Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting to stop smoking?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I smoke. I enjoy my cigarettes. I made a new rule when we moved to PA from OR. NO SMOKING IN THE HOUSE. I got so tired of washing walls in general and the bathroom off of the washroom was major yuck! DH would go in there and smoke.

Now our walls are clean, our house does not smell and we smoke less. How many of you would go outside, in the dead of winter, sit on the front porch and smoke? Just getting ready to go out is a pain! Then, think about how hot and humid it is now! I don't like to leave my air conditioned inside to go out into that heat! Now I bought a new car and the rule? Your right - NO SMOKING IN THE NEW CAR! Again, fewer cigarettes being consumed. It is a way to break cetain habits. Restrict areas where you can smoke. The next step will be the "no smoking" side of the restaurant! It is helping and I am saving money (not really, I'm buying more knitting supplies, books and yarn). I have also switched to the Capri's which are very long and very skinny. A couple of puffs and I put it out and go back inside. Then when I go back out I light up the same cigarette and have a couple more puffs (ick) and that helps. It is getting to the point where I am not even enjoying lighting up. Yes, I do the wash hands thing also, but I have always hated "dirty" hands. I don't know if I will ever totally quit, but I sure am smoking less.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:36:12 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Sharon- I agree with all your steps around the house and have tried some to no avail. DH has put in a high-powered air filter/cleaner in both house and my car, and believe it or not they really work according to my non-smoking friends. The only smoke evidence was when washing the inside of kitchen windows. It doesn't help that DH stopped cold turkey either. This hasn't helped my motivation much as I really like smoking also. I hope this thread will keep me motivated to at least think about it.
I just came back from a 3 hr trip on a jet-knitting really helped. I was kind of amazed that I didn't crave as much as when I'm not knitting. I do have a hard time with the 5 hour West-to-East Coast junkets tho. Just a tad too long. I am aiming to be more guilt-ridden about this issue and I appreciate all the post information as we are all considered as some kind of reprobates to some people. KL
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
OMG- After posting, I looked to right of screen and there is a site called Smokers Rescue System- Are they spying on us?[blush]KL
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  1:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message
So, I quit smoking around 1 am on Friday/Saturday after I picked up my copy of the new Harry Potter -- I figured it would be a good distraction for that first couple days of no smoking -- well, I finished the book Sunday pretty early....I've been restless and anxious for 4.5 days now, but last night I picked up my needles and started my second broadripple sock and I could actually concentrate! Anyone that has tried to quit knows that it is very hard to focus that first week or 2, but I think knitting will keep my hands busy and engage me enough to forget smokes (at least for the time between my Nicorette). Well, just thought I would add my little knitting/quitting smoking scenario. Good luck to everyone that is quitting or about to or has quit or never started! :)

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  9:36:02 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I remember a Christmas wreath I'd sewn (as a gift) before I quit nine years ago. I was soooo embarrassed, because I was told it stank of smoke, and I didn't even realize it. Yuck.

Good luck to all cig quitters and empowered knitters out there! Easy breathing and good health are highly underrated phenomena. Let's keep breathing easily, shall we?

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  04:46:34 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
My daughter moved back home a while back and was a heavy smoker. She complained about having to go outside to smoke. I have never been a smoker, so I do not understand what it's like, but having to stand outside in my pajamas in the freezing cold would be incentive enough to quit. I offered to teach her to knit if she would try to quit. She agreed, so we went to the LYS and she picked out several yarns for scarves. Knitting gave her something to do with her hands and focus on. She also attended smoking cessation classes. I am very happy to say that was 18 months ago and she has not smoked since.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Kimbre
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  6:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimbre's Homepage Send Kimbre a Private Message
I, too, am a smoker and I have found that knitting helps. It's really that whole hand having to do something kind of thing that I crave and I smoke the heaviest when on the computer. I have decided to quit a week after the kids go back to school (as summer vacation is NOT the time to try ) I have patches given to me by a friend and that combined with the weather being cool enough to go back to knitting (We only have a/c in the bedroom and the last few days it has been close to 100 degrees)I am willing to give not smoking another try. I really think knitting will help and all you who have done it are quite inspiring!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?