratling

I opened a pack of cigarettes at Noon est today, then I got to doing a few rows on this, then on that, then my kool-aid dyed yarn was dry, so I started to ball that up, and think of the design I was going to do while stuck with my feet out trying not to get a huge tangle.. and then I realized - it's 5. 5 pm.

I'm a chain smoker.. one after the other. And I went five hours without a cigarette... and didn't even start to feel it, until.. I realized I went five hours with a cigarette.

When my SO gets home and I can knit and talk to him face to face, instead of on the phone (my ear piece broke) or in IM - I will be able to quit.. and I will :) More money for yarn!

This is day one of my VERY LAST ATTEMPT TO QUIT SMOKING. I MEAN IT!! Anyway, knitting is a great distraction. It keeps the hands and mind busy, and if you watch a favorite TV program and vacuum at the same time, you don't have time or the hands to smoke (heheehhe)

Anyway, you can do it. And knitting is great therapy and so calming no matter what is going on in your life. Keep up the good work. You'll be a non-smoker before you know it.

jacque -- addicted to knitting
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.