Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Want to buy something to organize my needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

telrand
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile Send telrand a Private Message
I am looking for something or things to store and organize all my needles; single point, double point and circular. It would be nice to find something that is already labeled or can be labeled for size. Any suggestions? Teri

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  11:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Patternworks (I'm browsing their latest catalog right now) has several things. I love their rose patterned needle holders (page81 in the catalog) but there are also needle pockets that fit into three ring binders (page 78)...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:41:34 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
I recently purchased a few Ashland Sky Knit Stick Sacks, one each for my circulars and dpns. If you scroll down just a bit, the link takes you to Angelika's site where she has additional pictures of her needles in these pouches. I see that they're offering Pink trimmed cases w/some profits supporting the fight against Breast Cancer. I would have liked to buy these!

Definitely not attractive like the pretty fabric needle rolls, but the stick sacks fit all in one roll that can be easily labeled!

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

MissKitty
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:51:36 PM  Show Profile Send MissKitty a Private Message
I drool over these: http://www.organizedknitter.com/index.html.

I can't really justify spending the $$ right now, though. I've been buying too much yarn lately!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  1:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Here's the above link, corrected (you can't put a period right after the link or it screws it up ) http://www.organizedknitter.com/index.html

In continued drooling over the Patternworks catalog, there are a lot of options in there (I'd say at least ten) so you really should check there!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

sewserious
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  2:05:14 PM  Show Profile Send sewserious a Private Message
www.herrschners.com

They sell all 3 needle organizers from Circular Solutions. One is called "circular solution" for circulars of course. Then there is one called "Sticks" for straight needles, and the one called "Double Points" or "DPN Solution" for dpns. I have the one for sticks and dpns. I use Denise circulars mostly and only have a few others, so I just keep those in what they came in. The Circular Solution allows you to store your circulars out straight so they don't curl up on you anymore.

I don't know what sizes the Circular Solution holds right off hand but someone who has it can tell you or the information is on the Herrschner's website.

The DPN solution holds sizes from 0 to 15 and any length including 4", 7", 10" or longer. There are graduated size pockets for each length. It is sturdy canvas and each pocket is marked with both US and metric sizes. It has a flap that folds over to hold the needles in and then the whole thing folds up and ties. It also has a tab with velcro so that it can be hung on a coat hanger in a closet.

The "Sticks" is similar to the DPN Solution. It also holds up to 14" length straight needles and has pockets for varying lengths. It has the flap and the ability to hang on a hanger also. It has pockets marked for sizes 0 to 13, sizes 15-17 share a pocket. Again, it is marked with US and metric sizes.
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  2:06:02 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I like keeping my DPNs in the plastic toothbrush travel cases. Avoid the ones that have holes on the ends, some have holes to the side instead so the DPNs don't catch in them but water would still drain off the toothbrush. These are great when you need to stuff needles in your bag since the case is hard small DPNs aren't in danger of getting bent or broken.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  2:58:29 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I keep my circs in one of those CD carrying cases - they're safe, compact and easy to label.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

SYD
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  3:23:11 PM  Show Profile Send SYD a Private Message
I found an old wooden tennis racket at a junk store, which I bought not knowing what I would do with it. It turn out that it is a perfect circular needle holder. I wrote size numbers, in order, across the top and now have all of my size 7's in a row, size 8's in a row etc. I looped some extra yarn through the top and hung it on a hook in my closet.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  3:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

Patternworks (I'm browsing their latest catalog right now) has several things. I love their rose patterned needle holders (page81 in the catalog) but there are also needle pockets that fit into three ring binders (page 78)...

I was looking at the rose ones but I could never justify buying something I can so easily make.......so I will futz around until I find a fabric I love as much as that one and make them.
I make knitting bags all the time, so I will probably find enough to make them and a matching knitting bag.
vi
who is still trying to figure subs for the Starmore yarns and I want it all right now!
( I would stamp my feet but the house would fall down, or at least a million cobwebs)

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JoanM
Chatty Knitter

Australia
316 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  04:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoanM's Homepage Send JoanM a Private Message
I use mostly circular needles but was getting frustrated with having to put them in hot water to take out kinks. My low cost solution was to tie a wide piece of elastic to the hanger rail in the wardrobe in my study. I put the needles through the loop - no more kinks. I also have a plastic guage suspended on a piece of wool so I can quickly test the size.

JoanM South Australia
http://www.joanm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

edrechsler@earthlink.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile Send edrechsler@earthlink.net a Private Message
I took 2 fabric placemats, sewed them together at the botton. At the top I sewed ribbon to make tabs to hang the holder up with. I then sewed several seams through both placemats. I made about 15 spaces about 1-2 inches a part. I then took a sharpie pen and wrote out numbers about 5-11. I slip my circular needles in the appropriate slot. The whole thing cost less than 5 dollars and it keeps them organized and uncoiled. I even used a stitch holder at the top to hold a needle sizer so when I finish with a needle I can put it back in the right slot.
Ellen D in NC
Go to Top of Page

zios@earthlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send zios@earthlink.net a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

Go to Top of Page

nan.wyckoff@gmail.com

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:14:49 AM  Show Profile Send nan.wyckoff@gmail.com a Private Message
Try finding a pretty pitcher or vase and put them in there . . . I read that somewhere :)
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
Okay, now this might sound weird, but I keep all of my needles (circular and straight) in a Bass Pro Shops Extreme Double Worm Binder. It is a soft-sided lightweight bag that has 2 zippered sections, each section contains about 12 heavy-duty zip lock bags that are on large rings (like the rings in a school notebook, but bigger). In each of those bags I can easily fit 4 to 6 needles (which I keep in their original packaging). I keep the smaller needles in one section and larger needles in the other section. It's lightweight, easy to access everything, has outside pockets, inside pockets, a place for everything.

I just looked but couldn't find it at the Bass Pro Shops web site, but found one that just sold on eBay (but mine is not at all limp):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7133693510

I asked for it for Christmas a year or two ago, and my wonderful daughter found it for me. I had some fast explaining to do when I opened it! No, I haven't taken up fishing. Yes, it's exactly what I was wishing for... Laughs all around.

I just love this thing! And whoever inherits my stuff when I die just might find a different use for it.

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life
Go to Top of Page

IowaKath
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:30:30 AM  Show Profile Send IowaKath a Private Message
I store my straight 10" and 14" needles in plain vases on my fireplace mantle. I love to think of them as functional and art at the same time!
Go to Top of Page

elk24@cornell.edu
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send elk24@cornell.edu a Private Message
I keep my straight and dpns in a block of wood that I drilled a bunch of big holes into. It works pretty well--I can see them all at once and ideally, they could be organized by size.

It's no good for travel or for circular needles though.
Go to Top of Page

ladysmithknitter
Chatty Knitter

152 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile Send ladysmithknitter a Private Message
I use the same method for my circulars. Found the Worm binder at Gander Mountain, in the Fishing Tackle Dept. One side is for bamboo and the other for metal/plastic. I used a label maker to label the bags. My Denise interchangle box even fits inside! It's a great organizer.

quote:
Originally posted by Sandra C

Okay, now this might sound weird, but I keep all of my needles (circular and straight) in a Bass Pro Shops Extreme Double Worm Binder. It is a soft-sided lightweight bag that has 2 zippered sections, each section contains about 12 heavy-duty zip lock bags that are on large rings (like the rings in a school notebook, but bigger). In each of those bags I can easily fit 4 to 6 needles (which I keep in their original packaging). I keep the smaller needles in one section and larger needles in the other section. It's lightweight, easy to access everything, has outside pockets, inside pockets, a place for everything.

I just looked but couldn't find it at the Bass Pro Shops web site, but found one that just sold on eBay (but mine is not at all limp):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7133693510

I asked for it for Christmas a year or two ago, and my wonderful daughter found it for me. I had some fast explaining to do when I opened it! No, I haven't taken up fishing. Yes, it's exactly what I was wishing for... Laughs all around.

I just love this thing! And whoever inherits my stuff when I die just might find a different use for it.

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life

Go to Top of Page

oldbury8663@msn.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:42:58 AM  Show Profile Send oldbury8663@msn.com a Private Message
I use a white farm pitcher for my straights. I have many different lenghths, sizes and colors. It looks like a bouquet in my knitting cupboard......very Martha Stewart-ish. My circulars go on hooks mounted to the cupboard door and my crocket hooks go in a little planter I received as a gift. I don't buy ANYTHING that might take away from my yarn fund!!! Best of Luck. Mary
Go to Top of Page

nwconklin@live.com

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:43:12 AM  Show Profile Send nwconklin@live.com a Private Message
Many years ago I made a case for all of my double pointed and straight needles and I used single white binding tape to indicate each size of needles. It rolls up and is otherwise very similar to the ones available for $50+. They are easy to make and require very little fabric. Felt would be fun but flannel or upholstery fabric would work fine also. Line it and use a light weight interfacing. Just be sure that it will roll up comfortably and include grosgrain ribbon ties.

For circular needles I use plastic ziploc type bags and mark with indelible pen the sizes on the outside. It seems to work but sometimes I wish I had a better method.
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
i keep my circulars in plastic sheet protectors in a looseleaf binder, one sheet protector per size. that way they are not coiled so tightly as they come in the package, or as in most of the commercial circular holders that i have seen (and tried to my great frustration).

i made a little case for my DPNs out of fabric. it's probably like the ones you can buy. but i think the toothbrush holder for DPNs is ingenious.

i don't use straights so that's not an issue for me, though i have considered buying some pretty ones just to keep in a vase on my mantel.

nell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.