Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Maratona
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kknit
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  11:22:16 AM  Show Profile Send kknit a Private Message
The reviewer mentions that this yarn stretches slightly when washed. This is a gross understatement. I made two garments with the yarn a sweater and a hat. I knit both at the recommended gauge using simple stitches, the behavior of which I know well. I washed in COLD water by hand, with no agitation, very carefully rolled them in towels to absorb the water, then laid them to dry flat. They both grew by 20%! The hat I gave away to a relative with a big head, and the sweater I kept and wore as a top layer. It wasn't that great, as the neckline kept getting larger and body looked sloppier and sloppier. Then I washed it again - again, being very careful not to stretch it and using cold water and Woolite. It is now even larger, and the yarn has lost all its elasticity. The sweater has the feel of an elastic waistband ruined by drycleaning. Yuck! Don't be seduced by the beauty of this yarn in the skein and while it is being knit - it turns into a hideous beast.

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  8:01:02 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
The Winter Issue of Interweave Knits has a pattern for a sweater that I think is beautiful (except I don't care too much for the color). (p. 22) However, it is made with Maratona yarn, which seems to have mixed reviews. The review suggests replacing it with Tahiki Cotton.
I think that if I made this sweater I would want to stick with a merino yarn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good choice?

Thanks
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  8:01:02 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
The Winter Issue of Interweave Knits has a pattern for a sweater that I think is beautiful (except I don't care too much for the color). (p. 22) However, it is made with Maratona yarn, which seems to have mixed reviews. The review suggests replacing it with Tahiki Cotton.
I think that if I made this sweater I would want to stick with a merino yarn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good choice?

Thanks
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  10:28:46 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Is everyone sitting down? Good, because -- ready for this? I love Maratona! I've never had a problem with it stretching, although I don't wash it this way, and it knits up nicely for me -- although I wouldn't use bamboo needles on it. I love the way it feels against my skin, and I love the way it looks knit up.

It is truly one of my favorite yarns.

The one trouble I have had with it is rot, but that's in a couple of balls that I purchased in about 1985 on sale and just knit up last month. I figure if it lasts for 18 years, and just weakens and breaks a little, it can be forgiven... It was only on the outside of the balls, and only on one or two.

That said, maybe it's the slightly more cavalier way I wash it? I generally throw all my wool jumpers into the washer, in bags, with Ivory Snow or Dreft, on the gentle cycle, in warmish water and lay them over a rack to dry. I've never had any trouble about stretching, and they rarely felt. (Well, OK, my workhorse Cascade 220 is felting a bit, but that's a Good Thing! And it never gets to go for a water ride in the jumper bag -- it's prissier sisters get to ride in the bag. The Cascade just goes in au natural.) I can't say for sure that this is why I've had better luck about stretching, but it's offered for whatever it's worth.

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2003 :  10:28:46 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Is everyone sitting down? Good, because -- ready for this? I love Maratona! I've never had a problem with it stretching, although I don't wash it this way, and it knits up nicely for me -- although I wouldn't use bamboo needles on it. I love the way it feels against my skin, and I love the way it looks knit up.

It is truly one of my favorite yarns.

The one trouble I have had with it is rot, but that's in a couple of balls that I purchased in about 1985 on sale and just knit up last month. I figure if it lasts for 18 years, and just weakens and breaks a little, it can be forgiven... It was only on the outside of the balls, and only on one or two.

That said, maybe it's the slightly more cavalier way I wash it? I generally throw all my wool jumpers into the washer, in bags, with Ivory Snow or Dreft, on the gentle cycle, in warmish water and lay them over a rack to dry. I've never had any trouble about stretching, and they rarely felt. (Well, OK, my workhorse Cascade 220 is felting a bit, but that's a Good Thing! And it never gets to go for a water ride in the jumper bag -- it's prissier sisters get to ride in the bag. The Cascade just goes in au natural.) I can't say for sure that this is why I've had better luck about stretching, but it's offered for whatever it's worth.

Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Jennifer - I'm making the Renaissance Tunic from Interweave Knits using a different yarn substituted for the Maratona. I'm using Cottage Craft, which is the basis worsted wool sold at the LYS. If you have a favorite worsted weight merino, give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Jennifer - I'm making the Renaissance Tunic from Interweave Knits using a different yarn substituted for the Maratona. I'm using Cottage Craft, which is the basis worsted wool sold at the LYS. If you have a favorite worsted weight merino, give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

msroser@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile Send msroser@yahoo.com a Private Message
I LOVE Maratona. I'll buy yours if you hate it. :)

The thing I love about Maratona is that it's a wool you can wear next to the skin. I knit it at an aran gauge (4.5 st/in) on size 7 needles and have never had a stretching problem. I've knit my husband, my toddler daughter and myself garments from it with no problems.

I'm so glad it's available again.

rb
Go to Top of Page

msroser@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile Send msroser@yahoo.com a Private Message
I LOVE Maratona. I'll buy yours if you hate it. :)

The thing I love about Maratona is that it's a wool you can wear next to the skin. I knit it at an aran gauge (4.5 st/in) on size 7 needles and have never had a stretching problem. I've knit my husband, my toddler daughter and myself garments from it with no problems.

I'm so glad it's available again.

rb
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
I have some of Maratona I bought just before I discovered KR...wouldn't you know! Because of Clara's review and posts I just set it back.

I got it out a few days ago and began playing with it. I love the way it knits although it could really split if you weren't careful. I can't stop trying stitches with it. I finally finished a good sized swatch. I didn't measure it before I washed it but I gave it a good hand washing in luke warm water. It became limp as a rag in the water. I gritted my teeth but went ahead with the wash. I rubbed it more than I would any sweater. Once the wash was over I layed it out to dry. I just patted it into shape. Once dried the gage was perfect 20 sts/in and no pilling. While it remained soft it did lose its lofty-thick feel and look but the stitches were even prettier when it dried.

Would I like to get my hands on some more of this yarn...Yes! I have been searching the web for 2 days and I only found 2 sources for it. If anyone has any suggestions where I might purchase some I would appreciate it. I think the company may have gone out of business or merged with another company. If Maratona is not avaiable does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I guess any worsted weight but what would be as soft as Maratona? Cottons that I am aware of are to heavy. I wonder about Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece....

Sorry for the length. Once I get started I can't shut up...
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

I have some of Maratona I bought just before I discovered KR...wouldn't you know! Because of Clara's review and posts I just set it back.

I got it out a few days ago and began playing with it. I love the way it knits although it could really split if you weren't careful. I can't stop trying stitches with it. I finally finished a good sized swatch. I didn't measure it before I washed it but I gave it a good hand washing in luke warm water. It became limp as a rag in the water. I gritted my teeth but went ahead with the wash. I rubbed it more than I would any sweater. Once the wash was over I layed it out to dry. I just patted it into shape. Once dried the gage was perfect 20 sts/in and no pilling. While it remained soft it did lose its lofty-thick feel and look but the stitches were even prettier when it dried.

Would I like to get my hands on some more of this yarn...Yes! I have been searching the web for 2 days and I only found 2 sources for it. If anyone has any suggestions where I might purchase some I would appreciate it. I think the company may have gone out of business or merged with another company. If Maratona is not avaiable does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I guess any worsted weight but what would be as soft as Maratona? Cottons that I am aware of are to heavy. I wonder about Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece....

Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Maratona is still available, and pretty widely. My LYS just got in several cases, and I usually see it at others that carry Baruffa yarns.

Online, www.yarns-and.com has it, in all the colors, although they may not have the best ever prices. I'm sure a lot of the other online yarn sources have it, too.

They used to make a sport weight version, called Aerobic, that was great for lacy things, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Too bad, because I had a great idea about a spanish lace patterned top out of it...

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Maratona is still available, and pretty widely. My LYS just got in several cases, and I usually see it at others that carry Baruffa yarns.

Online, www.yarns-and.com has it, in all the colors, although they may not have the best ever prices. I'm sure a lot of the other online yarn sources have it, too.

They used to make a sport weight version, called Aerobic, that was great for lacy things, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Too bad, because I had a great idea about a spanish lace patterned top out of it...

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  9:39:53 PM  Show Profile Send Helen a Private Message
Thanks, I will go check them out. I went ahead and started one of the sweaters from an old (Fall/Winter'86) Vogue. I have loved this pattern forever and it called for Maratona. When I got this yarn I looked at the pattern but it still scared me...but a year later I picked it all up again and it made sense! Establishing the pattern wasn't easy but it is going nicely now!

On one of the web sites I visited when I was looking for Maratona it said Baruffa/Lane Borgosesia was now handled by LB USA. What ever that is. A distributor I guess.

Off to Yarns-and.com...what color to choose?????

Thanks again!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Thanks, I will go check them out. I went ahead and started one of the sweaters from an old (Fall/Winter'86) Vogue. I have loved this pattern forever and it called for Maratona. When I got this yarn I looked at the pattern but it still scared me...but a year later I picked it all up again and it made sense! Establishing the pattern wasn't easy but it is going nicely now!

On one of the web sites I visited when I was looking for Maratona it said Baruffa/Lane Borgosesia was now handled by LB USA. What ever that is. A distributor I guess.

Thanks again!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page

Helen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Thanks again!
Helen

I love strings
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by