Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting to stop smoking?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mooseloose
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  2:19:16 PM  Show Profile Send Mooseloose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JustOrb@gmail.com

Same thing happened with me. I'm not quite a chain smoker, but I did notice that when I started learning how to knit, my cartons of smokes were lasting longer than before. I'm going to work out a deal with my husband where he gives me the money he usually spends on my cigarettes, and I can decide if I want to to use it for more yarn or for smokes. All the same, I am still smoking much less than ever, and that can only be a good thing! Yarn is a much healthier addiction. :D

Use the money on yarn. With the price of cigarettes, you can buy a really nice stash of yarn and not feel one bit guilty.

Addicted to Yarn Now

jacque (recently -- like day one-- non-smoker)
Go to Top of Page

Mooseloose
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  2:20:28 PM  Show Profile Send Mooseloose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bratling

I opened a pack of cigarettes at Noon est today, then I got to doing a few rows on this, then on that, then my kool-aid dyed yarn was dry, so I started to ball that up, and think of the design I was going to do while stuck with my feet out trying not to get a huge tangle.. and then I realized - it's 5. 5 pm.

I'm a chain smoker.. one after the other. And I went five hours without a cigarette... and didn't even start to feel it, until.. I realized I went five hours with a cigarette.

When my SO gets home and I can knit and talk to him face to face, instead of on the phone (my ear piece broke) or in IM - I will be able to quit.. and I will :) More money for yarn!

Hey, just had a brillant thought. We should market a non-smoking kit featuring knitting instructions and a pattern in the fight against addiction. Could make a million!

jacque
Go to Top of Page

Mooseloose
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile Send Mooseloose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scarlet

28 hours and counting.... Even with the patch thing, I have the migraine from hell, and feel like I'm about to crawl out of my skin. It will get better, it will get better, it will get better.... arrggh!

--tara

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.

It will get better. I'm on the patch and have started a new day again...day one. But I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was feeling like crap all day and had the morning hang overs from cig. Just felt like crap in the a.m. and all day. I know it is the cigs because I've quite before. This time is the last believe me and knitting is my salvation.

jacque
Go to Top of Page

reddeviltj@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  06:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Private Message
That's awesome that knitting is helping you to stop smoking. I've used knitting to calm my nerves when work or someone else really gets to me.
When my kids were little I would knit to keep from losing my temper with them. They recently told me that when they were at their worst, I would knit faster. They didn't get their way, I didn't scream and holler at them, and I had more sweaters - so did they.
Now, they appreciate how they didn't turn out to be spoiled rotten.

Lately, I've been using knitting as an "excuse" to not do my "housework" when I get home from work. We moved into a log house last fall and there's still staining to do on the inside. I'll get to it.....

Susan
aka Jeepgirl
Go to Top of Page

Poipill
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  08:53:18 AM  Show Profile Send Poipill a Private Message
That's fantastic! I took a knitting lesson so I would have something to keep my hands busy-I had quit a month before and they just felt IDLE. I had held friends cigarettes without smoking them (hi my name is Dawn and I'm a sadist) just because I missed handling something. Started picking up needles whenever I got a craving and they seemed to go away faster because I was doing something.
Go to Top of Page

helensara
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  10:36:18 AM  Show Profile Send helensara a Private Message
I'm an ex!!! Unfortunately it took an operation for lung cancer to make me quit. Smoked my last cigarette on 4/18/95 and had my surgery the very next day. Ten years have gone by and I'm still holding fast to my orders from the doctors. My two daughters told me that they would never spend another day sitting and waiting for me to come out of surgery ,so if they even thought I'd had a cigarette that would be it! I still every so often would like to have a cigarette after dinner, but the urge passes. I really don't recommend quitting smoking the way I had to!!!! Knitting has been a lifesaver and a wonderful distraction from reaching for that pack of cigarettes.
Go to Top of Page

suzybminton@hotmail.com

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send suzybminton@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have knitter forever.But on Christmas Day 2003 my teenaged son was diagnosed with Testular Cancer and Knitting saved me and him! Whilst going through chemo and Radio.I have knitted over 20 Beanie Hats when his hair fell out! and for the first time ever at the start of his treatment he asked me to knit him a jumper. He got two! Even though April 2005 he is still not clear, knitting has kept me and the family sane.
Go to Top of Page

Stopmeifyouveheardthisone
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile Send Stopmeifyouveheardthisone a Private Message
It's been almost nine years since I quit and at the same time learned to knit. For those of you trying - especially if you are a serious chain smoker or are really feeling bad without smoking see your health care provider and ask for help. As a previous note said Wellbutrin/Zyban can be uncomfortable - made me hyper and I could not sleep well. I was able to do it with Prozac, lots of water and the patch that decreases in dosage every few days. The anti-depressant can be started four weeks before your intended quit day and the 21 mg patch put on on quit day. There are probably lots of newer drugs that will make it even easier for you. There's no real need to tough the physical symptoms out while you work on changing smoking associated habits like coffee and a cigarette first thing in the morning, etc. It's probably harder to quit smoking than to quit so-called harder drugs and for these they have methadone, etc. You deserve a little help. Congratulations to all who are trying - there is no way to stress enough how much better you will feel with no cigarettes at all and how much extra yarn money you'll have. We are all behind you!!

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Begonia03
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send Begonia03 a Private Message
Welbutrin now come in an XL formulation. I tried the plain one a few years ago and did not sleep a wink. I've now been taking the XL for 6 months, started crocheting/restarted knitting at the same time, and have gone from 2 packs a day full strength to 1 pack "ulta light" every 3 days. It's not perfect, but it's progress.
Go to Top of Page

imm
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  09:06:57 AM  Show Profile Send imm a Private Message
life is incredible.by the way, i may be a little long on this one. bare with me. i had quit smoking in 1983 and went without for nine yrs. i started smoking again nine yrs. ago. i opened my yarn shop in "98" which cut way back on my time to smoke. i was so excited and distracted that i really didn't pay attention. among my first customers was a women who wanted to stop smoking. i taught her to knit and we spent time almost daily on hr knitting. she was a success! a few days ago as i pondered how awful i was feeling after a sleep disturbed night and too many cigarettes, i thought of her. when i got up in the a.m. i went to my computer and printed out my blurb. i have posted it in my store and hope that not only will i be able once more to stop but maybe my experience will be passed on to others. The More I Knit The Less I Smoke!
marika
Go to Top of Page

Kiki585
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile Send Kiki585 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by emeeekay

Because of the recent discussions about stopping smoking (and because I've been feeling like crap for quite some time now), I'm going to try quitting again. No, scratch that - I AM going to quit.

PatriciaS, thanks for the link to the herbal supplement - I just ordered it. I've tried Welbutrin, but had to stop taking it because I had tremors; my hands & fingers shook so badly that I couldn't type (which is a bad thing for a technical writer). I think it was probably a combo of the welbutrin & the amount of caffeine I was drinking, but I kicked caffeine last year (though I am starting to use that a little more) - now it's time to kick the cigs for good.

Mandy

Go to Top of Page

Kiki585
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  2:22:06 PM  Show Profile Send Kiki585 a Private Message
Hi there -- Just had to write cuz my doctor has put me on Welbutrin and it is not helping. I was on Lexapro because about a year ago I got very ill. The illness was tremors 24/7 and I still wake up with them if I happen to fall asleep in the daytime. Can you tell me if this herbal remedy will have any anxiety effects? Thanks.......kk
quote:
Originally posted by emeeekay

Because of the recent discussions about stopping smoking (and because I've been feeling like crap for quite some time now), I'm going to try quitting again. No, scratch that - I AM going to quit.

PatriciaS, thanks for the link to the herbal supplement - I just ordered it. I've tried Welbutrin, but had to stop taking it because I had tremors; my hands & fingers shook so badly that I couldn't type (which is a bad thing for a technical writer). I think it was probably a combo of the welbutrin & the amount of caffeine I was drinking, but I kicked caffeine last year (though I am starting to use that a little more) - now it's time to kick the cigs for good.

Mandy

Go to Top of Page

emeeekay
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit emeeekay's Homepage  Send emeeekay a Yahoo! Message Send emeeekay a Private Message
KK - I tried the herbal remedy to help me quit, though not for very long (3 days). Are you also trying to quit smoking or are you using wellbutrin for its intended purpose (anxiety/depression)? It's not really clear to me in your post.

For anyone else who read my gung-ho earlier post and wondered what happened, I was going to write an update since there's been more activity on this thread ... so here it is.

I got the supplement, which they say to start taking the night before your quit day. I set my quit day for a Friday, got rid of all my cigs Thurs. evening, and prepared. Well, I went bananas - the anxiety, the freaking out, the tunnel vision/thoughts of cigs. I tried using the aromatherapy stuff that came with the herbal supplement, which did not work well for me (well, it helped some, but wasn't enough). I made it 12 hours (including the time I slept) before I started rooting around the house & car for stray cigs. Lo and behold, I found a partially finished pack that must've fallen out of my purse in the car.

So. I said okay - I failed today, but I can try again tomorrow and kept up with the supplements, which you're supposed to take several times throughout the day. Friday night I again got rid of all the cigs. Saturday morning - I made it 10 hours this time (including sleep time) before I started going through my ashtrays - I smoke outside only and use empty coffee cans and a plastic cup of water (to fully extinguish the butt). After doing this a couple times, I was thoroughly disgusted with myself - discouraged, and I gave up/gave in.

I'm back to a pack a day, though I was smoking less for a couple of weeks. I will try again - I will - and next time I'll be prepared with nicotene gum and a better plan in addition to the herbal supplement. Knitting helps but doesn't solve the problem completely for me - I need to find another way to take short "me" breaks throughout the day (I've figured out that's one of the reasons I "need" to smoke). Maybe short spurts of exercise or something.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Anyone who's successfully quit or is trying to quit and is counting the hours/days since their last smoke has my complete admiration. I wish I'd never started.

Mandy
my knitting projects
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  10:16:12 AM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Why is it that those who were foolish enough to start smoking get all the praise when those of us who were smart enough to never start, not a single puff, don't get mentioned?

Sorry, but I do think we non smokers are ahead of those who stopped. No, I don't know how hard it is to stop nor will I ever. I was just smart enough to never start.

Cheers for the never-somkers amomg us. We deserve {{{{{ }}}}} hugs to the nth degree. And our yarn does not stink of smoke.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Margie

Why is it that those who were foolish enough to start smoking get all the praise when those of us who were smart enough to never start, not a single puff, don't get mentioned?

Sorry, but I do think we non smokers are ahead of those who stopped. No, I don't know how hard it is to stop nor will I ever. I was just smart enough to never start.

Margie

So what`s your addiction/drug of choice, Margie? Mine`s chocolate. I don`t smoke because it makes the chocolate taste funny.

I`m not knocking your statement about it not being smart to start smoking, because it`s true. But we all do something that wasn`t smart to start, surely?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

emeeekay
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  1:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit emeeekay's Homepage  Send emeeekay a Yahoo! Message Send emeeekay a Private Message
Margie - have you no vice? Have you never tried to lose weight, exercise, go vegatarian or vegan, reduce the amount of yarn you buy? We've all got problems - we're human. Quitting smoking is like any other endeavor in self-improvement. There's nothing wrong with getting support as you're trying to change and receiving praise when you actually accomplish the goal.

Mandy
my knitting projects
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  2:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
This is off-topic but I think that everybody is addicted to something or at least has a comfort food/drink/item/habit. So called "Lower" animals have been known to get "high" off plants or excretions from other animals.
I don't think that being addicted in excess, like smoking (yes, I'm trying to quit), drinking, drugs, religious fanaticism or whatever is okay, but we all need a little pick-me-up once in awhile.

Chia

http://munkiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  09:47:54 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
A previous poster asks, "Why is it that those who were foolish enough to start smoking get all the praise? .... Cheers for the never-smokers among us. We deserve hugs to the nth degree."

Reduced to its essentials, the question is: Which is the more admirable -- to daily confront and resist temptation, or to never have been tempted at all?

Most people begin smoking as teens, a time of life when the brain is going through a last critical burst of developmental activity. The part that controls impulsive behavior and rational decision-making is not fully developed yet, and at the same time the brain is at its most vulnerable state for hard-wiring certain behaviors.

Nicotine is one the most highly addictive substances known to science. Right up there with heroin and cocaine, and recent research suggests even more so! Long-term smokers who manage to overcome this addiction have fought an unimaginably difficult battle -- a battle that they must continue to deal with every day for the rest of their lives.

Nonsmokers are certainly blessed, but hardly due congratulatory fanfare IMO. My cheers, hugs, and great admiration are reserved for those who fight and those who have prevailed over this Herculean adversary.

KarenB
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  05:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
You are so right.... nicotine is more addictive than heroin or alcohol. I quit smoking in November. I discovered knitting in January.. and gosh, I have to say that it really has helped. Knitting has enabled me to deal with the psychological addition with nicotine. Every once in a while, I still get an urge, but I have been fortunate that it passes quickly. All the money that I used to spend on cigarettes is now being spent on yarn. Needless to say... I spend a lot of money on yarn!!! lol
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

lenise
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenise's Homepage Send lenise a Private Message
I'm a very addictive person so when I started smoking it was the worst thing that could have happened to me. I keep telling myself that the $3 could go to buying yarn but I bought another pack this morning. I'm a chain smoker also so I always have to do something with my hands. If I knit constanly I wouldn't smoke. But who's going to drive me everywhere so I can keep my head down and knit?

me: www.lenise.com
blog: www.creepwithneedles.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by