Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 Synthetic dyes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

DOROTHY
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile Send DOROTHY a Private Message
I don't personally know about using synthetic dyes on yarn, but I know that it works like a charm to dye all wool fabrics for rug hooking.

I hesitated a long while before hooking my first rug because of the complexities and EXPENSE of dyeing the fabric with dye made specifically for rugs. Well I decided to just jump in with off-the-shelf dye. Since I had taken art lessons years ago I knew something about mixing colors (I imagine most everyone does). I just forged ahead and mixed away.

Since my original plunge, I have made many original rugs, many of complex design and colors. They have all been colorfast, as far as I can tell. It's very liberating to know that with some (usually pure white, all wool) fabric and off the shelp fabric dye you can have an endless palette of colors to choose from.

I just saw a intarsia pattern on the web that has about 25 different small amounts of colors and I believe I'm about ready to take another leap of faith and try dyeing the colors I need, this time with white pure wool yarn.

I would be appreciative of anyone sharing their experiences in this area. I would also like to know I anyone has tried dyeing acrylic yarn, I imagine it would not be colorfast or take colors well.

Thank you.

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  11:00:35 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
As far as I can tell, I can't find any info on dyeing acryllic yarns. I would assume they have to be dyed in the creation process and once you're done, you're pretty much stuck with what the manufacturer created.
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  04:52:19 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I think you're correct in that assumption. The plant and animal fibers have to be mordanted before dyeing to open up the fibers so that they will absorb pigments.

However, I would think that you could try the acid fast dyes on acrylics and see what you get out of it. They may be strong enough to overdye acrylic fibers.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2364 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I recently took a clas with Sally Melville, who uses overdying as a technique for using up various stash yarns that are pretty awful on their own. She mentioned that she uses a sye called Dylon, and that it dyes "pretty much everything, to a greater or lesser degree". Anyone had any experience with this dye? I've never heard of it, but am assuming that it's a synthetic dye. Since I heard this I've been casually looking for it, but no luck so far.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

DOROTHY
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  05:35:26 AM  Show Profile Send DOROTHY a Private Message
Dear Sheila,

I looked up Dylon with AlltheWeb.com search engine and I found some sights with lots of info on Dylon and where it could be purchased. I e-mailed the company and am waiting an answer if it can be used on acrylic type yarn. Thank you for the information.

Go to Top of Page

DOROTHY
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile Send DOROTHY a Private Message
Thought I'd let you know that I did get a reply and the company said that it would only work with nylon, not acrylic yarn. Bummer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe