Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 knit stich before purl stitch loose... arrgh! help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beanmama
Chatty Knitter

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  3:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit beanmama's Homepage Send beanmama a Private Message
Whenever I go from knitting to purling, the last knit stitch before the purl stitch is looser than my other knit stitches and there's almost a gap between that stitch and the purl stitch. Going from purl to knit is nice and tight and even, but I canNOT seem to tighten up that knit-before-a-purl-gap. It's making me nutzo!! I knit that last K stitch tight and make sure the stitch is snug before a bring my yarn forward, and then knit the p stitch tight but no matter what I do... it's still loose. Needless to say, my ribbing looks like crap.

Help!!!

I blog!
http://www.xanga.com/beanmama

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
I have the same problem - worse in some yarns than in others - and miraculously solved by knitting in the round. That fact alone leads me to believe that it is actually the transition from purl to knit (or is it knit to purl?) on the WS row that is causing the distorted knit stitch on the front. If you knit continental, the possible solution for flat knitting would be Norwegian purling because the yarn stays in back throughout. I've misplaced my instructions for that method or I would have tried it already, but it probably has been addressed in the forums and you should be able to find instructions for it somewhere here. If not, I know it was covered in the spring 2004 Interweave Knits. Good luck!

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

beanmama
Chatty Knitter

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit beanmama's Homepage Send beanmama a Private Message
*sigh* -- I AM knitting in the round :) Love the Norwegian purl, btw!
I wonder if I have the problem when knitting flat, too? Hmmmmm...

I blog!
http://www.xanga.com/beanmama
Go to Top of Page

Knittinit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  8:30:01 PM  Show Profile Send Knittinit a Private Message
Hi Beanmamma, Just from reading your post what comes to mind is that it might be helpful for you to relax, take a deep breath, and hold the yard more loosley. You should'nt need to make your knit stitches "tight" before a purl. I haven't come across anything in my books that says to do this. I was a tight knitter for a while but not anymore, and I don't notice any degredation of my knitted pieces. Knitting should be relaxing and not stressful.

Brenda
Healdsburg, CA
Dreams of finished solar house & my own alpaca & angora to knit up.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
If you can get hold of a Fall 2002 Cast On magazine there is a great article on Tension. Your problem is discussed and the solution is easy. I had the same problem showing up in my ribbing. Basically, just pull your yarn forward (before purls) and give an extra tug. The author, Arenda Holladay, explains it better, but it would not be right of me to copy her advice here.

If you can't find a copy of the magazine you can join TKGA (www.tgka.com) for a nominal fee. Then you also get the Cast On magazine and access to their web site, with your membership. They do have some great and helpful articles both on-line and in the magazine. I joined about 1 1/2 years ago and can't say I am a perfect knitter, but I have learned a few tricks to help my knitting.

Between KR, TKGA and my huge stash of books I should be perfect (HA, HA, HA ROF LOL)

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Another solution is to make that loose stitch a twisted stitch. This is done freuently in knitting, especially in knitting lace, to make those edge stitches behave. What you need to watch on your knitting is that tiny segment of yarn between the stitches. We tend to watch our stitches so closely that we forget about it and if it is too long, it will even out and make the stitch next to it too big.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  08:29:14 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message

What a difference a tug makes! Thank you Sharon! Beanmama: don't start frogging in despair yet. I found that a couple of mighty vertical and lateral tugs on the distorted ribbing does improve its appearance and lead one to hope that all might resolve itself in blocking.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

jerseygirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile Send jerseygirl a Private Message
i have the same problem and have tried all the techniques as well. even knitting in the round didnt help, it was my sock ribbing that looked like crap.

this is what i found that works REALLY well. twist the stitch. when you purl that first stitch, wrap your yarn in the opposite direction. if you are knitting in the round, you will notice this stitch is tighter when you reach it on the next row. that is great. if you are not knitting in the round, you will see that the loops are backwards on the needle. knit as you would normally knit, as in the front loop. it makes for a much nicer ribbing for me and the only thing i have found for myself that works.

hope this helps.

barb
Go to Top of Page

margo@alamedanet.net

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile Send margo@alamedanet.net a Private Message
Have started twisting and it is working. Kind of a pain, though -- do you even do it on k1p1 ribbing? Doesn't that affect the look of the completed ribbing??
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
No, I only do it on ribbing where I have a problem. I don't do it automatically except when the pattern calls for it. You need it more on lighter weight yarns and threads.(like sock yarns and lace weights) I suspect it has something to do with both the weight of the yarn and the size of the needle but, frankly, I'm too lazy to do the research.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
Since there are apparently several of us ribbing along and muttering to ourselves about the results of the various techniques we've tried from this thread, I'm going to toss out a new question:

HOW does one join new yarn invisibly in ribbing, working in the round with mercerized cotton? If you run a few stitches with the yarn doubled, it shows big time (less on the purls because they recede). I would normally splice and re-ply, but I haven't been considering that an option for mercerized cotton because it won't adhere to itself like wool. And, once you have managed to attach that second ball of yarn, the challenge is weaving in the ends invisibly without causing stitch distortion. Surely there must be a trick to this?

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?