Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Bamboo - Southwest Trading Company
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  10:42:59 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
Greetings to all! Does anyone have experience with this yarn? I bought some last week with no specific project in mind and, yesterday, started swatching for project No 13 in the current Rebecca (2x2 rib top with leaf lace wide V yoke and sleeves). The yarn is soft and silky, and a tad slippery. The plying is loose enough that it could be prone to snagging if not adequately supervised (I was definitely audio only for last night's TV time - if there were any juicy scenes, I missed them). I'm reasonably sure that it will look lovely in the lace portion, but have not yet swatched for that. However, in the 2x2 rib it is behaving like Euroflax linen with the second knit stitch of each rib being prone to distortion (I knit continental). Norwegian purling might solve the problem (if I could remember how to do it). Then again, ribbing is simply not recommended for Euroflax linen. I'd wash the swatch, to see if the stitches even up, but there are no washing instruction on the label, nor do there appear to be any at the website. Can somebody save me from a weekend of experimentation? Should I just switch to mercerized cotton and be guaranteed tidy and shiny ribs with minimum aggravation but end up with a weightier garment?

Suzanne

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I am almost done with the Crystal Cove Pullover out of this yarn. Mostly, I've enjoyed using the yarn. I used bamboo circulars with it and only snagged it a couple times. I don't think that it would work all that well with ribbing, though. I had emailed the company to ask about care instructions. They said it was best dry cleaned. I plan to hand wash. I talked to a yarn shop about it and they just said to expect potential change in color with hand washing. My Bamboo is a rich red color, so I will likely use some vinegar in its bath. I don't belive in dry cleaning. Since I'm not done with my garment and haven't yet worn it I cannot comment too much on wear and such. However, it's pretty heavy, heavier than I would have expected. So, I'm not sure that cotton would be that much weightier. The drape of the Bamboo is wonderful and the hand is so silky.
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  10:38:59 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
I used this yarn in a shawl, and agree - it drapes wonderfully and is extrememly silky. My shawl was knit in the round, so no purls, but I didn't notice any issues with snagging - actually no issues at all. I worked it on bamboo needles, and thought it knitted up like a dream.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  11:30:56 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
Thank you Amanda and Mary for your feedback. With the Bamboo, in both the ribbing and the lace, I ended up with a crisper hand to the fabric than I would have liked, even on larger needles (I swatched in 6-8). I switched to mercerized cotton yesterday and am liking the results much better, and it will be much softer against the skin. It wasn't so much snagging that was a problem as the little individual strands in the ply that seem to want to form loops outside the stitch on certain stitches (this was more apparent in the lace). You're right, the bamboo is the same weight as the cotton.

In the light of what you have told me, I shall either save the rest of the Bamboo for something like a shawl that won't need frequent laundering, or return the 3 unused skeins for store credit. I'm glad someone was able to tell me about the dry clean recommendation - I was eyeing the Murphy's oil soap (gentle soap for wood: bamboo is wood) and wondering whether I should plunge my swatches in a bubble bath of same and see what happens! I might still do that.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?